► Lights, indicators, electrics and alarm

Cole

Reaction score
Do all the current BMs have similar sizes n mountings on their alternators?

If, for example, I wanted to change from the 400 watt alternator that is on the F650 and is due to appear on the F800, to a 600 or 720 watt alternator from a 1200, would that be an easy switch?

It might the same situation as it was on the 1150's - whereby if you took heated grips as a factory standard, you automatically got a higher rated alternator. :nenau I'd be interested to know. Also, how do you know the 800 is getting the 650 alternator?

Also, how do you know the 800 is getting the 650 alternator?

By looking at the spec sheet. (see Tim's post at http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1172751&postcount=1)

They are both 400 watt alternators

I also note that the new 08 model 1200 GS has gone up from its old 600 w alternator to the Adventure's 720w. Both 1200s now capable of running 720 watts of stuff! HID-tastic !!

Pity the F650/800 are still running 400w, like the old F650/Dakar. Its not like this new 800cc engine doesnt have the power n torque to run a bigger alternator now is it?

You will need to connect your optimate direct to the battery to avoid the can-bus problems. Much cheaper than a BMW charger!.
Dave gs.

Got one of the first 800GS's coming. The first thing I'll be doing is to fit another 12 volt outlet socket, wired through a Centech auxilliary fuse panel, which is wired direct to the battery. The GPS and the xenon light will be wired the same way. Did this to my 800ST no problems. You can then trickle charge by plugging directly in to the socket... can bus system of no consequence this way :thumb

Already got the Centech unit from Nippy Normans :thumb

micky i have an FGS on order and want to add "toys" sat nav autocom etc

a do you know if the centech will fit anywhere on the FGS?
b does it stay live all the time as its wired directly to the battery?

not seen or used centech before and my previous 1150 adventure wasn't canbus so in the darks as best way to go

I'm absolutely shure HRO that the battery will be under the front of the 'dummy' tank, just behind the headstock, as on the 800S/ST's. I'll be mounting the Centech unit under the seat somewhere, for easy access, with heavy duty wire and in line fuse up to the battery. The Centech fuse unit will therefore be 'live' all the time... but no probs. Plenty of room under the seat for sure.

I like my GPS feed to be live all the time so that I can 'play' with it while outside a cafe etc. no need to have the ignition on.

The xenon light will pick up it's relay feed via the main beam wire, so there's no chance of leaving that on because it can only be on when on main beam.

Hope this helps...

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

I'm totally new to this Canbus technology. It's clear that you can't charge the battery via the auxiliary socket and the manual says to charge the battery direct, it should be disconnected from the bike if using a normal charger. A special BMW charger can charge via the socket apparently.

My question is, can I attach extra stuff via a fused connection direct to the battery (eg heated jacket, satnav etc>) as I would on a bike with a conventional electrical system, or do I need some special gubbins to do it? The manual doesn't enlighten me on this point.

You can make direct cnnections to the battery should you wish to do so either using in line fuses or an aftermarket fuse box such as Centach or Blue Sea systems.:thumb

Thunder,
Many thanks.

Is there a spare aux connector on the headstock, like the 1200GS and 800ST? If nobody has looked yet I plan to dismantle mine on Saturday... :eek:

Twisticles,
As far as I can see, there's just one aux socket, near the headstock but located on top of the "tank" -it's rated for 5A according to the manual.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a Talon 3300ip alarm, which has proximity sensors to warn people off before they actually get on the bike. Does the BMW fitted alarm have this facility? Does the BMW alarm have a warning LED?

I'm still considering the BMW alarm but what puts me off it is it acts as an immobiliser . If it decides to play up it might leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere and the recovery people might be reluctant to go to Strata Florida etc . If i get the Talon i would fit it as a stand alone anti-tamper device not connected to the starter etc.
The BMW alarm doesn't have this facility. The only thing the BMW alarm has going for it is that it doesn't require the ooffer-dooffer to switch the alarm off (you just turn the key).

In terms of reliability, I'd be looking at the current draw from the Talon. The R1200GS' battery is a (only just) fit-for-purpose design.

I'm still considering the BMW alarm but what puts me off it is it acts as an immobiliser...

