Peak District Byway claims: Hope Cross.

Timpo

North Wales TRF
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There are some trails that have Byway claims in on.
The routes are in the Hope/Edale/Ladybower area.
User evidence is required to substantiate the claim.
The routes are shown on the links below.
There are also claims in for routes at Haggside (including a lane known as Shithill), I will post the deatil when available.
The cut-off date for User Evidence is 11th April, 2008.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

I have a Derbyshire User Evidence form that I can email to anybody wishing to assist in this issue.
I'll try to get UKGSER Admin to link it on here.
Please fill in as much detail as possible, every little bit helps.:thumb2

Best regards.

Timpo.
North Wales TRF.

Hope Cross

E Mail sent to you via PM

I know that route well. Just tell us what we need to do.

User Evidence form attached, hopefully....

User Evidence form attached, hopefully....:augie

Timpo.

Attachments

• DCC User Evidence form.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 83
I would throw one in, just to support the keeping of BOATs.

But not knowing the route, I don't have any 'evidence'. (Or a pink copy of the map as described).

So...could you repost the form with some 'sample' answers? :augie

I haven't used that route for over twenty years. Thought it was illegal :blast

I was walking the dog around my local footpaths and bridleways over the weekend. Lots of evidence of motorcycles using them. They're clearly marked but riders are still using them to link up legal trails. :spitfire

I haven't used that route for over twenty years. Thought it was illegal :blast

I was walking the dog around my local footpaths and bridleways over the weekend. Lots of evidence of motorcycles using them. They're clearly marked but riders are still using them to link up legal trails. :spitfire

I agree with the sentiment here fella, but as they close more and more of the legal lanes, this will be the norm.

see this attachment for the OS map

Attachments

• OS map of Hope Bridleway 32 &  5.jpg
    OS map of Hope Bridleway 32 & 5.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 305
I agree with the sentiment here fella, but as they close more and more of the legal lanes, this will be the norm.

So anyone know where there is a big piece of land for sale. Perhaps we should think about opening up a course?

I'd only consider it as an investment though, too expensive for a hobby.:thumb

So anyone know where there is a big piece of land for sale. Perhaps we should think about opening up a course?

Only problem with that is the same Anti's, Rambliars and NIMBYS who don't want you to ride trails, will also object to your planning permission, so you won't be able to open a course anyway.

As I remember it, a long straight section of lane. No ruts, but open going. Used by heavy tractors and farm machinery occasionally, defo remember following a huge 4x4 John Deere and Slurry Tanker up it one day. Passing places are few and far between. But the lane is plenty wide enough to cater for this size of machine/plant.
At the Hope Cross junction, there are stone walls and a grassy area with large puddles. A couple of gates and the route is at it's widest here.
Some of the route had sand sections and an effect in the bedrock similar to that of a cobble paving. The North Western end is stoney runnning along a valley side.
If anybody is able to jog my memory and add to this, please feel free. But as Spout says, it's a long time back....
I rode here during the 1990s and with the Cheshire TRF group. This lane linked the Chapelgate/Edale leg to the Haggside/Hagg Farm leg (this too has a Byway claim on it). All were RUPPs then, down graded to Bridalway, as shown on today's OS sheets.
If this has helped to remind you of the route, please put your memories (in your own words) on to the Claim form and send it in.

Timpo.

Only problem with that is the same Anti's, Rambliars and NIMBYS who don't want you to ride trails, will also object to your planning permission, so you won't be able to open a course anyway.

Yip, that would be the difficult part but as a solution to what 'they' see as a problem it could help if the right land was found.

Timpo

I have ridden those lanes for years no problem at all... but we tend to stay away from Blackley clough not 100% sure its legal ...:nenau

Most riders turn right on the top down through the woods on to snake pass :thumb2

Happy to help with evidence ...get the link set up and i'll forward it to my trail riding buddies as well ...

Most riders turn right on the top down through the woods on to snake pass

So, down the harpins and over the wooden bridge and up through the gate on to the A57?
Do you then cross over to Haggside, as there is a Byway claim on that also.

Happy to help with evidence ...get the link set up and i'll forward it to my trail riding buddies as well ...

I have linked the User Evidence form earlier in the thread, is it not opening?:confused:

Timpo.

So, down the harpins and over the wooden bridge and up through the gate on to the A57?
Do you then cross over to Haggside, as there is a Byway claim on that also.

I have linked the User Evidence form earlier in the thread, is it not opening?:confused:

Timpo.

Thats it sometimes we would do Haggside then Hopecross ...Two fantastic lanes would be a shame to lose them :(

Sorry i missed the link you posted earlier in the thread found it now thanks :thumb2

I'll forward it on to the guys :clap

Thanks

I haven't used that route for over twenty years.

I'm a lying bast*d. Been up there a few weeks ago. Terry took myself and the some of the NW lads up to the cross. Timpos description reminded me!
If I remember correctly Terry had a word with a Park Ranger whilst we were up there. The Ranger was suprised we were there, but admitted it was perfectly legal.

Attachments

• 2008-02-2312-04-40_0038_resize.jpg
    2008-02-2312-04-40_0038_resize.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 185
Stunning views on the way up
(both photos taken on the lower section - less than half way up)

Attachments

• 2008-02-2312-06-04_0042_resize.jpg
    2008-02-2312-06-04_0042_resize.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 182

Back
Top Bottom