which maps for picos and pyrannees

issy

Would save me a fortune possibly if somebody could recommend which maps (numbers?) (Michelin highly recommended but they do loooads and I'm lost already)... we're off end July - ferry to Bilbao the PIcos to Pyrannees and then French / Swiss Jura and back up to France (maybe via boring northern Germany - don;t ask!). 4-5 weeks duration -

we're also looking for horse riding on the way - few days or 5 day treks - ideally without guides - anybody got any links gratefully received. Basically we're working route around what happens with the horse riding.

Going on the 1100GS and taking tent and no clothes it seems according to his instructions!! Tsch!

So - any clues regarding maps etc gratefully received. Not going off-road (I hope!) but would like the nice routes obviously. Have printed many threads off ready to short-list best places but lot the thread which recomended the Michelin map numbers! Have European Tomtom and a cute Asus eeepc so really only need the Picos and Pyrannees areas south and north I guess in detail.

Diolch!:thumb

It's so easy.

Go into any decent sized book shop, selling maps.

Look at the maps' scales. Find the one that suites you. The same maps will, on the reverse (if they are Michelin) show you the map numbers for each area. Buy or order them.

Michelin maps

Michelin map for the Picos is 572.

Then working east - Bilbao - is 573.

Pyrenees is 574.

It's so easy.

Go into any decent sized book shop, selling maps.

Look at the maps' scales. Find the one that suites you. The same maps will, on the reverse (if they are Michelin) show you the map numbers for each area. Buy or order them.

only shops we have sell maps for Snowdonia! They're closing the main bookshop in Bangor now as well... anyhow if I go to a shop not knowing what to buy I'll end up buying the whole lot.

Just get the Michelin National Map 734 - covers all the pyrennes up into France, and all the Picos, plus anywhere else in Spain you may want to visit. Plenty of detail and shows all the scenic routes. It has the smallest roads that I travelled on in the Picos and the Pyreness - if its not shown on that map then its probably an off road track of some kind.

I also took Michelin regional map 572 for the Picos but don't think it showed me anything important that wasnt on the National map, thpough it is obviously bigger and more detailed.

Thanks one and all! :)

I am in process of buying these as I am not too convinced with our tomtom nor MemoryMap maps of Pyrannees! Always fallback on simple map I have learnt.

Only 6 weeks and a bit now! Will be taking camera, laptop, gps dongle, 3g usb dongle, usb hd, gps receiver and a compass ;) Hoping to write up a diary each day when testing red wine - I'll be on back of bike doing all this at the time ;)

If you want real detail (ie tracks etc) the I use the Michelin 'Local' series.
These are 1/150 000 and go into great detail.

I only have the French Pyrenees but assume they do them for Spain as well :nenau

Going E to W you would need 342, 343 and 344.

Linky and example of detail level below.

Have a good trip - you'll love the Pyrenees :thumb2

Andres

Attachments

• michelinyellowsam.jpg
    michelinyellowsam.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 187

Back
Top Bottom