Radeon 9600xt installation problems

AndyB

Reaction score
Have decided to upgrade my AGP card to a PowerColor Radeon 9600XT. I am unable to install it into my win 2000 system.
When I run the install it comes back and tells me that I need to set my adapter to VGA and then it exits. I have no drivers loaded for the video adapter and it defaults to VGA.

Any ideas?

Andy...there seem to be some fairly well known problems with the Catalyst drivers..........have you checked with the ATI site for the latest versions?

Win2000 has always been pretty crap with a lot of drivers, and it's not well supported on launch ..XP gets priority, then '98se, then finally w2000 and the rest....

Was it an on-board card you are replacing btw??

Also worth checking your bios settings....your flash new card runs AGP8x by default and some Mobo's don't support it...I don't know what happens if your AGp slot is only 4x rated but it's possible it might cause the problems you describe.

This is one of those problems that there could be lots of solutions for....unfortunately it's a matter trying them all in some sort of order...start on the ATI forums then resort to Google and look up 'Radeon 9600XT' with install problems, the name of your mobo etc........

Good luck...if you dont have any then post back your specs and we can take a look again.

I am replaceing a ge force 2 card that sits in the AGP slot. My motherboard is an intel P4 400hz board driving a 1.5Ghz cpu.

How do I tell what speed the AGP slot is?

The shop seem less than helpful, not good when you have just splashed out £150+ on a card!

It's a function of the Mobo rather than the slot itself.

The details on the board you just mentioned arer actually just the type of chipset on it.......do you know the make/model?

TBH it may not be too relevant anyway...i was looking for known problems between the grphx chipsets and the mopo but that's less likely than an installation problem

Start from scratch...make sure you have the correct latest drivers saved somewhere obvious, then go to ctrl panel, system, hardware, device manager, and uninstall the graphics card (what does it say the card is btw? doe sit match what you have?)
then reboot and see if windoze picks up the actual card

Problem solved

I went back to my supplier and got a refund. Went to PC World and got a Geforce FX 5600 with 256MB Dram - cheaper and better. It still would not install, I seemed to have some problem with the Win 2K.
Have had to completely re-install my system from scratch (including reformating the primary drive!!). Card now works properly and I've just got another 25MB to down load for service pack 4 - about 70 minutes left - only 64MB link, Broadband on order (at last).

Thanks for your ideas Fanum - appreciated the help.

maybe the old g-force drivers were not completely removed by the uninstall program?

It's the w2000......it was well known for driver/installation problems, particularly for gaming kit.....most of us serious gamers went straight from 98 se to xp and missed 2000 because it just didnt support much hardware.

If you can get xp Andy, I'd do so straight away......I don't like Microsoft but it's by far the most stable OS for mainstream out-of-the-box compatability without getting freaky and going for linux.

Win 2000 v Xp

I only went to Win 2k this year because the office went the same way. It allows me to run every thing on my work laptop on my home pc. I did / have the ability to get XP if I want it, but having just spent about 10 hours puting my machine back together I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to XP. As and when the office go that route then I will have to.
The root of the problem was most certainly the Win 2K and its inability to accept replacement drivers, every thing works fine if it is installed at the initial set up stage, after that its just luck if it works!
Now I have got service pack 4 loaded and all the latest security down loads the system has settled down. Just trying to work out how to remove vairous items from the start up menu, don't want my youngest trying to reconfigure the system.:mad:

I'm not a gamer as such, but do indulge once in a while. The higher speed graphics card has also improved my digital photography, so the upgrade was double edged.

Prince of Persia - the sands of time that started off as a £30 game has finally cost me £180 plus nearly 2 days of time to get it to run:mad: Never mind, ready for Christmas, plenty of time to play, inbetween being here of course:D

Have a great Christmas.

Re: Win 2000 v Xp

AndyB said:
Prince of Persia - the sands of time that started off as a £30 game has finally cost me £180 plus nearly 2 days of time to get it to run:mad:

oh yes, been there, done that with MOHAA. i bought a 9700 pro & now rarely use it :(

maybe when half life 2 comes out. if it ever does.

I've also got a 9700 pro & wish I'd never bothered. I got mine around a year ago and the damn thing has never run Direct X properly. The problem seems related to the VIA 4 in1 drivers that my motherboard uses, as if I use the standard XP graphics driver, my graphics don't hang ( but do run a lot slower :mad: ). I think a Nvidea NForce chipset will cure my problems, but then I think to myself if I'm going to get a new M/Board, I may as well upgrade the CPU etc etc, which puts me off doing the upgrade...

"Prince of Persia - the sands of time that started off as a £30 game has finally cost me £180 plus nearly 2 days of time to get it to run Never mind, ready for Christmas, plenty of time to play, inbetween being here of course "

Any good then? Was thinking of getting it. Used to be a huge PoP fan when it first came out.

no no, my 9700 runs great. bloody thing runs all day long with frame rates in 3 figures & above. i just lost interest in playing MOHAA.

advice i've read is, don't use the 4 in 1's unless you get a problems with native XP m/b drivers which seem ok in most instances (i installed 4 in 1's before hearing that though with no grief). also there is some issue with more recent 4 in 1's & older m/b's.

make sure you have a really decent PSU would be my advice if pc hangs in game with power hungry video cards.

i'm off nvidea after having 2 x gainward GF4200Ti's pack up on me. persistant hangs. took me 6 months to suss that cards were U/S + PSU was underperforming. bought 9700 & it flew out of the box, no problems at all.

after the grief i had with gf4's i bought the ATI from crucial . 30 day no quibble exchange if i didn't like it, and lifetime warranty. cheap(ish) too.

still got one of the 4200's if anyone fancies a gamble ;) very fast (when it works).

Well the FX 5600 seems to fly compared to what I had before. What took most of the time rebuilding the pc, was the down loading of all the latest service packs and fixes. I guess once I have broadband I'll update my internet explorer to v6.

The Prince of Persia is very good. I don't have a lot of gaming experience and can only compare it to the Harry Potter games that we have. The graphics are far superior to the HP games and I'm slowly getting the hang of having to use the direction keys left handed and the mouse in the right. Game does support a console, may be I'll have to invest in one (oh god not more money:( ) I had (still have some where) a copy of the original demo for PoP, that runs in a DOS environment - I enjoyed that as well, although to try and compare them is like comparing the life stile of a tramp to the queen. The new one has great scenery and runs 3d rather than 2d.

Minimum requirements for the game are; P3 800Mhz, Win 98, 2K, EP, ME, 256MB Ram, Direct 9 (included on cd), Geforce III or higher or ATI Radeon 8500 or higher, min 1.5 GB space on HDD, 16x CD or faster, Direct X 9 compatible soundcard .

AndyB said:
I'm slowly getting the hang of having to use the direction keys left handed and the mouse in the right

mouse & keyboard is THE way to go for first person games and third party stuff like max payne too.

persevere.

Anyone play MOHAA on broadband ?. I have a game now and again with my brother and brother in law to let the stress of life out. We should all know better and spend our time doing DIY, or speaking to our wives etc, but apparently it's addictive. Anyway, if you fancy a game and think ya hard, let me know.

Simon, aged 9 and three quarters

cookie said:
mouse & keyboard is THE way to go for first person games and third party stuff like max payne too.

persevere.

Bought myself a logitec wingmaster - game pad today. Just have to get the games to recognise it is there... Probably reinstall of the game knowing my luck:mad:

Cookie, send me an email so I can return one and let you know when we're on. Just connect to the IP. It'll be in about 3 days, Cheers

Back
Top Bottom