Vario panniers carrier & fitting kit - £144
With coded locks + free fitting - Total - £544

Vario topcase - £240
Large carrier for vario topcase - £64
With coded locks + free fitting - Total - £304

Small luggage carrier - £42.90
Enduro tail bag - £35.94
Holder for BMW Motorrad Navigator - £45.80

And now I look more closely, those crash bars are more substantial than the ones on previous pix of the 800GS.

Edit: I lied, they are the same...but shinier.

Attachments

• f800-ali-rear.jpg
    f800-ali-rear.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 15,104
Last edited:
Those are the GSA luggage, apparently rails and adapter kits will be available in the future but could be an expensive option as these will be a BMW dealer option. :eek:

Nope :rob

They are the 1200 Adv style F800GS panniers. There are huge differences between the two, so don't be running out and buy a set for a 12 because they won't fit.

what are the luggage options on the new bikes?

Anyone apart from BMW make / plan to make anything from the F800 GS / F658 yet?

I'm guessing that the 800GS doesn't have a lot to choose from apart from BMW oe ones right now.

So, does anyone know if any of the other manufacturers have the 800 in their sights ?

I like the look of the alloy systems (Zega/Metal Mule....but not Caja Sahel as they look decidedly agricultural and home-made tackyish). Although the BM ones will possibly be easier to take off when not in use, without having the Forth Bridge girders on display, I think that long term, alloy ones will be a better job.

Anybody 'in the know' ? :nenau

The SW-Motech Trax are due for release shortly and a set of rails is already listed for the new 800 and 650GS as well as all of the GS range.:thumb

Beauty of this system is that when not in use the rails are simply removed leaving just the mounting points and eliminating the "Forth Bridge girders on display" which you are concerned with and proportion wise I think personally they will look perfect on the bike in either black powder coat or silver.

Having had a close look at the Vario system on Saturday it uses a lower mounting bar similar to the old 650 system which while providing support is likely to cause problems in the event of a spill. On the old bike the support bars can get bent on even a light drop leaving the panniers loose.:blast

There is a bit of a group deal organised for the Trax so if your interested drop me a PM and I'll let you have the good news. :aidan

http://www.motohaus.co.uk/acatalog/TraX_Side_cases_and_adaptors.html

LeipzigBikeShow0804000.jpg

LeipzigBikeShow0804100.jpg

Traxrear.jpg

Italian Trev took the above pictures at the Leipzig show fitted to a V-Strom.

HAve a bit of a group buy going, I'll PM you the details. :augie

LeipzigBikeShow0804200.jpg

2DakarTrax.jpg

DakarTrax1.jpg

Thunder,are you talking about the Evo quick lock system here:
"Beauty of this system is that when not in use the rails are simply removed leaving just the mounting points "

Also , is it expected to buy the 37L on the exhaust side and the 45L on the other to balance the bike or is there going to be a large gap on the RHS where there is no pipe? ie are the mounting rails going to be symmetrical and you would have two 37L cases or two 45L cases for symmetry.

I'm definitely interested in a group buy.
Thanks

Motech have designed the rails to have an offset to handle the exhaust on the left side and recommend a 45 litre right and a 37 litre left to equalize the panniers on each side.

You can of course use 2 45's or 2 37's if you wish but visually they will not look balanced.

Let me have an email and I'll drop you the details, can't pm as your not a subscriber

If money was no object, what luggage system would you like - based on past experience or other bikes, since no-one has any experience yet ith the new bikes?

I want to take my forthcoming F 800 GS on adventures as soon as I can and still haven't made up my mind if I want plastic or ally boxes. On the whole, it seems that plastic survives the occasional off, rather better than ally.

Also do folk favour top or side loading?

My personal preference is for top loading panniers as I find them easier to pack and most importantly access when fitted to the bike.

I'm happy with alloy panniers myself but if I was to consider a composite pannier it would be the Hepco and Becker Gobi, you lose capacity wth the twin wall design but they are as tough as old boots and surviv well in a drop situation.

