► Hand Guards, handlebars, risers and levers

Wizard

Reaction score
Just to make people aware that the new 800cc twins have a choice of low & high handguards. The low version is only about 35mm high & whilst providing good crash protection for levers etc, provides minimal protection against rain.

Opting for the high version also allows you to select the taller Touratech style extensions to further increase height & weather protection. End of public service announcement. :thumb

The BMW guards come in two parts:-

Part one... the plastic shield which comes in two sizes.... neither of which is huge, but the large one will have an extension available shortly

Part two... a 12mm (or thereabouts) bar that clamps to the handlebar inside the grips and onto the bar-end (which is replaced with the one from the kit).

These are, IMHO, a proper set of hand guards for a trail bike. They're very rugged, and look it. If you're wanting to keep your hands warm there are better options available now, but for pukka hand guards you'll be pushed to do much better :thumb

Is that the large or small protector? If it's the large, looks like I need to get the spoilers for those....:(
That's the large. If you're lucky, maybe they'll have released the spoilers by the time you get the bike :blast

could be a job for muffs !:blast

The standard 1200GS handguards also fit onto the 800GS and look very good. I'll try to get a pic over the next few days.

Stumpy

Attachments

• Picture 049wee.JPG
    Picture 049wee.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 5,162
  • Picture 048wee.JPG
    Picture 048wee.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 5,056
  • Picture 047wee.JPG
    Picture 047wee.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 5,067
Does anyone know the Torx bit size needed to remove the bar end's on an 800GS? I picked mine up today & was going to fit the hand guard bars... but the Torx drivers in the standard tool kit are all too wee.

Muchos Gracias Wizard.

& If anyone else needs one, the item linked below looks up to the job & is easy on the wallet too! http://www.amazon.co.uk/T55-TX-STAR..._13?ie=UTF8&s=diytools&qid=1206809476&sr=1-13

Does anyone know the size of the female torx socket needed to undo the handlebar bracket bolts? I'm going to fit the touratech GPS bar bracket i think: http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/...=8022&osCsid=d6d0f7887074312ca4db95d3756fb491

Don't need one, just use a standard 8mm hex :thumb

BM0007.jpg

Pic of handguards from underside, shows fitting best. They come with new bar ends and the handguard bar itself feeds through the plastic piece on the inboard end.

Do they include the handguards now or are they an extra?

Extra i'm afraid.

Are those the large size hand protectors you got?

Those are large hand protectors ( the small ones must be tiny) . I have the spoilers waiting for the 1st service at the dealers. BMW actuallly supply a manual for the hand guards,how to fit them together etc. Seems you have to drill the hand protectors to bolt on the spoilers.

BMW Handguards with Extensions & Zumo/GPS mount

BMW Handguards with extensions, very robust and dirty I know. Zumo/GPS mount, excellent position and GPS will still be visible with tank bag fitted. All bits supplied by Southport Superbikes and I believe they have stock of all items.

Attachments

• f800gs 001.jpg
    f800gs 001.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 4,892
  • f800gs 003.jpg
    f800gs 003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 4,949
  • f800gs 002.jpg
    f800gs 002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4,787
I went and bought a pair from a motocross shop £29.99 seen them fitted on a KTM the bmw ones :mcgun look like they wouldnt take a bashing

Hi everyone, ever since I test rode a F800GS in April, I have been curious what peoples experiance of the following has been,

whilst riding the bike through town and at between 40 and 60mph, I had a sense of "white finger" numbness which was particuarly bad when riding through town. :blast

I would be interested if anyone else has had this issue with their F800GS or whether is was potentially particular to the demo bike that I rode? I was quite dissapointed, becuase I really enjoyed the bike apart from having numb fingers every time I went through a town!

thanks in advance!
si

Si, no vibes off mine other than at over 95mph, which incidentally, I haven't done through town yet. Sounds like it's the bike you were on as I've never heard this complaint before either. At the upper end of the odo, I'd imagine they'd more vibey than the 12, but low down they seem silky. You were in 2nd gear at 40 weren't you?

no was in second gear at 40 but spent a lot of time switchng between first and second to see if it changed the vibes. Even with the bike stationary and holding the revs at say between 3.5KRPM and 4.5KRPM you could feel the issue. I know that any bike will vibrate - but I was seconded by my father in law who came out for the test ride as well.

Yes,I have experienced the same in the speed range40-60 miles\hr above 60 it disapaired. After I fitted my Verholen risers all the vibration have gone:D
fishburger

I can't say that I have a problem with mine... 4,000 miles on the clock now.
Gets smoother with revs, pulls like a steam train... no grumbles :thumb

www.adventure.gs

No vibes here. But FWIW I'd note that once one starts to look for these things, the easier they are to find! If I listen hard enough, I can hear my heart beating - especially when I think the camera flashed!

Get someone who says they have no problems to ride the bike and comment, chances are it's your hyped-up sensitivity.

My TT handguards arrived today for my 650 :) - the instructions are as clear as mud though - its probably just me being thick and too used to building flat pack furniture to follow. In flat pack for muppets- the instructions usually come with a contents list that has a picture next to it of each part - that helps me a lot!!!

This stuff comes with the contents
"1 x set of hand protectors GD
1 x installation material".
and a pile of bits, all of which is referred to technically in the fitting instructions but i dont know what an M6x30 is unless it slaps me round the face with a label on it. :eek::eek:

Right. Setting my severe mupperty tendencies aside I braved the garage with all the bits. Raided Wully's toolbox (any excuse) and set to it.