Like the monkey said, the BMW alarm has no proximity sensor (like robcop?). There is a warning LED on the main dash. The alarm doesn't act as immobiliser - that comes as standard AFAIK, and has been pointed out on 1200 threads the ring antennae could leave you stranded...its a good spare part to carry (if you own a 1200). We'll see if it presents problems on the 800.

More to the point (in the UK at least) the BMW alarm is not thatcham rated, so as far as insurers are concerned, you don't *have* an alarm! :eek:

With hindsight, I would rather have the little extra space in the tail piece than the alarm. YMMV.

I tend to agree about the space being preferable to the alarm which is one reason i never ordered it from the factory (the others being no discount on insurance and added complexity).
It's just that on odd occasions the bike will be away from home for a night or two and the closer i get to picking the bike up ( this Friday) the more it's playing on my mind that there will be no audible warning if anyone tries to tamper.

The BMW alarm is no longer a realistic option anyway. The dealer tells me £140 was for the factory fit and the aftermarket fit will be nearer £270. Fair enough i suppose.
I may have to go with the talon and just use the tilt sensors and proximity sensors (which i'm told work very well) and make sure the battery is tended when the bike is not used for any lengh of time.
Cheers.

I didn't order an alarm on the grounds that everyone ignores them anyway. The more troublesome they are the more they get ignored too. There's a bloke who lives opposite me whose alarm keeps going off and judging by our neighbours views on the subject, that is definitely the best time to burgle the house..

The extra space saved with no alarm under the seat might house a few fag packets or an autocom but not a lot more. It does at least appear weatherproof unlike the ridiculous thing at the rear end of the 650 single.

never saw the point of an alarm on a bike personally,as far as i can see the only thing they are good at is wasting the battery or am i missing the point? if some feckin scrote wants your bike an alarm aint going to stop him

It's a deterrent and if it goes off it will give me time, where i stay at weekends, to do something about it getting knicked or even just messed about with..

I'd rather have the chance to do something than just lay there asleep while my ride for the next day disappears silently along with all the hassle that entails.It must be a pretty sickening feeling to plan a weekend out and wake up to an empty parking space.

Sure ,if they want the bike bad enough nothing will stop them but i'm thinking a lot of thefts are opportunistic.

don't rule out tracker either for the cost of £350 for the first year

then £255 (to be payed within one year of having tracker fitted)for lifetime or as long as you keep the bike (or £125.00 every year) :nenau

I suppose you should look at the cost of a good bike alarm then see if tracker is for you ???

Wiring add-ons

For those who have the bike already have you found a good place to pick up power and a frame earth away from the battery?

Alternatively has anyone fitted the Centech fuse mount yet?

Cheers.

Some more mods...

Position of 12v aux outlet
GPS mounting
Centech fuse unit
Wunderlich R1200GS tank bag modified to fit
Front mounting straps for Wunderlich Adventure tank bag

Ignition key accessible, all clocks can be read...

www.adventure.gs

Attachments

• 12v socket.jpg
    12v socket.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,262
  • GPS mount.jpg
    GPS mount.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Centech fuse unit.jpg
    Centech fuse unit.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Tank bag fitted.jpg
    Tank bag fitted.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Front straps tank bag.jpg
    Front straps tank bag.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,263
Micky, i take it the Centech unit slides down behind the battery when not being photographed? Did the battery leads come with it?

Mine does, but you need to remove the standoffs (if fitted) :thumb

Fuse panel & relay down the side of the battery, Autocom under the seat. :thumb

Micky, i take it the Centech unit slides down behind the battery when not being photographed? Did the battery leads come with it?

Ta.

No... it sits just there where seen. Took the mounting lugs off and wuz gonna just slide it in lose behind di battery like Wizard says, but sitting where it does it clears. Front tie wrapped to the plastic battery holder, rear has small self tappers into the air filter housing. Just to make sure I relieved some of the black plastic curved section that sits above it, under the top tank panel ... no probs. I made the battery leads up myself.

The tank top panel can be taken off without removing the seat, so access to the Centech fuse box can be made within a couple of minutes max.

Packer... the old guy with my 'bike is my 'stand in' but unfortunately he doesn't look after himself as well as I do :augie

Back
Top Bottom