Trouble opening new windows

Dave Hall

Reaction score
Hi folks

I`m at my wits end (said the king as he broddled his jester)

I can open my web browser no problem (IE6 on XP) but if I click on a link that opens another window then it all gets silly.
The new window wont open properly. It shows that its trying to open on the bottom bar but never gets far enough to link to the destination url.

Help

Dave Hall said:
Hi folks

if I click on a link that opens another window then it all gets silly.
The new window wont open properly. Help

Dave,
Try a little WD 40 on the lock. Or sometimes I just give it a small push in the middle of the frame ! I hope this helps.... and that some other smart arse hijacks your post. :D :D :D

PS. Tony Toner is up and about feeling sorry for himself.

Dave Hall said:
Hi folks

I can open my web browser no problem (IE6 on XP) but if I click on a link that opens another window then it all gets silly.
The new window wont open properly. It shows that its trying to open on the bottom bar but never gets far enough to link to the destination url.

Help

Sounds like you have something stopping popups and it thinks the new window is a popup..... just an idea

Paul Is right, I have AOL 8 and the popup stopper blocks the Private message new window.

The odd thing is I`ve had a pop up stopper installed for a month or so without problems and as soon as this happened I deleted it...to no avail............window..thats what I`m going to chuck this spunkin computer through soon

If it is a Pop-Up stopper, try holding down the shift key when you click to open the window, that might indicate to it that you want the new window to open.

Iain

Dave...try this from the MS knowledge base...
LINK

The relevant bits........:

SYMPTOMS
When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
Nothing happens.
The new window may be blank.
You may receive a scripting error message.
When you use the Print command or the Print Preview command in Internet Explorer, nothing may happen.

When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message:

The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred.
CAUSE
This behavior may occur for any of the following reasons:
The (Default) value setting in one or more of the following registry keys points to an incorrect location for the Urlmon.dll file:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9e0-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f1-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

This may occur if you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0.
The following registry key is missing or damaged:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

One or more of the following files is missing, damaged, or improperly registered:
Url.dll
Mshtml.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shell32.dll
Shdocvw.dll
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

This page has lots of links that might be relevant.....

ANOTHER LINK

Good luck!!

PS It's just as easy to go to the MS windows site and check you have the latest version of explorer.....installing it from there should over-write the corupted/missing dlls and may well restore your wits to the end they're supoosed to be at :)

Brilliant although confusing.

I did the run sys-whatsit and then then tried to open a new window...no joy

Went and had a cup of coffee, came back and bugger me its working again.

Thanks muchly folks.

Back
Top Bottom