A272

herne

A fantastic road over most of its length with just about everything you could wish for. Passes through some nice little towns and villages and close to some good pubs. The best bit is that it runs almost past my door.

One word of caution. There may be an increased police presence after some prat was clocked doing 139mph on the stretch between Winchester and the West Meon Hut.

Have fun!

When you get to Petersfield , go onto the B2146 to South Harting , then turn onto the B2141 towards Chichester - cracking little run .
The B2141 ends at a junction with the A286 which then goes to Chichester [ or Midhurst if you go the other way ] .

Steady Eddie

Shhhhhhhh!

Keep that South Harting/Chichester stretch quiet will you - one of my favourites too. ;)

Yes, there are many variations like that, all worth doing.

The A272 has long since been swamped with double white lines, speed limits spreading between villages and cloth capped Sunday drivers :mad:

You've got a GS? Then get some OS maps and look for the really good roads.

Iain

Lovely road the A272.

Unfortunately I can sit in my parents garden which is about 1/2 mile from the road on a hill above it near Petworth. From there, you can hear all the bikes with illegal exhausts and, boy, can you hear them. Naturally you don't hear the properly silenced ones. And you wonder why motorcyclists get a bad name. It drives my Mum and Dad to distraction and I can not honestly say I blame them.

The really depressing thing is that you hear a gaggle go through and you know if you wait 1/2 an hour, you'll hear the ambulances in full song.

Paul

Steady Eddie said:
When you get to Petersfield , go onto the B2146 to South Harting , then turn onto the B2141 towards Chichester - cracking little run .
The B2141 ends at a junction with the A286 which then goes to Chichester [ or Midhurst if you go the other way ] .

Steady Eddie

Hey! stop giving out directions to one of the South's best biking roads, that's the run that I use to get to SPC, and if it's a really nice day, I take the off-road route to Petersfield once you get to the top of the Downs.

Next thing you know, Plod will be out with the scamera.

272 is a brill road but far too busy with speed traps in the summer months, especially between Winchester and Petersfield. :redlight :reaper

Keep an eye out for unmarked estate car parked with boot open and maroon ST1100 unmarked.

Give the old 272 changed to B3049 from Winch to Stockbridge a go, then take A30 to Salisbury for tiffin. Good fast sweepers and far safer.

:smokeboun

A339 etc circular route

If you're in the area try the A339 between Alton and Basingstoke, then take the B3400 to Andover, then A3057 to Stockbridge, then B3049 to Winchester and back on to the A272. Nice mix of roads for you

Re: A339 etc circular route

essvekay said:
If you're in the area try the A339 between Alton and Basingstoke, then take the B3400 to Andover, then A3057 to Stockbridge, then B3049 to Winchester and back on to the A272. Nice mix of roads for you

Need to be careful on the A339 between Alton and Basingstoke...
Great road... nice and twisty, but some bends tighten up quite sharply... rated as one of the most dangerous (motorbike) roads in the country with high numbers of accidents... therefore attracts attention of police.

Agree Master Dabber

Yes, thanks for adding that caution. I avoid it on public holidays for the reason of other bikes having a go on it. I know someone who was hit by an on coming bike that didn't make it around one of those corners that tightens up. Still a nice road to ride though.

On the whole I'd say I hear more about the 272 and 339 for fatalities than any other road so maybe its worth adding that caution to the area?

Where are the other "rated as most dangeroud roads" then - like Cat and Fiddle?

Shame really that these great roads are made out to be "dangerous" by those that ride them like nutters and come unstuck or even ride beyond their ability.

A339

Actually the A339 has got so bad that the County Council have got together a leaflet which is distributed in places like SPC that shows all the blackspots and the number of accidents.

It's an A5 flyer and quite an impressive.

I have an old friend who lives at Herriard and has much the same experience of others on this thread regarding noise at weekends - and the occasional thud and silence (no kidding). They have stopped wandering out to find out what it was all about!!

Flyer

Mark - where do you get hold of one of those leaflets? Can't find anything on the Hants CC website.

From the RoSPA web site

Road Safety Measures for Notorious Bike Death Road
5th March 2004

Automatic speed warning signs and other measures are being considered for the notorious A339 Basingstoke to Alton Road which has killed 9 riders in 3 years.

Six speed-reactive signs will be placed on the Waterworks bend, Spain Lane bend and the Lasham crossroads,
starting March 10th.

Agree with all of the above.

Having said that the A272 was one of the reasons for me moving to France in 2000(!)

Why? There are too few decent biking roads around London. The A272 was relatively handy for me, living as I was in Fulham, and I would go out to it on a Sunday morning, early (06h30-ish) and end up at W.Meon at 08h00. It meant that I got the road pretty much to myself but I imagine that the local residents weren't too happy to hear me pass by (even with a std exhaust). By 10h00 and the advent of the pocket rockets, I imagine they were tearing their hair out.
Having spent (too) many years riding without a blemish on my licence, I suddenly found myself nicked twice in two years on the stretch of A272 between Petworh and Petersfield. I realised that the game was up and that it was no longer possible to ride the roads and still find the "grin-factor". Watching the antics of some of our fellow enthusiasts also made me realise that we were living on borrowed time....

It's a shame but inevitable when you consider the chronic overcrowding in the South.

So now I'm here and can revel, once again, in the pure joy of empty roads and an adoring public.

Pip pip

Im so jealous of you guys having all these great roads down there.
A lot of the roads up here are no better than cattle tracks which wend there way round, over , and between mountains and lochs. We dont get to enjoy the pleasure of wide open motorways and resting in a traffic jam.
No, we have to endure miles of desolation, with not a soul in sight.
Went over that Cat and Piglet? road once................. Straight as a die,......... well, it did have a few curves in it...... luxury!!!
Its just not fair.

Think I ll go out now.

Attachments

• paint 001 (medium).jpg
    paint 001 (medium).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 180
Tough up here

Ay, its tough up here Den, Ive often done 200 miles and never seen another vehicle let alone a bike.
The desolation can do strange things to a man, like induce a big ear to ear grin.

Pete A

Well. obviously! You're on the wrong side of the road! NO WAY you're going to get stuck behind traffic!

(D'oh!)

Back
Top Bottom