On spec hotel

seefour

Reaction score
Just booked plymouth santander ferry for late may, and three nights in the pico's. We intend to do the rest of the trip on spec, ie: just find accomodation as and when.
Just thought i would ask the assembled experts there suggestions on this tack, or should i do more planning and decide on a route and book all my hotels.
Been doing the on spec holidays for a while now with no problems to speak of, but never tried in spain and portugal.
Everbodys thoughts would be much appreciated.

Shouldn't have any problems. Lots of hotels in the Picos and some towns very well catered for though might be busy at the height of the tourist season.
Stayed at a hostal in Arriondas a while back. Great value and safe parking.
Bu44ered if I can remember the name but over the bridge turn left and on the left in the main square.:aidan

hotels

try potes as it is small town with good facilities and is right in centre of picos

+1 In fact it's better to just turn-up IMHO as you can see the type / standard of place before you agree to stay there! Nowt worse than tipping up at a hostel then seeing a really romantic / rustic / much cheaper at the same standard or just plain better parking hostel right next-door or down the road!

Don't ask me how I know!

It all depends on how many in your group. I normally go half on spec and half booked but that is on my own, with :bow wifey.(We normally find a bar, I have a cold one and wifey finds hotel :augie as that way she can't moan if the hotels shite :D) But if there are more of you it may be worth while booking, as come 4pm everyone and there granny will be in the towns looking for hotel rooms. I have a scarey memory or two in Andora and Lake Como I don't want to go through again :eek::eek: HTH

As already stated, turning up on spec is preferable to booking in advance. In all the years I have travelled in Europe (god, I sound like some boring old fart - presumably because I am one:() I have never experienced problems finding accommodation; even in the height of the holiday season. The number of times I have be given poor quality accommodation is probably only on three occasions in over 30 years.

Booking ahead also could prove problematical in that the location is not what you expected, you wish to stop earlier in an area that has attracted you, the weather dictates an earlier stop would be preferable, etc. You will have no problem and will enjoy the trip immensely. A report with pics on your return would make interesting reading.

My wife and I are booked for the Picos in mid/late May too. We have a couple of nights booked already for when we get there, and couple of nights at the end of our stay, leaving a few nights unbooked yet - so I'm hoping that we don't have any probs finding somewhere on spec too.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom