Tom Tom V2 Problem?

ed4554

Reaction score
Ok got the new V2 in January used it in the tin box no trouble. Used it on the bike for short runs only no problem.
However had a run down to Stonehenge then across to Henlow (visit the son) then back upto Staffs. the unit not being charged while on the bike? Tested the cable on the bike and fuse no problem there. Checked the holder on the bike no voltage getting to the unit? Tom Tom contacted and sending it back for repair/exchange?
Anyone else had this problem?

Done a few thousand miles with my V2 and not had a problem yet

I had the same issue. Give the unit a firmer push onto the bike mount. it worked for me and I've not had a problem since :thumb2

Thanks for the replies. The holder or head was also tested for continuity and that also failed.
Tom Tom true to their word sent out a next day delivery bag & box for the return of the unit. So its off to them now.
A little miffed about the failure but up to now after sales service ok. Will update as and when.

Another tip for your tomtom................

when fitting it to the holder, hold back the mount when sliding it on as this will stop the connection pins wearing out (common problem) If you just slide your tomtom on you will eventually wear the pins down, then let go of the rear of the mount to make the connection :thumb

Biker

Well quick turn round from Tom Tom. Howerver as I thought they would say No Fault Found.

The unit has been reset so had to reinstall as first start up. Waiting now for the battery to run down to see if it takes power from the bike when I couple everything up?

Well left fro the battery to run flat fitted it back on the bike and it now works?? Suspect they have done somehting :nenau will just have to have another long ride out to test it fully. Lifes a bitch. :aidan

One piece of advice that might help. If you tap on the Icon in the bottom right corner of teh screen (indicating how many satellites it can see) you get to a screen to show if the battery is charging or not. You don't have to wait for the battery to run down, just tap the icon and the word "charging" will appear underneath the battery status icon.

I’ve had the same problem with my v2.
I bought it from Halfords a couple of weeks ago and I only got round to fitting it on the bike a few days ago.

The unit was not getting power from the cradle. I tested the cradle for continuity…nothing.

So I took it back to Halfords, who were very helpful. They swapped my cradle with there display unit and now it works just fine.

Must be dodgy batch of cradles our there.

I tested the cradle for continuity…nothing.

A word of caution; the cradle contains a solid-state step-down transformer which takes the input 12V down to 5V, making available 2A. Depending on your testing methods you may not get a sign of true continuity, a better test would be to see if you have the 5V coming off the right pins.

Sadly I don't know which these are, and so I'm waiting to hear back from Tomtom since my Rider 2 failed on a recent trip to France. Same problem as you, but with around 5000 miles on the unit before failure.

Mup.

Back
Top Bottom