keyboard misshap

~Stef~

Reaction score
Having an 11 year old with a habit of drinking and eating at the computer, anyone know what i can "safely" use to clean my sticky keys with ?

~Stef~

Buy a new keyboard.. They cost less than a fiver nowadays (5 Euros over here!)...
Smack him about the back of the head with the old one..

Problem solved..

Alternatively...

...just keep using Coke like you have been. :D

You can unscrew the keyboard, gently pop the keys out and wash all the non-electrical parts with warm water (this is what I used to do when I was a poor student), but as Padge rightly says, they only cost about a fiver, and you can buy covers for them to stop more dirt getting all over them, so I would do that.

Remember when you're buying a cheap keyboard to check that the keyboard arrangement is for UK so, as some of the really cheap ones might not be, if it's got a pound (☼) sign, it's probably alright.

Don't know if that pound will come out as it doesn't feature on this Dutch version

Hope this helps

David

Mike O said:
What about cleaning a Laptop keyboard then?

Take the battery out of the laptop then put the system into a washing machine on a synthetic programme. Remember - and this is most important - to choose a slow spin cycle.

Either that or get some alchohol based wet-wipes and vigourously clean the keyboard while the system is turned off. Then take some more alchohol wipes and stuff one up each nostril. Classic stuff.

Mike

slow spin cycle

mikebelch said:
Take the batter out of the laptop then put the system into a washing machine on a synthetic programme. Remember - and this is most important - to choose a slow spin cycle.Mike

I sincerely hope no one at work sees this they will bloody do it.

G....LOL

mikebelch said:
Take the battery out of the laptop then put the system into a washing machine on a synthetic programme. Remember - and this is most important - to choose a slow spin cycle.

Sometimes I dont think you guys take this seriously :rolllaugh
~Stef~

mikebelch said:

Either that or get some alchohol based wet-wipes and vigourously clean the keyboard while the system is turned off. Then take some more alchohol wipes and stuff one up each nostril. Classic stuff.

Mike

Thang you for your abvice. I'b finding ib dibbicult to breed troo by dose now dough......

Bike:(

1. Tape laptop to roof of car, (gaffer tape is good for this)

2. Drive through car wash, (dont be a tight git, get the soap token)

3. Drive round for several miles to dry off,

4. As a alternative if p*ssing down get a dryier token for carwash.

5. Order new laptop from Dell/Toshiba whoever.

Works for me ............

:D :D :D :D

a mate of mine puts his in the dishwasher. seriously. he reckons as long as you let it dry out properly it should be fine - and smells alpine fresh too!

pr0ne

NB i haven't tried it with mine, and take no responsibility blah blah ;-)

Originally posted by pr0ne
a mate of mine puts his in the dishwasher

...and the punchline... "But how does he clean his keyboard?" :D

I just use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust and crap out from below / between the keys and then wipe over with alcohol wipes. If you don't have PC cleaning wipes glasses cleaner works just as well and I use it on the monitor screen as well.

Adam

I prised all the keys off my works laptop then cleaned them with isopropal alchohol.
A lovely job was done............................ until

I tried to put them on again

after QWERTY, I was stuck. I hadnt a fkin clue where they were meant to go

take the thing apart, prise off the key caps, clean caps & cover with fairy liquid in the sink, air dry, reassemble. leave electronic bits well alone.

(spoken as as an anal anorak who only really likes vintage IBM buckling spring keyboards like this (none of that noncy membrane shite) that ALL need cleaning.

no. 1 tip: take a photo of the layout ;)

ps. anyone got any old IBM keyboards 'cos i need another one.

Back
Top Bottom