For the serious adventurer the twin wall design can be used for storage of drinking water with an optional tap. :thumb

Touratech catalogue shows LOADS of bling for the 800/650GS's, including Zega pannier system. No prices yet 'tho.

The website has the prices ... £569 for the 29/35 litre generic square boxes, and £881 for the 41/41 litre "fitted" boxes

Go on, explain that a little more.......:nenau

Well, going through some posts here, I saw a few pictures of someones bike fitted with said CS panniers. They looked like they were knocked up in a garden shed with ugly big welds and a cut-out for the exhaust which was an absolute horror. Most of the panniers I've seen look like they've had some thought put into them and they're not just slabs of alloy stuck together. The topbox I saw in some other thread was like a storage tank. I know some will deride me for such comments, but ultimately, most people like a bit of style with their bits and pieces. And the CS boxes (panniers is too pretty a name for them :augie ) just don't cut it in my book. Oh, and they're far too expensive as well for what you're getting.

Went for a test drive today and just put my Touratech top box onto the bike to see what it looked like - I think it looks OK :clap

Attachments

• PC060063.jpg
    PC060063.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 14,794
  • PC060064.jpg
    PC060064.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 14,923
  • PC060065.jpg
    PC060065.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 14,698
Nice to see the peli case on the back there - got to fit mine tomorrow, is that the 1450? I was thinking about maybe going down a size for the 800, I can't really do without some sort of box but don't want it to look to out of place.
Here ya go.....................

Wizard, how do those Peli cases attatch to the rack.Had a quick look at their website but couldn't see anything about that. Ta.

1off Peli 1450 case
1off Touratwat rack
4off M6x25 s/s bolts
4off M6 s/s Nylok bolts
8off M6 s/s spring washers
8off M6 s/s "penny" washers
1off 6mm drill bit
1off AEG 18V Li-Ion rechargeable drill

Sorted :aidan

Attachments

• Picture 051wee.JPG
    Picture 051wee.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 14,395
  • Picture 053wee.JPG
    Picture 053wee.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 14,189
  • Picture 050wee.JPG
    Picture 050wee.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 14,065
Fitted my 1450 today. I've just used the ali plate I made to fit it to my 1150. You need to change the stand torx bolts for something a bit longer (i can go measure them if you need to know how much longer) and I made a couple of spaces up for the rear mounts (33mm works just nice) - just cut some half inch steel tube down and a quick coat of smooth black hammerite.

As for fitting the 1450 to the plate just drill through the little feet on the bottom of the 1450. A little geometry to work out where to drill the plate for those rear bolts on the GS and all done. Its been on the back of my 1150 for 3 years and still looks good as new.

Bit off topic but have people seen that peli now do a proper 'pannier' shaped box - pretty good price to :D
http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_1430_case-p-26_116.html

Just need to find a suitable rack ....

Thanks for the tip about the 1200 guards Stumpy - might go for them, pics would be really handy.

Hello to everybody! I am new to the forum, but i have been following it closely as i am awaiting my F800GS to put next to my trust R80GS (hence my nickname!) I am planning to use the bike for some long overland trips, the next in southamerica next year, and i am trying to figure out the best luggage option.

I am basically let with 2 options: zega cases from Touratech or Metal mule.
The problem with this bike is that the exhaust system is quite wide, and makes difficult to fit a reasonable sized case on the left hand side.

TT has tried to overcome the problem with a specific designed set of cases which have recesses for both the exhaust and the tank on the right side. problem is that then i cannot use these cases with my other bike. On the other hand i tried the zega cases last year in Tunisia, and i liked them and fined them sturdy enough despite some not so positive reviews in different forums.

On the other hand I like the quality of MM cases, but with them you have either to install a thinner exhaust system, that MM offers (but i would not like to change the pipe...) or you have to go for a thinner (29L) case on the exhaust.

Now my question is if anybody has installed any of those systems and can provide some feedback as well as some photos (esp. the TT I would be curious to see the recessed part of the cases: there is not much to see on TT website...).

