X challange problem,help

Loz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi guy's,my friend has brought an xchallange and it's wont run properly

symptoms,starts good no smoke or rattles then when it's get's warm run's bad then cut's out,restart when cool then the same again

all connections checked,all sensors computer say's yes,new filter/battery

are there fuel filter's we missed?

any idea's welcomed

cheer's

loz

I don't know the Xchallenge but a good rule to work to is if it sounds like a fuel problem its probably electrical and t'other way around.

So i'd say it sounds like a coil problem:D

Shep

Do you think that the coil problem would be worse when hot though, and wouldnt it affect idle when cold?
Have you thought of voltage regulator/ rectifier, they can go queer when hot can they not? Vacuum in fuel tank when things get warm?

It will be the fuel controller Loz - exactly the same symptoms terminated a recent off road ride when my friends X C broken down. Just get it to a dealar and it will be fixed under warranty and should also get the other updates inc a new level, rear wheel circlip and fuel pipe.

It will be the fuel controller Loz - exactly the same symptoms terminated a recent off road ride when my friends X C broken down. Just get it to a dealar and it will be fixed under warranty and should also get the other updates inc a new level, rear wheel circlip and fuel pipe.

that's right, the fix is to put in a whole new fuel line.

be gentle with me,what is a fuel controller:confused:

loz

Originally Posted by ahg View Post

guy's,i'm relaying this info to my friends in belgum and i don't know what you mean by a fuel controller?

loz

It's under warranty

Take it back and let them sort

a lot of good that is when your halfway up a mountain in portugal,if its a known prob we can prepare for it

loz

Loz,
it's a recall.
They fit a whole new fuel line in,

cheers
G

On the 1200, and I'm assuming it's similar on The XC, the fuel contorller is a smallish solid state/relay type afair that sits on top of the fuel pump under a plastic cover.

Have a look here.

Didn't Gaz suggest that the cure is to fir a whole new fuel line though?

Andres

Hi All,

It's my XC Loz is talking about. Thanks for the tips so far..

My bike is allready at the dealer and they read out every inch of the computer to spot any failures in the electrical system...
We also thought about a failure in the fuel system or the voltage regulator, but wouldn't the computer have picked up on that?

Because the computer didn't show any electrical failures we thought there must be a mechanical failure instead, like offtime cam chain (excuse my english) or something..
Or might the computer miss out on something like this failing fuel pump?

Thanks,
Rose

Hi Rose,

I've been trying to speak to the BMW GB main Technician, he's on a course at present but will keep trying.

It's not the cam chain timing, it can't just slip without some sort of obvious mechanical trauma.

I think it's fuel related, ask if the bike has a Fuel Pump Relay? If so, replace it as it's cheap & worth a go - the bike is under warranty though. :thumb

I'll also run the problem past my Service Manager tomorrow when our system is back online.

Speak soon.

Steve

I don't know for sure if this will help, but;

Have you checked the electrical connetion for the air mixture sensor in the airbox?

I know this can cause problems if its not connected properly. I know you said BW have already checked it on the computer, Just a thought though.

knackered temperature sensor confusing the ECU/fuel controller?

Has the bike been boiled up at all? it may have got really hot and melted some of the solder joints in the alternator, causing the joints to open up when things get hot, and give you an intermittent spark?

Is the cat in the exhaust ok? i had a car (along time ago) that had the cat expire. It breaks down in the exhaust and blocks it's honeycomb* structure in the process, result being as the engine runs, back pressure builds up to the point the engine can't expel all the exhaust gas and runs really badly to the point it expires...? Will start fine again once back pressure has subsided.

*i really hope the Xc doesn't have this...

have you checked the spark once the engine is hot and refuses to start?

hth

nathan

Rose,

Get the Mechanic to check the following two parts:

Idle Control Device (part # 13 53 7 679 998) £47.51 inc. VAT.

Throttle Valve Switch (part # 13 63 1 436 000) £4.51 inc. VAT

Both parts are prone to gumming up on bikes used offroad as they are not that well protected against dirt etc & bearing in mind where this bike came from.......

Good luck, let me know if more help required.

Remember it's under Warranty.....

Back
Top Bottom