Laminar Lip on an 12GSA (08) first impressions

stonetown

Reaction score
Just fitted a laminar lip to the screen on my 2008 1200GS Adventure and been for a couple of runs with 2 different seats. I'm well impressed, with just the standard screen I could ride visor open up to 20-25 mph, now I can ride at any speed visor open. Before, the noise was very intrusive and earplugs were a must, now, I can ride without earplugs if I want. I have an Arai Astro J helmet and I am just on 6ft tall.

Ive fitted the lip in pretty much the highest position I could, this adds approx 8cm to the height of the screen and around 0.5 to 2cm to the sides. Riding with the standard seat there is no noise until I put my visor down, the airflow seems to start hitting about forehead height, the noise is so much more reduced than with the standard screen. Riding with a standard touratech (Kaheedo) seat (approx 1 inch lower than standard), there is virtually no noise visor down and the airlflow skims the top of my helmet.

The lip comes with velcro stick pads already affixed and a few spare for adding height adjustments, fixing was done in 5 mins. As I already run with the screen in highest position I still have adjustment to lower the screen using the adjusters as well as adding more velcro fixings if I want.

The lip doesn't seem to have affected front end handling and doesn't provide any vision worries so far.

A top buy so far from http://shop.heroblobs.co.uk/collections/bmw-r1200gs/products/laminar-lip-for-bmw-r1200gs-1 for £71.00 all in. :clap:thumb2:thumb2:clap

Some phots....

Phots

Attachments

• P5060011web.jpg
    P5060011web.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,330
  • P5060012web.jpg
    P5060012web.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • P5060013web.jpg
    P5060013web.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,478
I wonder how secure it would be at 120MPH on a German autobarn :eek:

Using a TT spoiler on my screen with no problems to date :thumb

I had it up to sub-autobarn speeds on the local dual carriageway for a short period until I spotted plod (they are definately out in force at the moment). A couple of hours on the autobarn would be a good test though.

I wonder how secure it would be at 120MPH on a German autobarn :eek:

Using a TT spoiler on my screen with no problems to date :thumb

This little "jobbie" does the trick... been tested up to 160km/hr .....

sheet.... cannot add attachements yet....?? :( will update this one soon!

This little "jobbie" does the trick... been tested up to 160km/hr .....

sheet.... cannot add attachements yet....?? :( will update this one soon!

Aha.... sorted! :thumb2

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,255
I have a lam lip fitted with 6 x 3M velcro tabs on my GT - they've been on for over 20k miles with speeds over 130mph (gosh, it must've been windy to test that :augie ). Bike was almost unrideable before - but the lip removed the head battering. Still need ear plugs tho. Maybe I should stick the exhaust back on?

shit - thats not a laminar lip - its a feckin barn door !!

attachment.php

Goose - what is that you have there? Do you have a link please?

I wonder how secure it would be at 120MPH on a German autobarn [sic] :eek:

I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine. The Duolock which Laminar Lip supply is a very effective fastener. I fitted a Lip to the screen of my first GS in 2005 and I transferred the screen and Lip to my '07 bike when I got it last year. It's never even suggested that it should detach itself from the screen even at an indicated 122 mph on the GS - although that was on a twisty Scottish A road. Maybe it'd be different on the Autobahn.....:rolleyes:

The lip's been working fine up to 130mph (indicated) (I haven't had a longer stretch of road to get my GSA going any faster :augie). The lip hasn't moved at all and I'm well happy with it.

Other observations:

It looks like a barn door in the photos but looks more like a revolving door in real life.

My helmet visor has an incredible lack of flying insects on it for the time of year!

My head is cooler on those warm(ish) days due to being able to ride with the visor open and my face not being blatted with bees, wasps etc (a pair of sunglasses also helps here).

There is still some buffeting but the noise is much reduced and is quieter with the visor up (Arai AstroJ)

Watering eyes syndrome (wind rush into helmet and eyes) is much reduced

There is still good airflow around the body to stay cool on hot days, especially when wearing Rukka Air gear, perfect ! :thumb:thumb

:thumb2

I think I'm reaching the opinion that motorbike screens must be one the most complex aspects of motorcycling with compromises on wind blast, cooling, heating, buffeting, back pressure, aerodynamics, looks, style, view etc

i think i might be investing in one of them fat lip things :)

edit: in fact i have done.

had some money sloshing around in my paypal account from recent sales, so it's almost like it's free :mmmm

I have one on my gs1150 adventure and it definitely works, i can ride at motorway speeds with my visor up with little or no turbulence and the buffeting is a thing of the past.

I know that £62 is a lot for what is nothing more than a small piece of acrylic but for the comfort it provides its a bargain i think.

Biker

Goose - what is that you have there? Do you have a link please?

Soz for the late reply mate!

The product is produced here in Safrica - called "Aerotrim". I have managed to get some distribution agreement going with the owner, and will be bringing these to the UK when we move there the end of the year. Cost here in SA is R400 (so do the math and divide by 15 for the time being) with postage etc. possibly looking at about 30 quid.
The are available in orange (for those non-Charlie-Ewan-friendly bike manufacturers) smokey grey and clear.

A lot of the chaps found that at 160km/hr (100 m/hr) they can still ride with the visor up on the helmet. Definitely breaks the wind - really works and simple to fit!

Have a look at www.aerotrim.co.za
:rob

Aerotrim available in the UK from here:-

http://shop.heroblobs.co.uk/

Slightly more than £30 though :eek:

Regards Bob

Interesting - thanks for the heads-up! Seemed to have reached a dead-end here with supplier. Once we started querying "patent" issues and possible conflict with another European design... the correspondence stopped.:blast
Sad though... it does work and with a small bit of minor changes... could be a really good product.

laminar lip

Fitted a lip after reading posts here, very pleased, not , perfect but a real reduction in wind noise and I can now ride up to 80-90,with visor open should I wish ,I fitted mine with the top of the lip about 6-7 cms above original screen (1200 adv) well worth the money,and yes it does stay in place at motorway speeds.

Fitted a lip after reading posts here, very pleased, not , perfect but a real reduction in wind noise and I can now ride up to 80-90,with visor open should I wish ,I fitted mine with the top of the lip about 6-7 cms above original screen (1200 adv) well worth the money,and yes it does stay in place at motorway speeds.

If I may ask - which lip did you fit? :)

Pics below of my set up...Laminar lip on cee baileys 2" higher and 2" wider than stock gsa screen and tobinators. Can cruise at 80 with visor up and no bufetting. I know this is the 1200 forum but thought it might help to see the settings.

Biker

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom