Too lazy to plan myself...

Doofus

Reaction score
Hi

I am hoping to head off for a bike tour, starting in South UK, and I'd like to go over the alps, perhaps turning-around in Geneva. I will only have a week, possibly a day ot two more sometime in the next month or so. I could leave from Dover or Portsmouth.

Is there "an obvious" route to take for the best roads (for me that means best for scenery rather than most challenging off-road mountain climbs).

Is there a good web resource or book?

Sorry to appear lazy, but my experience from planning routes from maps myself is I end up on mixture of motorways through industrial estates and town centres.

cheers
Darren

I'm sure someone from Tower Hamlets will be along soon to sort you out!

Hi Darren

I'm assuming from your pass that you haven't ridden in the Alps before. Apologies if this isn't the case.

We did a week in the Alps last year. Managed to get in half of the Route des Grandes Alpes LINK a quick blip through the Dolomites, teh Stelvio pass in Italy and the Grossglockner pass in Austria LINK.

It was a long week, and required the first and last days to be long motorway days. Rough itinerary was: day one, Calais to Grenoble; day two, Grenoble to Sospel (Route des Greandes Alpes); day three, Sospel to Livigno; day four, Livigno to Lienz (Stelvio and Dolomites); day five, Lienz to Kaprun (Grossglockner); day six, Kaprun to Miltenburg; day seven, Miltenburg to Calais.

Different people will prefer different roads and daily mileages, but this was at the more tiring end of fulfilling! Grossglockner road is particularly spectacular, though.

A few years ago we had a lower mileage six day tour that centred on Andermatt in Switzerland. Several big passes nearby, and a great introduction to riding. I'd recommend that for a first trip.

TO maximise the time in the Alps, I'd tend to get the miles in on the first day, maybe heading for Besancon. From Besancon to Geneva on non-toll roads is good riding, and you can practice passes in the Jura mountians.

From Geneva towards Andermatt gives you a choice of roads, and you can't really avoid the mildly boring slog up through/past Sion, but after that things really improve.

If you don't want to go so far but want to aim for Geneva, you could ride down through the Vosges Mts in France, perhaps taking the Route des Cretes, or back through the Black Forest in Germany, which is full of lovely roads and scenery.

For the Alps, a really good site is THIS ONE. Also covers the Vosges a little bit.

Failing all the above, buy Michelin maps and spend as much time as possible on the green-line roads. Bear in mind that in the Alps the weather will be changeable whatever time of year you go.

Hi

I am hoping to head off for a bike tour, starting in South UK, and I'd like to go over the alps, perhaps turning-around in Geneva. I will only have a week, possibly a day ot two more sometime in the next month or so. I could leave from Dover or Portsmouth.

Is there "an obvious" route to take for the best roads (for me that means best for scenery rather than most challenging off-road mountain climbs).

Is there a good web resource or book?

Sorry to appear lazy, but my experience from planning routes from maps myself is I end up on mixture of motorways through industrial estates and town centres.

cheers
Darren

Honesty (and paying the site subscription) is the best policy...one out of two ain't bad...and it's Sunday.

Right here you go:

Arm your self with two maps (see the sticky thread). http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136891 Shenzi, in post #2, has it spot on!

For the east of France I always start from Dover, not least because I live in London.

Take an earlyish train or ferry. The hour time difference lost makes a big difference and you have a long way to go.

You will not average over 40 mph on the country roads nor much over 60 mph on the motorways.

Here's a very easy way, there are better, but by looking at the maps you will work them out, I promise.

Take your Michelin 726 map (available at all good bookshops or online). As the sticky said, it doesn't have all the routes but its stripped out style helps to give an idea of the rough distances and directions in a very large country, like France.

Take the motorway to Cambrai or St. Quentin.

Pick up the D1 south, Soissons, Chateau-Thierry, Montmirail, Sezanne, Troyes.

At Troyes pick up the green Bis holiday route south.

Chatillon, Montbard, Saulieu. You are now about halfway down France.

Next, Autun.

Now you have a big choice, the classic fork in the track.

