Another DRZ owner

Phil Clarke

Reaction score
On friday I became the proud owner of a 03 DRZ400S. Finally I have a modern trail bike so I'm going to be heading south for the odd dirty weekend all being well, as well as straying onto the occaisional pit bing. Unfortunately my useless insurance company couldn't organise cover until tomorrow so the only time I've ridden it was on the test ride. So I've been spending the weekend undoing various bolts, greasing them and putting them back in again as well as removing the lower suspension linkages and putting the originals on, removing the clutch and side stand cut out switch and sitting on it making vroom vroom noises. 13t front sprok and bash plate in the post!

All in all it appears to be a pretty nice bike - top quality suspension as noted elsewhere on this site, I really like the concept of a top quality chassis witha a nice soft motor for easy greenlaning. Usual suzuki snot welding and wafer thin paint but all in all a pretty decent package. Looks like its seen some action judging by the sand under the seat but not much in the way of off road abuse and evidence of good maintenance so hopefully its the start of happy relationship. Only problem is my girlfirend likes it too so it may get nicked when she passes her test!

Going to be heading south for the odd dirty weekend all being well.

OK, your welcome to join one of my ride-outs, and seems your coming so far I'll do a full weekend's worth of lanes for you......... No charge either.:thumb

Timpo.

Thanks Timpo your a star - can't wait to see Wales and do some of the top trails you lot are always posting pics of! I'll keep an eye out for your run dates and hopefully meet up at some point.

On another note what gearing are you all using. Mine appears to have had a 14t sprok put on the front with the 44 rear. I've got a 13t front coming which will put the gearing to just below the E 14/47 but I still think that may be a bit on the tall side for the nadgery stuff (I'm used to trials bikes with silly low gearing....)
Tah

I'll keep an eye out for your run dates and hopefully meet up at some point.

My next rides will be Fri/Sat 16/17th May. Got the advrider weekender and a Portugal ride between now and then so I'm a bit busy.....

What gearing are you all using? Mine appears to have had a 14t sprok put on the front with the 44 rear. I've got a 13t front coming which will put the gearing to just below the E 14/47 but I still think that may be a bit on the tall side for the nadgery stuff

I got 14/47 on mine and I think it's fine, though a little lower wouldn't do any harm.

T.

Congrats :beerjug:

I've had mine for a while but for various reasons only got to use it in anger for the first time this weekend - I think I'm in love, they are great bikes aren't they :thumb2

I'm also running 14/47 (it's an E) and found it pretty good - no plans to change it just yet.

I would however like to lower mine a bit - I don't suppose you fancy selling on the lower suspension links as I would defo. be interested?

Andres

Timpo
16th/17th is in my diary put me down as a possible - I'll have to speak to my better half tho to confirm....

Andres
I'm gonna hang on to the lowering links as it will make the bike usable for my girlfriend when she passes her test. There are a set on ebay just now I think...

Timpo
16th/17th is in my diary put me down as a possible - I'll have to speak to my better half tho

OK, just to confirm, that is Friday 16th and Saturday 17th of May.
If you need help with accommodation I can recommend a small pub doing B&B or a campsite at a pub. Both are local to where the trail rides are.

Timpo.

Hi Phil,
Congrats, I got one a christmas and have been experimenting with it since, I love it. If you ever make it as far South as Salisbury Plain then your welcome to stay here for somegreat lanes if you bring me a MacSweens haggis and some MacEwans 80/-

Cheers,
Jon

My next rides will be Fri/Sat 16/17th May. Got the advrider weekender and a Portugal ride between now and then so I'm a bit busy.....

I got 14/47 on mine and I think it's fine, though a little lower wouldn't do any harm.

T.

Aren't you going to Baskerville that weekend Timpo ?

Aren't you going to Baskerville that weekend Timpo ?

Like feck I am!
Once bitten.....
Did a ride for UKGSER at Llangollen and got a flaming from some Southern slack-jawed faggot who has watched to many LWR videos.:tosser
Never again.....
And I don't know a easy lanes in them parts, only real ones....:D

Timpo.

Like feck I am!
Once bitten.....
Did a ride for UKGSER at Llangollen and got a flaming from some Southern slack-jawed faggot who has watched to many LWR videos.:tosser
Never again.....
And I don't know a easy lanes in them parts, only real ones....:D

Timpo.

Fek i was thinking about coming down, there's already 2 bank holidays I need to sort out aswell exspensive month again :rolleyes:

Fek i was thinking about coming down, there's already 2 bank holidays I need to sort out aswell exspensive month again :rolleyes:

Coming down when for the Baskerville do?
Well bend on to this ride with Phil. We could all camp somewhere and do a lane or two......
Maybe you could share tramsport with Phil, he is comin from Fife.

Timpo.

Only had my DRZ about 6months but loving it phil. Mines an 03 with a 14/47 set up.

Your mare than welcome to crash at mine if your down. I am in the midlands but only an hour awya from all the fun in Wales.

Andyc:beerjug:

Blimey guys mucho generosity! My girlfriends folks live near Readng so defo up for some Salsbury plain fun at some point.

If you ever make it as far South as Salisbury Plain then your welcome to stay here for somegreat lanes if you bring me a MacSweens haggis and some MacEwans 80/-

MacEwans 80/-?! wash your mouth out with Orkney skull splitter I can do better than that!

16th / 17th is now in the diary my girlfriend just rolled her eyes and muttered something about boys and toys! I'm changing jobs at the end of may so I've a few days leave to take and I guess Friday / Saturday will be quieter than Sunday. I'm waiting on various bits and bobs to arrive to make the machine a bit more off road worthy so should be well sorted by then. Forry if your going down too I may have converted my trailer to 2 bikes by then. would be up for camping or pub digs. Long as theres a decent pint....

MacEwans 80/-?! wash your mouth out with Orkney skull splitter I can do better than that!

Ah, Skull Splitter, I remember my first encounter with that, they used to keep it in the Guildford Arms in Edinburgh about ten years ago. Don't remember ever seeing it in Stromness though.

For me MacEwans 80/- and Mrs Uni's Pakora will always be the taste of home though. :)

Back
Top Bottom