City Navigator 2008

Richard J

Reaction score
Has anyone put this onto a Quest yet?
If so how do map sizes compare with previous versions and does it slow the thing down

:beerjug:

Still waiting for the disk to arrive...

Apparently the tile sizes were reduced slightly between v8 and v9, I don't have direct experience as I didn't upgrade to v9 (every other year is my approach) but was told that they were slightly smaller. On the preview version on the Garmin site the tiles look the same as in v8 with some smaller ones merged but that preview may well be the NT version anyway (not sure if they use different tile sizes between NT and non NT).

I'm interested in this topic too. I'm a bit concerned that there will be more information per unit area in the new maps (speed limits by road for example), so although the map tiles may be unchanged or even smaller than previous versions, each tile will require proportionally more memory - net result could be that a smaller overall area will fit in the 243MB memory??

I'm interested in this topic too. I'm a bit concerned that there will be more information per unit area in the new maps (speed limits by road for example), so although the map tiles may be unchanged or even smaller than previous versions, each tile will require proportionally more memory - net result could be that a smaller overall area will fit in the 243MB memory??

I wasn't aware that they'd added to the road attributes :nenau Did you read this somewhere? There will be more POIs (ATMs added) and amened/added to road layout where applicable. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

On this subject, has anyone looked into expanding the memory of a Quest?

I'd guess it is just a surface mount chip; so assuming a 1Gb chip is available in the same package and the processor can support it?

I wasn't aware that they'd added to the road attributes :nenau Did you read this somewhere? There will be more POIs (ATMs added) and amened/added to road layout where applicable. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

The Garmin site for CN Europe mentions 'turn restrictions and speed categories' - and loads more POIs (do these load into the 243MB?)

The Garmin site for CN Europe mentions 'turn restrictions and speed categories' - and loads more POIs (do these load into the 243MB?)

I think you'll find that those road attributes were included on the previous versions as well, the additions are the items marked as 'New' in red. I reckon that they should only have a minor effect on file size per tile, maybe a little more in Belgium.

Found an old spec for City Nav v8 on Amazon and it lists those attributes.

The POIs load with the mapping tiles but really they are a minor factor (maybe more of a consideration in cities but then the road density increases there as well), previously there were around 1 million ISTR, the extra area they've added will account for some of the extras. You don't have the option to exclude the included POIs.

On this subject, has anyone looked into expanding the memory of a Quest?

I'd guess it is just a surface mount chip; so assuming a 1Gb chip is available in the same package and the processor can support it?

I think it's a little more complicated that that, the firmware would need to be able to address the extra memory, not sure if it'll do that without some modification. I did see some pics of the inside of a Quest somewhere and the chips are soldered to the board. Quite a few have asked the same question (search Google groups) but nobody I've heard of has been brave enough to try and do it, maybe you can be the 1st... :D I don't fancy the chances of your Quest surviving the surgery though.

I think it's a little more complicated that that, the firmware would need to be able to address the extra memory, not sure if it'll do that without some modification. I did see some pics of the inside of a Quest somewhere and the chips are soldered to the board. Quite a few have asked the same question (search Google groups) but nobody I've heard of has been brave enough to try and do it, maybe you can be the 1st... :D I don't fancy the chances of your Quest surviving the surgery though.

Surface mount is no problem with the right kit - not a big iron:eek::D

As you say, its whether the additional memory will be accepted?

Nice side line, I'll perhaps look into it - when I have some time to kill:blast

Surface mount is no problem with the right kit - not a big iron:eek::D

As you say, its whether the additional memory will be accepted?

Nice side line, I'll perhaps look into it - when I have some time to kill:blast

When you've got it right can I be first in the queue? ;)

Here's some shots of the inside of a Quest but I'm sure I've seen some showing more detail with the whole PCB out somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom