Are Zumo's Regionalised In Any Way.

Horsedribble

Reaction score
I'm about to visit the States and I was considering buyng a Zumo while I'm out there and take advantage of the good exchange rates.

Does anyone know if they're regionalised in any way, much like DVD's and Computer Games?

It's obviously going to come with US mapping which will be of little use to me and I'm wondering whether the saving will be shot by the time I've bought all the additional software required for here?

Has anyone been there and done this already?

It's doable on the unit itself replacing the preinstalled US mapping (gmapprom.img file) but something of a ball ache.

Better/easier to buy a decent 2GB SD card and write a gmapsupp.img file to that from Mapsource having selected the European mapping. You'll need to buy an unlock code for that because the unlock is tied to the particular Zumo unit and the mapping version/region. The purchase of the unlock will, very likely, make it more expensive that just buying the unit here. That's unless you have a need for US and European mapping of course.

I recently purchased a US StreetPilot 2720, I can't do anything with the US mapping, even a European update disk won't overwrite it. I have enough space on the internal memory (about 1GB) to store as much of Europe as I'm ever likely to use at one time so it's OK for my purpose. The 2720 has the disadvantage of that the internal memory can't be directly addressed (that I can find anyway) to enable replacement of the gmapprom.img as well as not having a card slot for expansion that way. The Zumo has neither of these issues.

Thanks Bumpkin!

Yeah, I figured something like this would be the case so I've given up on the idea. I don't think the small saving (if anything) is worth the grief and risk of trying to reprogramme the unit to get rid of the useless US mapping (Useless to me that is). I don't have much luck with anything like that!

Back
Top Bottom