Handguards now fitted - initially I was left with some spare washers :augie (muppet attack) but worked it out - :blast

The only bit I don't like is they fit really close to the wiring and the brake fluid pipe - not much room. Hope its ok.

Pix below....

gardenandbikeJune08033.jpg

step 1

gardenandbikeJune08029.jpg

fitted

gardenandbikeJune08032.jpg

gardenandbikeJune08037.jpg

I think it's a bit squished about here???

gardenandbikeJune08035.jpg

both on :clap thank feck fur that

time for bed
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Piccies here of the Touratech handguards. Well made, fit great, far far better by far than the BMW one's methinks :eek:

Fit nicely with the Micky brake master cylinder reservoir re-location mod :thumb

Attachments

• TT Handguards-3.jpg
    TT Handguards-3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 4,556
  • TT Handguards-4.jpg
    TT Handguards-4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 4,459
  • TT Handguards-5.jpg
    TT Handguards-5.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4,452
Out of interest though, do the TT handguards have a big metal bar running through them? From your pictures they look just plastic.

No problems Twisticles... they're just plastic but described as unbreakable :thumb

They won't be bright and shiny for long...

All the real off road hand protectors, Acerbis etc. are just plastic methinks!

I certainly wouldn't want that metal tubing of the BMW ones folding and bending in an accident and crushing my fingers :eek:

:beerjug:

I certainly wouldn't want that metal tubing of the BMW ones folding and bending in an accident and crushing my fingers

The metal bar on the BMW hand guards is really solid, it's not a tube. I cant see it deforming except under the most extreme conditions, the kind of accident that'd see you ending up a substantial distance from your machine. Hands are usually the first thing to involuntarily move away from the bike in an accident in my painful experience, you'd actually be better served hanging on to the bars if you could pull that trick off...

Them beemer beams are made of the right stuff IMO.

The Acerbis ones have a (sturdy) metal bar as protection if you do drop it, and then the plastic is mounted on to it to protect the hands from foliage etc.

I've had the Acerbis hand guards on a previous bike & the BM ones on my 800GS now. They're both up to the job, it's a styling or a cost choice in my opinion, both work.

I certainly wouldn't want that metal tubing of the BMW ones folding and bending in an accident and crushing my fingers :eek:

Those solid metal bars won't fold in an accident, I can promise that:

2551104465_d4bf115a09.jpg

Doesn't look like the TT ones would hold up under the same cirumstances though...

Fortunately, that bike isn't mine it belongs to World of BMW :beerjug: As you can see in the pic that bike has only the metal bar attached and not the plastics. I think those bars are to protect the levers when the bike is upside down :eek: And they do a good job :beerjug:

The matte black plastic over the air intakes is completely missing, and the silk black plastic around the radiator is entirely covered with gaffa tape, but that all happened before I got my hands on it.

The only damage from that little spill in the pic was a bent gear change lever, which can be straightened again with a little brute force. :clap Anyway, after all this talk of handguards, what we should really be talking about is folding gear levers and rear brake pedals....they seem to be the most necessary bits.

Guess its all down to personal tastes and wallet size.

BMW Metal with Large hand protector and screws: 83,44
TT handguards: 66,20 + transport

Don't need that bigger a wallet to go original so it is down to taste... TT isn't cheap!

Has anyone fitted hand protectors to the new F650GS yet? If so, are they BMW or Givi, or something else, and were there any issues?

Ta!

I got the BM ones, large protectors, spoilers and all. No issues :thumb

Adjustable clutch levers for the digitally challenged ? I'm sure I've seen these mentioned in one of the 650/800 threads but I can't find the thread/post; and yes I've tried the 'search' function. Can anyone point the way :nenau

Push the clutch lever forward and turn the knurled knob next to it.

... done that, and while it helped it's still quite gap and I'm sure I'd seen a solution somewhere on here ;)

Correct me if Im wrong, but hand guards were never designed to protect hands in a crash. They are used on enduro and off road bikes to protect knuckles from stones thrown up by bikes in front, and the odd sticky out branch, so both the metal and plastic ones will do the job they are designed for. ...

You're right about hand guard's purpose--mostly to ward off roost and shrubbery, and protect hands from those large things along the trail called 'trees.' They'll also help if you ride the bike down in a lowside, preventing your hand from going under the bar end and they'll protect your levers as well. I'd go with metal, the plastic kind (Acerbis anyway) will flex enough in a fall to tweak your levers.

Is it true that no one has tried fitting the 1200GS hand guards (the black, old ones or the two coloured new ones) into their 650GSs or 800GSs? Can't be... I remember someone saying they've actually seen the new ones fitted, but no piccies, no fun.

Here's a collage of the new 1200GS hand guards, just to... Yeah, well, I can't figure out a reason, but it won't stop me. They look good, though.
http://jannemankila.googlepages.com/Kasisuojus-innostelu.jpg

PS: My second post here... Hi there! What a great resource this site has been. I'm addicted already - and my superiors don't like it. :D

Welcome there then Jabarai... welcome to the world according to UKGSer :thumb

You might have seniors but you don't have any superiors :eek:
www.adventure.gs

Thanks! Feels like a home, already, since I've been reading these forums for at least half a year.

I have loads of superiors at my workplace, who don't like me snooping around the internet when I'm supposed to be keeping a few processes running and sweating like a pig. :spitfire :type :spitfire

I'm quite eager to contribute and give back something to this community because I think I wouldn't know half as much about the new twins as I do now. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom