► Paint, panels and graphics, also paint problems

chrisjk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After cleaning my bike, I noticed what I thought were a few small grey mud splashes I had missed on the black plastic at the front of the beak. They didn't want to wipe off so I scraped one with my fingernail. Oh ho - not a mud splash at all but an area of a very thin greyish, translucent plastic film that had de-laminated from the plastic beneath.

I guess it's some sort of lacquer that may well cover the whole bike for all I know. Certainly I would expect any black plastic like the front of the beak and this includes the front mudguard, fork protectors etc. to be similarly coated.

I have no idea what it does or if it's important but I suspect one should leave it alone rather than start peeling it off.

A separate observation is that the black plastic on the sides of the back (aft of the radiator) is painted black over what appears to be a yellow undercoat (I have a bumblebee). A couple of scratches I hadn't noticed earlier have revealed this.

Got a few marks on my beak, and no sign of any kind of laquer. I reckon it's probably some kind of silicone spray/polish that you have there Chris.

FWIW, there is only one side panel, with the air intake rivited onto it. That's why there's yellow under the black :thumb

Wizard,

You might be right but it looks awfully like a factory applied coating. I'll see how it develops.

Si,

No idea if this is going to be a common problem - definitely a warranty job anyhoo.

Poor fit on side panel

Anybody else got a right hand side panel that is not flush with the frame or is my bike 'unique'? Not the end of the world but its been bugging me because it catches just behind my knee. It's fitted ok but it looks like the pins it hooks onto are pointing out compared with those on the left hand side.

image0001.jpg

Ian,
I checked my bike this afternoon and both of those panels look to be the same. They are just slightly proud of the frame members but not to the extent that your photo suggests.

Thanks Chris, I can't see there is much that can be done about it - just have to tell myself that my bike is 'special' :D but I'll mention it next time its back at the dealers see what they say. Shouldn't be long as I'm waiting on a new sidestand switch - I liked they way the system knew exactly how many times the engine had cut out due to a 'sidestand event'. Wonder what else it keeps count of!

Right hand side panel slightly proud on my 650GS cf LHS. Same on a new 800GS I looked at in the showroom. No doubt 'they're all like that'.

me too with the paint problem

I have just reported the same issue to BMW here in Australia. It appears to be the clear coating which has come off. Poor prep. would appear to be the issue.
I'll see what they say

My R1200ST was en ex-demo BMW dealer bike and came pre-fitted with one of these protective plastic film body kits. If applied correctly the film is visually unobtrusive and seems to do a good job in protecting the bike from minor scratches and chips. Well worth fitting to areas such as the tank or side panels next to the seat where tankbags or boots can scratch the bike. After 30k miles there are a couple of dings in the plastic film where road debris has hit the front of the bike however the plastic has done its job and the bike itself is unmarked.

The only downside is that the pre-cut film itself is quite expensive at about £100 for a full set. If it had not been fitted to the bike when I bought it then, in all honesty, I would probably not have spent the money myself. Guess it all depends how much you value your bike. Having now seen how unobtrusive & effective the film is in use, it may be a consideration for my next bike; £'s permitting.

Wicker makes sense, but why not make your own? If you call at most commercial printers, they will be able to sell you a strip of heavy duty sticky backed clear plastic. I know you will have to prepare the original template yourself, but a bit of trial and error with a sheet of paper first would do the trick. :thumb2

I've used it on a couple of places on my 1150 GSA eg the centre stand cross brace, lower fork legs etc.

F 800GS grahics/stickers needed

Hi All, I am a newbie to this.
I am asking dose anyone out there know where i can get replacement grapics for a yellow 800gs, i wish to change the colour of my bike to purple and would like to make it look orriginal, the big GS is not a problem, its the F800 sticker that is, the dealers say it is not listed as a spare part in the UK. Help needed??:bounce1

Paintwork protection - F800GS rear panels

As my girlfriend gets on and off the bike she tends to drag her boots across the paintwork on the rear panels. despite my plea's she is finding it hard to dismount as the bike is tall. Especially from the perspective of the pillion seat. I could replace said girlfriend :handbag or I could get some protection for the rear panels.

Now I've noted TouraTech make some protectors but at £48 I believe they are overpriced and actually wouldn't protect the area that is getting scratched on my bike.

Has anyone had experience of alternative products or perhaps home made alternatives? :augie

cheers

Jon :thumb

You can remove the 2 yellow back panels leaving the bike's back end completely black :thumb

Or you get on the bike and hold it steady, she gets by on by facing front & standing her left foot on your footrest (rather than rear one or from ground level) & then swings her leg over. She puts a hand(s) onto your shoulder(s) to steady herself. Her weight will be low down, present no problem, and she'll gain the extra height to swing her leg over without clipping anything.

Works very well with any vertcially challenged pillion.

Might need a couple of practise goes, but it's really easy - stopped mine clobbering the bike/top box.

Thats exactly how she gets on. It's the getting off that's the problem. She puts her left foot down and then drags her other leg off the seat instead of doing the getting on manoeuvre in reverse.

Maybe I need to give her some dictation on the correct procedure :mcgun

You can put some transparent adhesive film on it.

There is a company in he US that sells it pre-cut for each individual bike model.

I do not recall by memory but will search and pot later.

Regards

fran

Back
Top Bottom