Is my QPAC dead?

Macfie

Reaction score
I have a Quest mounted on a RAM mount with a QPAC connected to the bike power socket by a plug. The problem is the Quest will no longer power up. The fault was intermittent at first but now it won't power at all.

I've checked all the obvious things with a meter such as the socket and the plug/fuse and they are fine. I've also checked the two contacts in the cradle on the RHS. My meter shows between 4 and 4.5 volts here, but the Quest won't switch on. When connected to the Garmin cradle in the car the Quest switches on ok, and that cradle is providing 5.5 v at the contacts.

Do you think that corrosion may be the problem with the QPAC? I've cleaned the contacts, but I don't understand why the voltage is a bit low, and appears to vary.

Maybe I should just buy a new QPAC unit? :nenau

Comments much appreciated. :thumb2:

M

Have your contacts lost the gold plating?

If so, they'll be eated away by electrolysis when it rains, and this causes them to not touch the Quest pads. I kid you not, my +ve terminal disappeared in two days during heavy rain and bike left outside (was wired always on).

The QPAC is switching mode. When under no load it will give out a trickle charge which is what you are seeing.

Thanks for the info Snoopy. :thumb2 Yes, the contacts in the cradle have lost the gold plating and don't look 'new' any more. Looks like I might have to shell out for a new QPAC thingy. :(

M

It's only four wires, just cut one off an adapter you don't need and solder it together.

Back
Top Bottom