DDay

philwood90

Is does anyone else go to Normandy for the DDay celerbration / rememberance.

We ended up there on the 6th June a few years ago - more by accident than intention. The busiest by far was Pegasus Bridge and the adjoining Cafe Gondre. The carnival atmosphere was very good with all the old boys in their berets etc.

Hi

I've been across to Normandy several times around the 6th June again more by chance than design, took my father ( Normandy veteran ) to the 60th celebrations in 2004.

Well worth going, quite a few veterans attend, good atmosphere

Also quite a few WW2 vehicles, motorbikes in evidence

Try Bayeaux CWWG and memorial for possible organised remembrance service.

Also try contacting/websearch British legion/Remembrance Travel/Leger Coaches to see if there are any services/events, being organised this year before making your own arrangements.

4/7th Dragoon Guards Association ( Creully Club ) always hold a small remembrance service at their memorial in Cruelly on the 6th June each year.

Hope this helps

Correction

Hi

Correction

Further to above, read Poppy Travel ( http://www.poppytravel.org.uk ), travel branch of British Legion instead of Remembrance Travel.

Attached, a few waypoints ( mapsource ) and associated notes that may be of use ?

Creully Club ( 4/7th Dragoon Guards Association link ( they have a remembrance service this year in Normandy )

http://www.creullyclub.freeuk.com/frameset.htm

Attachments

• Normandy WW2.gdb
    6.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Normandy WW2 Waypoints-Notes.doc
    116 KB · Views: 88
I went in 2004 for the 60th and have been back every year since. So much to see and do. And a chance to see vehicles working not just in a musse. Theres nothing quite like having a pair of Sherman tanks coming down the road towards you.

Attachments

• dday01.jpg
    dday01.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 172
I'm off to revisit the Somme and then go on to Normandy next week. Have to admit that I chose these dates so as to avoid the crowds.

Back
Top Bottom