Many thanks!
Gi

Has anyone gotten a set for their new 650/800 bikes? How are they like to use? Any pics of the bags and mounts? :mmmm
Yeah, i've got a set of the panniers...

The pro's are:

They're smart looking, sturdy construction, feel solid & well made. The vario thing is pretty unique, attach & detach easily & the bike still looks good when they're removed (ie the frames/hangers aren't ugly or obtrusive)

& the con's:

Heavy buggers! all that solidity & vario mechanism = weight. They're thick walled also, that along with the vario gubbins means that they aren't as voluminious as you might think from the outer dimensions. EXPENSIVE.

I had a set of small Givi panniers on my Africa twin that i reckon were just as big (as the vario's in small mode), opened at the top (not side) so it was easy to get at stuff when the box's are on the bike. They were simple & light, waterproof too. They looked much cheaper though, definately not as bling as the BMW's, but all in all, if i were doing it again, knowing what i now know, i'd be looking at other systems as well as the Vario's i'd say it's 50/50 depending on your requirements...

Hope that helps...:)

Got my varios at the discount price - including coded locks. Trip round france saw everything for camping (tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc) stored in the right box and all bike stuff in the left.

Work perfectly, available at launch, expandable, look good, maintain resale value.

Much the same experiences as Argonaught, although I would add that having a single key is a bonus - especially as the area around the ignition is liable to scratch with large numbers of keys bouncing around on it.

I didn't plump for the BMW inner bags - that would've added another £130+.
Dave at Mane Event told me that the same inner bags for the 1200GS fit the 800, so a quick crawl on eBay found a pair for £30 from the US. Good quality stuff - same as ManeEvent - but gets the £/$ value.

I've uploaded some views of the vario panniers fixed to the bike, both closed and extended and with some views of the mountings. I've also included a pic of the the bags I got from the US on fleabay - they're good quality gear and a perfect fit.

Go here if you want some - they have 4 more available as of today. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...ryZ35580QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Kappa box is the one I had on my old 650GS - I've fixed a universal Monokey plate (£15 from getgeared.co.uk) on top of the Touratech alloy luggage rack until the F800GS Givi mount is available. I now have the option of a top box for commuting or putting a roll bag on for touring - and also a high-level brake light. :bounce1

Attachments

• F800GS Apr08 012.jpg
    F800GS Apr08 012.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 32,183
  • F800GS Apr08 015.jpg
    F800GS Apr08 015.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 28,826
  • F800GS Apr08 013.jpg
    F800GS Apr08 013.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 14,167
  • F800GS Apr08 017.jpg
    F800GS Apr08 017.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 14,809
  • F800GS Apr08 005.jpg
    F800GS Apr08 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14,080
Do the panniers from the R1200GS fit the F650/800GS?

Because they are very simmilar, it could be?
Sorry for my english ;)
Thanks in advance

V's from spain :beerjug: :beerjug:

How much were the bashplate and handguards? I'm thinking that I'll be 70% urban and 30% dirt roads, so am probably going to go with the BMW panniers for now. Not sure about the top box. What do you think? Do they seem sturdy enough?

I love the Varios, makes everything look so tidy. Only issue I have is that the Vario top box is tiny cos I'm used to Givi E46's, could stuff the kitchen sink into those things!

The vario cases mechanically are identical the the ones on the 1200gs. Main difference is just a different outer design and mounting points. It looks sturdy enough but just remember that its made of plastic after all. The 1200 threads should give plenty of info on how well they hold up. The bashplate was about $270 CAD and the handguards are about $150 if I remember correctly. Hand guards are good, not merely for decoration and wind protection. It comes with a beefy bar that looks like it will handle anything you drop on it. Hope this helps.

Hard luggage--moans about Touratech

i have a set of Zega boxs off my 1150 Adv.(just sold) now i want to try and put them on a F800 GS but am having trouble finding a rack system that are for sale now!!(Not Next Year) touratech havent got any untill they dont know and MetalMule want £300.00 for them...any other after market companys out there i am happy to pay upto £200.00 but no more...any good fabricator welders out there want to urn some money let me Know....

Back
Top Bottom