Wireless networking

tonys

Just bought a cheap laptop in Staples, want to wireless network it to the main home PC, laptop runs XP, PC runs ME, any likely problems? We use BT broadband, will the laptop be able to share the connection? Preferably without too much cost/trouble
advice would be much appreciatted!

I have wireless on my laptop and wireless on the kid's PC. These hook into a wireless router which has 4 x ethernet ports as well plus the WAN port that is then connected into an ethernet ADSL modem. If you currently have a USB ADSL modem then you will have to ditch this and replace it with an ethernet one. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems. Happy to advise if you do.

Mike

Sorry to pee on the bonfire but yes you will have problems.........

Not because of the wireless aspects but because of the ME.........unless you're lucky it'll be a pig to set up, drop the connection a lot and cause all sorts of PITA conflicts and a major rise in your stress levels.

XP, for all its faults and security holes, is pretty good when it comes to setting up a network.

When (if) you get it up and running, do a search on Google for wireless lan security.....you'll need to change some default passwords and cover yourself or some git will come along and pinch your bandwidth or worse.

Good luck!!!

Linksys

BT Broadband recommend you use Linksys Wireless Network USB units available from Simply Computers at about £50 a pop. Seem to work well after initial set-up nightmare for which the English helpline were actually very helpful.

So maybe the best solution would be to put XP on the PC and use the USB Linksys thingy?

I've never tried the linksys thing but as for XP then yes definately......'specially as you presumably have a nice pukka copy on disc with the Laptop.

Don't forget to do all the backing up and exporting of email account details etc etc.

The Laptop came with it's own, 'branded' recovery discs, so not entirely sure what'll happen if I try to use them on the PC. Can blag a copy of XP pro from work though!

Back
Top Bottom