What dirt bike for a grand?

millard

Reaction score
having been recently reinfected with the off road bug I'm now thinking of a lighter dirt bike than the GS for when I decide to take some more challenging tracks.
I reckon that with the help of eBay and a load of old Norton spares in me shed I can realise about £1000 and that's an absolute limit, so what can I get for me money?
What would you recomend for a six foot six incher wi 36 inch inside legs and who finds even an hour on a hard enduro type saddle an unhappy experience?
I can make bar raisers, lower pegs etc etc to suit me hieght, but looking for something with slightly more padding on the saddle than the board type things seen on modern tackle. I don't give a sh*t what it looks like, cosmetics just aren't important to me, but a lecky leg would be nice, twin or monoshock, and I'd ideally like a 500 or so engine.
I had a look at those Rotax engined ex army bikes on ebay and they look OK, whatd'ya think? Any suggestions/warnings welcomed.
Last dirt bike I had was a grey import Kwak KLX650 and I liked that but I only did a few thousand miles on it so don't really know about reliabilty etc.

Ideas on a postcard please,,,,
thanks
Millard

Out of interest, what d'you reckon the potential problems with the DVLA could be with something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....o=SI&its=I%2BIA&itu=CR%2BIA%2BUCI&otn=4&ps=42

I know I could sort it mechanically in very short order but the ad says no docs and no numbers. Now I built brit classics from spares and had them inspected and then registered no probs so the 'no docs' bit is of no great concern, but from my experience the examiners want to see engine and frame numbers. What d'ya reckon?
I don't have time to sell my bits and bid for this particular bike but just curious about if it'd be a heap of problems?

I reckon that with the help of eBay and a load of old Norton spares in me shed I can realise about £1000 and that's an absolute limit, so what can I get for me money?
What would you recomend for a six foot six incher wi 36 inch inside legs and who finds even an hour on a hard enduro type saddle an unhappy experience?
I can make bar raisers, lower pegs etc etc to suit me hieght, but looking for something with slightly more padding on the saddle than the board type things seen on modern tackle. I don't give a sh*t what it looks like, cosmetics just aren't important to me, but a lecky leg would be nice, twin or monoshock, and I'd ideally like a 500 or so engine.
I had a look at those Rotax engined ex army bikes on ebay and they look OK, whatd'ya think? Any suggestions/warnings welcomed.
Last dirt bike I had was a grey import Kwak KLX650 and I liked that but I only did a few thousand miles on it so don't really know about reliabilty etc.

Ideas on a postcard please,,,,
thanks
Millard

IIRC the only thing that lets down the ex-army bikes is the poor suspension.

The KLX is a nice looking bike, but compared to a lot of other off road bikes of similar size, it feels very top heavy, and again the suspension lets it down.

This said there is nothing stopping you changing the front end for that of an open class MX'er, £50 should get you one from ebay if your willing to tinker....

I have seen a few DR 350's going for around the 1k mark, though for your large frame these maybe a little on the small size...

I have got a part finished '94 Husky TC610* sat in a mates garage collecting dust if this would be more your thing? 50mm marzocchis up front, ohlins on the rear, engine rebuilt before it got it (though there are some minor issues that need rectifying-w'shop manual included), powder coated frame and new bearings and plastics throughout. Chain and sprockets are new to, as are brake pads. also has 18" and 19" rear wheels....

Also has the dating certificate to allow age related registration.

HTH?

nathan

*i should add this bike does go like a train, and the pick up is fantastic!

Not sure Nathan, had a quick look on google and they look like a crosser rather than a street legal enduro typa thing ?

Not sure Nathan, had a quick look on google and they look like a crosser rather than a street legal enduro typa thing ?

It is basically an MX machine, but the husky MXer's share the same generator as the enduro bikes. This one already has the light switch fitted, complete with wiring diagram. It's also got lights and a regulator, it just all needs fitting.

the engine is the same as the enduro bikes, just has a stronger gearbox and one less gear. Basically the same ratios of the enduro bike, without the low first.

Millard ...

I could help fund your next toy if you could knock up some bar risers for a DRZ like those on your gs12 cheaper than I can get-em from the US?

Mike.

p.s. I have uploaded a load more pics for an extension to the trail we did last wednesday if you're up for it this week.

Mike, I thought I'd replied to this but can't find it, it's me CRS kicking in again.

It wouldn't be economically viable judging by the time it's taking me to complete mine.
I'm still fiddling around with the updated version, should be finished tomorrow somtime, so ready for Wednesday evening's run.

millard

hi i had a kawasaki klr 600 trail bike and it was light and very tall so some one of your height would have no problems with it i sold it for £600 in mint condition so for your budget you will get a nice klr or dr600

cheers geo

My 02 DRZ will be for sale at £1,500 shortly (just getting a tank for it). It is loaded, £600+ of extras. :eek:

hi i had a kawasaki klr 600 trail bike and it was light and very tall so some one of your height would have no problems with it i sold it for £600 in mint condition so for your budget you will get a nice klr or dr600

cheers geo

Geo
I was "watching" a KLR650 on ebay which went yesterday for £950.
What's the difference wi the KLR and KLX ? was the KLR just the official version we got in this country? I know my KLX was grey import and never saw many of them about.

Snoopy, thanks, but it's too much over my budget.

I'm now thinking of a lighter dirt bike than the GS for when I decide to take some more challenging tracks.

Hi.
A quick 2 pence worth from me if you don't mind....
Military MT350/500, heavy, hard to start if not electric start(left hand kick), parts aren't the easiest to obtain.
DR350, cheap robust, can be made tall by adding preload, though fork rake is lost which will speed steering up. Later models have electric start.
DRZ400, about £1400 to £1750 gets you an 'S' model with full road kit. Quite a tall bike and electric start.
KLX650, a nice bike but not very popular. Lighter than the KLR and looks great too.
XR600. The 600 is getting old now, but some tidy examples do appear from time to time. No electric start.

At a grand, be carefull as you could end up having to spend another couple of hundred getting it legal/roadworthy/trailworthy, if you know what I mean.
If it were me, well the DRZ'S' would be the better choice, say at £1500 you have a real useable robust machine.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Timpo.

If you want the bike primarily for trail riding then I would recommend a 250 - 400 trail bikes with electric start bikes such as TTR,DR,DRZ.
Other kick start bikes such as XRs and KLX are fine but you are likely to stall a lot to begin with and kick starting a bike when you are off balance can be tiring.
If you want to do the more difficult trails, I would avoid the 600 - 650 bikes until you gain experience because their weight and power will become very tiring even for some one as tall as you. You really do not need a lot of power to have fun.
I trail ride a '94 Honda CRM 250 which I think is a great bike despite others saying it stinks (its a 2 stroke).
Whatever you choose make sure you check the bearings because the wheel and suspension bearings wear out very quickly but are generally cheap and easy to replace.
:beerjug:

And those Norton bits?

I recently sold a pretty decent XLR250 for £700 - they seem to appear on ebay now and again at about that figure. It was seriously capable off road and would happily go places you would never dream of trying to take a 500+ trailie. Easier to lift out of bogs, too :D I'm over 6 foot with long legs and found it fine for room on board.

What old Norton spares have you go then, eh? I could use a complete set of 'wide' 38/39 type cams, pinions, half time pinion and flat foot followers :(

For a grand

You can get a late 90's Honda XR250 or maybe a 400...a 650 may cost you more...

These bikes are bulletproof, will go anywhere and great fun.

If you save up a few more pennies in future, there's a mirriad of performance parts available (although I'm still waiting for my new Supertrapp to arrive from USA ebayer...what is it with these guys....this is the second one who's sold item without having it in stock!!!).

There's a bunch of free performance mods that can be made too, although, these could well have already been carried out...

The bike is tall (although an inch lower than my KX) and well comfy...I thoroughly recommend one of these for the budget biker:bounce1

I recently sold a pretty decent XLR250 for £700 - they seem to appear on ebay now and again at about that figure. It was seriously capable off road and would happily go places you would never dream of trying to take a 500+ trailie. Easier to lift out of bogs, too :D I'm over 6 foot with long legs and found it fine for room on board.

What old Norton spares have you go then, eh? I could use a complete set of 'wide' 38/39 type cams, pinions, half time pinion and flat foot followers :(

Thanks again fellas for your suggestions.
After tonights ride with Mike (Dolly Rocket)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1414769&posted=1#post1414769

I'm even more determined to get something a bit lighter than the GS for green laning. Impressed though I am with it's off road and all round capabilities, it's a big heavy f*cker to pick up.

Graham
My Norton stuff's a wee bit later, mostly 1947 onward singles stuff and a wideline featherbed frame which I had earmarked for a big bore ES2 project. Cams - but later than you need, cases, barrels, head, mags, dynamos, and I'm think about selling off a 9" 4LS Grimeca I had laced to a flanged alloy with st/st spokes for that project.
Anything there that interests you let me know and I'll send pics.
cheers
Millard

Thanks Millard, but you're right - that's too new for me.

Er, unless there's a conical manx front hub amongst that lot? :eek:

Then again, if there was I probably couldn't afford it at the moment.

CRM's or TTR's should be in that price range. Both great little bikes with no major issues.

At your height an XR 250/400 or CRM will probably be too small, consider an older Honda Xr600 aircooled or even better a grey import aircooled XR650 L (it's the electric start one they made for the US with a 36" seat height).

The TTR should be OK, any bike is going to be 'small' at that height!!

I've also sent you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom