Clive's Monday Night Novice ride - last week

wadham

Reaction score
Clive offered to initiate a few first timers off road so that we can come on his White Horse ride on the 11th May with a bit more confidence. I'm sure he thought the worst when we all turned up on road tyres and he was instantly recognised by being the only one having knobblies on.

So the five of us chatted and shook hands, compared bikes etc and started to sweat a bit. Clive was asked to show or tell us some very basic things we need to know when riding off road on lanes so the first thing he did was chuck his bike on the ground and show us how to pick it up again. Oooh err missus.:eek: Actually it was good to see him do this as it showed how easy it is to get it up again if you know what you are doing and letting the bike fall over on soft muddy ground is some times the best option rather than it falling on your knee. :blast

So fully briefed we headed off into the shoppers and carved our way somewhere else that ended up making a turn onto that funny brown stuff.
The next hour consisted of riding a bit and then stopping to discuss what we had done and further advice given each time. Most of the ride was on firm surfaces with the odd bit of mud and Clive stopped us after a short distance off road to practice some essentials such as spinning up the rear wheel and braking hard enough to lock the wheels. Easy really.:rolleyes:

A couple of times we met muddy holes that challenged us but with Clives help we all got throught them. Mostly by just gunning the beast out. I lost it once and was slipping all over the place but held it up. No one dropped their bike and we all enjoyed a nice white knuckle ride until we finished on the Devils Highway. A nice ride back to Reading and then home.

Many thanks to Clive from us all for the advice and time to help us out.

TKC80's would be my preferred tyre if I ride off road on mud again but having done this on Battlewings I am sure my riding skills have been enhanced. Traction control on my 08 GSA worked well. A big bike is easy to ride off road if you ride to your own limitations.

We showed absolute respect for other byway users at all times and especially some horses we came across where we waited for them to clear the track. We waved at them and got a friendly wave back which was nice.
:)

Thanks Mate.

Steve

PS - No Bloody photos taken.

Back
Top Bottom