Route to Freiburg

iaing

Reaction score
I'll be visiting the Auto Museum at Sinsheim and then heading down to Freiburg via Freudenstadt.

Any road recommendations? I know the B500 is the obvious choice but I've done that and there must be plenty of great alternatives.

Thanks

Iain

Hi

It depends where you are coming from but the further north - just to the east of Kaiserlauten - is the stretch of the B48 from Hochspeyer to Annweiler which is simply 20 miles of awesome road. The best stretch of road in Europe?

I agree with getting the Michelin maps and looking for the 'green' roads but try to get those roads with fewer towns and villages on them. For example the B500 from Baden Baden to Freudenstadt is excellent because there are no towns or villages on the road and you can really ride.

I'll be visiting the Auto Museum at Sinsheim and then heading down to Freiburg via Freudenstadt.

Any road recommendations? I know the B500 is the obvious choice but I've done that and there must be plenty of great alternatives.

Thanks

Iain

I normally set off down to the Schwarzwald from the Eifel's. If you can pick this route up you're in for some of the best biking roads in Europe...

Follow the Mosel south from the Cochem area to Alf turn left on the
421 to Kirchberg Kellenbach

turn right on the 41 towards Idar Obstein, but then left on the 270
to Kaiserslautern, pick up the 48 south for Annweiler then the 48 still for Bad Bergzabern (as per Happy Grandad) and to Wissemnbourg. The 48 is a cracking road and takes you through the Nature Park Pfalzer Wald but try not to do it on a Sunday... too many motorbikes, ambulances and police :eek:

Head south towards Hagenau but turn left on the D34 for Niederroedern cutting across a corner of France.... and see the Black Forest plateau rising in the distance... beatiful.

Baden Baden and then the 500 Schwarzwal Hochstraße south to Freudenstadt.

From here take the road that goes through Dollenbach, Schapbach to Wolfach. The 33 to Hornberg and Triberg then on to Freiburg.

Plenty of good hotels and eating houses along the way... enjoy.

Any errors or ommisions on my part and you're up the creek :thumb

:beerjug:

Hi Micky,

Thanks for the detailed reccommendation, ive marked up my Germany map and am ready to go. I was basically looking for a scenic route from Leige down to Freiburg and it looks like ive found it!

Thanks
Gazzr

Hi Micky,

Thanks for the detailed reccommendation, ive marked up my Germany map and am ready to go. I was basically looking for a scenic route from Leige down to Freiburg and it looks like ive found it!

Thanks
Gazzr

Leige..as in Belgium? Not sure whether to stay there or Namur? What do you think???:nenau

Liege or Namur not much to chose between them really.

I'd go for...

La Roche-en-Ardenne very scenic, plenty of hotels
Bastogne close to the border with Luxembourg... WWII museum etc.

Happy hunting

:beerjug:

Hi Micky,

Thanks
Gazzr

Can you let me know your route? I'm off in a few days - many thanks:beerjug:

If you're in the Freiburg area, Schauinsland is another must, but note that it's closed to bikes on Weekends and holidays.

Take care with your speed on the B500 Schwarzwaldhochstrasse. I got nicked the weekend before last - €75 plus one point. The policeman told me that they had 5 separate speed traps between Baden-Baden and Freudenstadt that day.

If you're in the Freiburg area, Schauinsland is another must, but note that it's closed to bikes on Weekends and holidays.

Take care with your speed on the B500 Schwarzwaldhochstrasse. I got nicked the weekend before last - €75 plus one point. The policeman told me that they had 5 separate speed traps between Baden-Baden and Freudenstadt that day.

Hi Dave,

What did you get clocked at?

There's about 8 of us coming over in September and in all likelihood, we'll be heading down to Freudenstadt for the day. I'll keep that in mind :beerjug:

Hi Ronno,

96km/h in a 60 zone. As you may know, there is a "tolerance" allowance in Germany, so it was reduced to 91km/h for the paperwork.

It was a bl00dy stupid situation. I'm always really careful on that road due to the high police presence, but some git overtook me on a GSA whilst I was more or less keeping to the speed limit by Schloss Bühlerhöhe. The red mist came down - I thought, "I'll show him how to ride this road", so I hauled him in, overtook him, only to be met by a "Stop Police" sign on the next corner.:augie

Back
Top Bottom