Off the Ferry at 23.OO hours - What to do?

happy grandad

I am sailing into Bergen from Newcastle and notice that the ferry is due to dock at 23:00 hours. I am doing this on June 11th. I presume others have come into Bergen at this time.

My question is twofold:

a) How long does it take to disembark?

b) What do you do when you come off the boat at that time?

I intend heading up to NordKapp and do it by camping. I would be looking to do most of my camping in the 'wild' rather than in campsites? So I come off the ferry at midnight?
Do I stay in Bergen looking for some form of nightlife?
Do I look for a campsite in the early hours of the morning?
Do I find somewhere 'wild' or by the roadside to put up my tent for the rest of the 'night'?
Do I head out northwards and stop later on in the day to rest up?

TIA

Bergen is a really pleasant small town with plenty of good food and pubs right on the quayside. Pre-book a B&B, get some grub and spend an hour or two in the morn before heading off. Well worth it:thumb

I know - that is why I am contemplating just heading northwards straightaway. Get some sleep on the ferry and then just ride throughout the 'night'.

Bergen is a really pleasant small town with plenty of good food and pubs right on the quayside. Pre-book a B&B, get some grub and spend an hour or two in the morn before heading off. Well worth it:thumb

That is an option but disembarking late and getting into a B&B at that time could be problematic - or a waste of money. I don't want to spend money for a couple of hours sleep when there might be other options.

I intend spending my time looking around Bergen on the way back rather than at the start of the holiday

Get cleaned up on the ferry, stock up with water, and something to eat in the morning and head out into the countryside - should only take you half an hour to clear all the settlements on the outskirts :thumb

Al :D

Sometimes the ferry stays in port overnight and sales the following day. You used to be able to stay on the boat before disembarking and sleep in your cabin (even getting a shore pass). Check with the ferry company.

Failing that I would pre book a Pension and hit the town but buy plenty of duty free:augie

AndyT:thumb2

23.00?

That is if you are lucky,this ferry is always late,I have been waiting for buddys from Uk until 01.30 many times.
The ferry they used last year is the sister ship of "Estonia" which sank in the baltic.
Last year my friend complained about the trip as the ship slowes down on speed to a crawling when they enconter the slightest bit of bad weather.
While waiting I spoke to the customs people and they said that since this bathtub(thats what it looks like in my opinion) started to sail this rout it has always been delayed.Hope they have improved this year.

When you get off the boat, which they do fast,go to Voss, 120km and 35 tunnels ,get a cottage(hytte) at Tvinde camping.
You can book in advance and they will give you a cottace number and leave the key in the door for you,if you dont want the hytte just put up your tent.
To get to Tvinde camping you have to drive trough Voss,only a few km.
If it is not raining,buy something to eat\drink and just keep going straight off the boat,this time of the year (june) it dosent get very dark in the night,only a few hr of the night,daylight from around 0300-0400 in the morning.

http://www.tvinde.no/
cheers
Fishburger

When we went a couple of years ago I'm sure that you can stay on board 'till the morning, assuming it's hanging around for a bit. Worth checking anyway.
We had planned to wildcamp a bit but in the end didn't bother. Clean reasonably priced campsites and trying to find somewhere level and not covered in rocks when you want can be a challenge!!
Lots of Norway suggestions on the site but it won't matter where you go. It's all fantastic, Have a good trip:thumb2

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

I will call the ferry company and see if I can stay on the ship until at least 03.00. If not I will wait in Bergen until it is light and then travel onto Voss and beyond.

do what i am doing a few weeks later, get off at stavanger in the morning sometime around 0800hrs and you have got all day to ride up beyond bergen, find a nice site for the first night.

im off 26th June for 24 days wild camping most off the way through Sweden offroad on the way back so should be interesting

enjoy

Yes,thats the way to go,from Stavnger to Bergen 170km driving and 2 ferries
one half hr and the other one hr duration.
I used to work in stavanger and rode my 650 gs home in the weekend total travel time 5 hr if you hit the ferries.
Have a nice trip
fishburger

It seems an excellent idea to get off at Stavanger - never thought of it. I think that is what I will do - however according the ferry timetable it docks at 13.00 and not 8.00.

Has Bergen got a red light district? Although at my age it is rather irrelevant but it might be of interest to some of the younger members

More like twilight zone for you retired folks with far too much time to potter about

:marc

well checked my ticket sheet again, and it gets in at 1030am so plenty of time for riding

plus it leaves at 1700hrs on day of departure and not like 0900hrs from Bergen so you have all day to get back to Stavanger

works out at virtually a day extra in country

thats what i will be doing

chris

Phoned DFDS and they confirmed that I could not stay on board at Bergen and that I would have to disembark at the designated time (23:00). So that option was out.

Asked the nice lady if she knew anything about Bergen's Red Light District and if it catered for the old folk who come in off the ferry at midnight. She said that she did not know anything about the district or, if it existed, if it catered for the old folk.

I then asked her if I could disembark at Stavanger and the nice lady said that I would have to change my ticket and give them warning which I thought was fair enough. However it was only when she quoted me the price that I thought it was not fair - £83 for changing Bergen to Stavanger for both the outward and inward journey. After much thought (10 seconds) I decided that even though it was going to cost me, it was better and cheaper in the long run to go for this option.

Should have done this in the first place ..............:blast

Hi
I dont think you will regret it,it is actualy a very nice trip from Stavanger to Bergen,follow the E39 along the coast.
One more thing dont stop at the tollboots for the tunnels or bridge,bikes dont pay.Pass the tollboots at Autopass.
Ferries you have to pay,there are two ferries on the road to Bergen.

Have a nice trip
Fishburger

Back
Top Bottom