This is why: Racing numbers on 'trail' bikes.

Timpo

North Wales TRF
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This paragraph is copied from a letter we (North Wales TRF) have received from a (pro-trail riding) County Council ROW Officer.

"On a related matter i saw a load of trail riders on ktm 4 strokes in Corwen the other day at Rhug.. the cafe shop at Rhug estate who own the county road on the Denbighshire side of the Ffordd Saeson... a threesome in full face helmets covered in mud riding bikes still baring their last event competition numbers on the plates.. the people i was with not knowing i had a sympathy for the sport only as a rights of way officer started a conversation about the rape of the countryside and when i tried a rational defence it almost worked other than the race numbers which convinced my colleagues these were not wheel born ramblers out to enjoy the use of old roads but simply out to rip it to threads."

It is very important to remove racing numbers after your last event, that goes for the blingheads who display numbers, yet have never competed. Why do they do that?:nenau

I have other 'inside information' of the possible temporary TRO-ing of trails (UCRs) near Llangollen, popular with many folk on this site. We will need your help in fighting the TROs when details can/are released.

Timpo.

I seem to recall something about race number being illegal on road bikes? When I used to take my Landy to various places and events, I saw a number of vehicles who were fully stickered up with sponsors and the like, they also had huge door panel sized numbers with a black cross of insulating tape over the number, apparently it kept them street legal and there insurance valid :nenau

I almost convinced my Dad to coach paint my 4x4 group logo across the rear of the landy... he said he'd only do it if I kept it clean and tidy... on a heavily worked offroad competition truck... yeah, like that was going to happen! I ruined a glass like finish on the first weekend out! Since then he did repaint it a couple of times, but it'd normally only take him a day or so :augie

We will need your help in fighting the TROs when details can/are released.
Considering that motorcycling, and GSing in particular is not "cheap", I'm still surprised by the number of people who trail ride, but are not members of the TRF.

I agree with the no numbers (I would say most people with numbers on have not been near an event :mad: )

In my Opinion big groups don't help ( more intimidating to other country side users ) I think I'm right that the TRF recommened max 6 riders . I try to limit it to a max 8 riders but this is not always possible

I would help the fight to keep lanes open give me a shout or I will keep eye out in this section :thumb2

The future of the North Wales trails is now.
These 'hero' riders displaying race numbers are not helping.
I have ranted here before about race carrying trail bikes. I was not joking then, and now tells why!

Not sure if race numbers many be a small thing which other country side users miss when they see 15 enduro bikes out with riders kitted out in the lastest enduro kit :nenau

I seem to have better luck with other country side users when on lanes with the bmw :clap

Maybe someone should design some stickers that defuse peoples concers.

How about a big green smley face with some words like 'respecting everyones rights'

Or a big thumbs up and the words riding with respect

Where are the clever designers when you need them?

Maybe someone should design some stickers that defuse peoples concers. ..... Or a big thumbs up and the words "riding with respect"
Good idea. :thumb2

I must admit that I hadn't taken my competition numbers off after last years Red Kite - partly because I couldn't be bothered, partly because I saw no harm in them, partly because I forgot, and partly because its difficult when you have one arm in plaster. :eek:

I will take them off today.

I always thought race numbers on the road were illegal.
But to my mind the big, big problem with trail bikes is noise.
If the bikes were silent, or close to, problems would go down enormously.
IMO of course.

When I got home after the last event I did, I took the race numbers off within seconds.

We have to accept that we never know what the reaction of other users on the trail is going to be - I personally find most walkers are friendly and horse riders are generally alright if they're not riding something too highly strung, but I put this down to trying to blend in. When I ride with a group I make sure all bikes I'm with are reasonably quiet and that there are never more than 6 in the group.

Trail bikes are, by nature, only just legal on the road. A lot of us don't have horns, mirrors or indicators fitted except for the MOT, number plates and tyres are sometimes of questionable legality and, dare I say it, some riders don't have tax or insurance so doing anything to attract attention is just plain foolish.

If I had my way all trail bikes would be painted dark green and all riders would only be allowed dark clothing with no bright graphics. Having said that, it would be easier to make a rule which says the first lane of the day must be extremely muddy and virtually impassable.

I've also noticed that walkers and horse riders become much rarer the further from civilisation you are, and that these also tend to be much more accepting of trail riders, even sometimes perhaps a little envious. Trying to convert or reason with an irate horse rider/walker/farmer is usually a lost cause, but if you're riding a noisey bike with race numbers, like a pillock then you've no chance.

Just my views on the matter, you don't have to agree with me:beerjug:

Certainly I agree with what I think you are trying to achieve , but to suggest that most trail bike riders don`t care for the legal niceties is a bit over the top .

I seem to recall something about race number being illegal on road bikes? When I used to take my Landy to various places and events, I saw a number of vehicles who were fully stickered up with sponsors and the like, they also had huge door panel sized numbers with a black cross of insulating tape over the number, apparently it kept them street legal and there insurance valid :nenau

I almost convinced my Dad to coach paint my 4x4 group logo across the rear of the landy... he said he'd only do it if I kept it clean and tidy... on a heavily worked offroad competition truck... yeah, like that was going to happen! I ruined a glass like finish on the first weekend out! Since then he did repaint it a couple of times, but it'd normally only take him a day or so :augie

wtf are u on about ? stick to the thread, pls

Trail bikes are, by nature, only just legal on the road. A lot of us don't have horns, mirrors or indicators fitted except for the MOT, number plates and tyres are sometimes of questionable legality and, dare I say it, some riders don't have tax or insurance so doing anything to attract attention is just plain foolish.

A few good points in your post apart from the above.
Trail bikes are either legal or illegal, no only just. And usually trail bikes are totally legal from the factory, but enduro bikes require road legalising mods.
Audiable warning device, ie, a horn is compulsory.
Number plates, well.......:augie, I'm with you on this one....
If you know of riding with uninsured riders and/or tax, then I'd be telling them that they are not welcome on rides I lead. What would happen if they knock a child over or knock you off on a road section (tarred or not), which has happened to me and others on here?

Timpo.

A few good points in your post apart from the above.
Trail bikes are either legal or illegal, no only just. And usually trail bikes are totally legal from the factory, but enduro bikes require road legalising mods.
Audiable warning device, ie, a horn is compulsory.
Number plates, well.......:augie, I'm with you on this one....
If you know of riding with uninsured riders and/or tax, then I'd be telling them that they are not welcome on rides I lead. What would happen if they knock a child over or knock you off on a road section (tarred or not), which has happened to me and others on here?

Timpo.

Fair comment, Timpo. I'm not sure what the MOT situation is re. indicators and mirrors but I always used to refit them for the MOT and take them off again afterwards. My point, however, was about attracting attention to yourself or yourselves (as was your original post). We are all tarred with the same brush whether we're a group of responsible trail riders or a bunch of lads on motocrossers, the already predujiced 'other user' doesn't know the difference. If you drive quietly by on your sombre looking bike in clothing that doesn't look like racing kit then eventually he/she could be swayed by argument into believing that not all motorcyclists are bad even if our bikes wouldn't stand up to close inspection from the Plod.

I rarely ride in a group but would certainly try to avoid riding with anyone who's bike is not insured or taxed. Racing nos. must be a recent fashion as I've not come across anyone with them.

Considering that motorcycling, and GSing in particular is not "cheap", I'm still surprised by the number of people who trail ride, but are not members of the TRF.

Sorry, I'm don't understand that, I trail ride my GS and I'm not a member... what are the benefits? Are you saying it will reduce the cost of my biking?

Paul G

Maybe someone should design some stickers that defuse peoples concers.

How about a big green smley face with some words like 'respecting everyones rights'

Or a big thumbs up and the words riding with respect

Where are the clever designers when you need them?

OR........

A big neon sign on your back saying Ramblers are a bunch of C*nts!!:spitfire

Although very saleable, please do not invest your hard earned in a production unit........:D

I like it Ming, I like it.....:thumb2

Timpo.

what are the benefits? Are you saying it will reduce the cost of my biking?
It will probably increase it. I meant that most of us probably won't miss the yearly fee, but joining the TRF may help keep trails to ride in the future.

OR........

My Girlfriend as been very Ill ,and to get her self back to fitness we have both started walking on a weekend ;)

But I had to write these word's on the back of my ruck sack.

....I'm Not A Rambler.....I'm a Biker out walking..

Fek the lot of them,we have bent over backward's for the Ramblers up here in the Yorkshire Dale's and we have still lost almost all our lane's.

So If I pass a Rambler with a broken leg on the top of the dale's the tw-t can crawl for help :monkeypiz

Sign here to have your say

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Suspend-NERC/#detail

I always thought race numbers on the road were illegal.

I don't think that racing numbers are illegal per se but the MSA (which governs 4-wheeled motorsport) rightly say that it is against their rules. I assume that the ACU and other event-governing bodies have similar rules.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom