Newcastle Norway arctic circle

dogslow

Hello ,I would like to do a trip to Norway maybe as far as Nordkapp but that isn't to important,I want to take my picture beside that sign which says "You are now entering the Arctic Circle".From the look of these forums I am sure you can advise.
No1
From Newcastle(North Shields) which is the best place to start in Norway.( i know, where the ship docks)
No2
How long does it take to ride north in hours and miles to the arctice circle.
No3
thinking of the weather what is the best time of year.
No4
How much is petrol a gallon sorry I am not a litre person.
No5
Camping is gonna be my means of daily rest are campsites a regular feature of Norway/sweden.

anyway thank you in anticipation and merry Xmas
:beer: :beerjug: :)

Dogslow...you know that old lady in the ad who traps the heinekin driver in her cellar???

Its someone called Liv and i bet she'll post here......watch out for her heheheh

;)

Dogslow.

Go to the travel forum and do a search on ''Norway".

Camping is gonna be my means of daily rest are campsites a regular feature of Norway/sweden.

Organised campsites are plentiful and many have cabins for rent. However, Norway is one big campsite as you can camp anywhere as long as you are a certain distance [150m?] from the nearest house.

From Newcastle(North Shields) which is the best place to start in Norway.( i know, where the ship docks)

For me the choice of starting point was dictated by arrival time - early morning suits me so I choose Kristiansand.

Russ

Attachments

• horse2.jpg
    horse2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 255
Hi Doslow.

I'm the girl Fanum warned you about! :p

Did you read some of the threads in ''Over Seas''-section?
Do that, and ask me again lather!
And read letters from Zwerver; he has been here!

If you got 10 days; don't go to Sweden or Nordkapp.
But if you feel you just have to go to Nordkapp and visit Sweden:
Boat to Stavanger/Kristiansand/Bergen-go east- Sweden-go up north (boring roads & nature, drive many kilometres pr. day) and go to Nordkapp. You have now past the most boring part; Sweden & the north of Norway.
So, after Nordkapp:
Go south, and don't pass all the funny things! Sleep at the same place twice sometimes and try some of the small, tiny gravel roads!

Get good maps 1:400 000. And bring your Visa card/Master card. And please don't bring any Marmite!
;)

Alcohol = expensive
Petrol = not that expensive.

And the elg (moose/elk) are big; 500kg, and thay eat GS'ers. :D

Merry Christmas!
Please ask if you need info!

:beer: Liv, Norway.

thank you all for replying,

have a lovely
Xmas

and summer is just just around the next corner
Steve:beerjug:

flipping heck once I get talking its hard stopping ,I have tried getting an online quote from Newcastle to Kristiansand return for me and the bike to no avail so If you have been how much did you pay.I think I am going from Kristiansand to Oslo then at a brisk pace straight north from there up to Nordkapp and then take a sedate pace back thru wherever.What is the best time for the (watch the schpelling )Aurora you know what.
it's amazing the effect of Kronenbourg 1664 makes these keyboards gan arl fuzzy:beer:

I dont know if this helps but Ncastle - Kristiansand - Gothenberg return in the high season last year was £240 with a nice cabin and meals.
I should think Ncastle-Kristiansand would be cheaper as its 8 hours less sailing. And if you go late May it might be cheaper still.
I`ve been in May and had great weather.

heres some pictures

Well Done:beerjug:
Kristiansand gothenburg looks better, .then north east and north put some miles on in the begining then easy on the way back.:D

Hi Dogslow.

Aurora Borealis = The Northern Lights = Nordlyset.
If you wanna see it in Norway you don't have to go far north, (I have seen it from my home close to Oslo), but you have to be here in the winter. And you need some luck!!
I have lived here all my life, and I have seen it less then 10 times, and all in the winter.

But I'm sure they see it a lot more often in the north, but they don't have sun at all in the winter, so there's not much other things to look at!

There are some meetings here in January and February; perhaps you'll see it, perhaps you don't.
The meetings are Primustreffet (you sleep in your tent in the wood, not a camp site with food/toilets), and there are Krystallrally (you stay at a hotel).

Me?
I'll stay by the fireplace!!

Read old post at ''Over Seas''.;)

:) Liv.

Liv said:
Hi Dogslow.

Aurora Borealis = The Northern Lights = Nordlyset.
If you wanna see it in Norway you don't have to go far north, (I have seen it from my home close to Oslo), but you have to be here in the winter. And you need some luck!!
I have lived here all my life, and I have seen it less then 10 times, and all in the winter.:) Liv.

Haven't seen it during my hollidays in Scandinavia, but once saw it
in august on Iceland... Its amazing!!!
Were with 7 ppl, the four of us just came out of the hot river after a midnight bath at Landmannalaugar, when 3 Germans arrived
at the campsite... Because it was dark, we went to help them with their midnight crossing of the two stream before the camping, when the lightshow started... Funny is that nobody
thought about taking pics, we just watched it for a couple of hours...

dogslow said:
Well Done:beerjug:
Kristiansand gothenburg looks better, .then north east and north put some miles on in the begining then easy on the way back.:D

Starting in Gothenburg is a good way to get to the North fast,
is you travel along the Vaner-lake take the 45 Inlandsvegen
and follow it to the north... Saves a lot of time, which you will
need if you want to see more of Norway then just the E6 when traveling south...
If you've got a bit more time, why not take the ferry back from Kristiansand to Hirtshals? That way you can take a more interesting route southwards; instead of following the E6 back to Oslo you can for example go over the Golden route to the Trollstigen and Geiranger, the Jotunheimen (road 55)
the Sognefjord, Hardangervida ect...

some good ideas there I'm gonna go consult my Map and a Bottle of 1664 Kronenbourg.

Back
Top Bottom