Turning left, will keep you on a Bis route, via Tournos, Macon. At Macon, turn left, due east, to Geneva. Or pick up the D2 / N904 / D904 / D992 (all again a Bis route) into Geneva.

Turning right, will take you on a big sweep south, then north east. Roanne, St. Etienne, east, across the Rhone valley. Now it gets vey jumbled up as the roads get squashed between the Rhone and the start of the Alps. In essence you want to try to head, on a diagonal north east, roughly on the line, Chambery, Aix-les-Bains, Annecy, Geneva.

I have got other routes that will take you further east before Troyes. One in essence is: St Quentin, Vervins, Rethel, Vouziers, St Menehold, Bar-le-Duc,
Chaumont, Chatillon-s-S, Montbard, then as above. These roads are not on the big 726 map but can be seen on the smaller scale map book...you will buy it, won't you? It's only about £12 for the whole of France and will last for a long time.

There, that didn't take more than 20 minutes....

I do not know how fast (or how far in a day) you ride but Geneva, via a load of non-motorway roads is, to put it mildly, a reasonably long way. Allow yourself two full days and two full days back. To do the western Alps properly, you need at least 10 days away, giving you the four days (non-motorway) journey time Calis / Alps / Calais and a day (or maybe two) off the bike.

I myself cannot see anything magical about Geneva. Have a look instead at Annecy, perhaps?

PM me if you are stuck.

Let us know what you decide on.

Ooops, forgot the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Alps-Corsica/dp/1884313329

By far the best. I, like a twit, let someone borrow mine....

PS. My routes have taken out vast chunks of motorways, which you wanted to avoid. The downside is that you lose a lot of time, particularly if you want to maximise your days in the Alps. It's much as Robin said, motorways are fast (boring) but get you to where you want to be... I do the D roads as I know I can crack on and keep the average speeds well up. Plus, to a degree, I know where I am going. I am happy to skip or just grab a quick lunch and don't smoke, which helps, sometimes.

PPS The big slower-downer, in my humble, is dehydration. My best investment* has been a Camelback. I lengthened the tube and can run it from the rear seat, under the edge of my seat (1200GSA) and up so that it rests in the left hand guard, wedged between the mirror stem and the fog light switch. Perfect. Helps though if you have the excellent Shoei flip front!

PPPS There is no off-road or goat track in any of the routes suggested.

PPPPS Please do not ask what the weather will be like. It was duff here yesterday, very nice today. It has been raining solidly, for a week, in Provence....Prepare for the worst, expect the best and look at the weather forecast - on a day to day basis - while you are away.

*Not counting the Sargent seat.

wow - fantastic and fast response! Thanks lads, exactly what I needed. I will need to take some time out with my atlas to plot the suggested routes, and that book couldn't be more apt!

I'll let you know what I decide, but to be frank, with expeience-based recommedations like that I am hardly going to go off and do something completely different so I guess I will be seeing how I can fit the recommedations to my schedule.

cheers again
Darren

Honesty (and paying the site subscription) is the best policy...one out of two ain't bad...and it's Sunday.

Right here you go:......... .

1 hour 44 mins - now how's that for service!

Bit of a cheeky reply, but hey, you have to take any opportunity you can get. :augie

www.bikersoracle.com/tours

We happen to haev a tour going to Switzerland - Grindelwald to be precise, in July that could be just what you're looking for. ;):thumb

wow - fantastic and fast response! Thanks lads, exactly what I needed. I will need to take some time out with my atlas to plot the suggested routes, and that book couldn't be more apt!

I'll let you know what I decide, but to be frank, with expeience-based recommedations like that I am hardly going to go off and do something completely different so I guess I will be seeing how I can fit the recommedations to my schedule.

cheers again
Darren

Seriously, if you want to maximise your time in the Alps (and with just about a week, to play with) there is no point in wasting time.

London to, say, Annecy, is definitely doable in two days, using all of 'non-motorway' roads I mentioned but you will need to crack on.....That being said, there are some great roads to ride on the way down. It's hard to beat France.

Good luck and good hol's. :thumb2

routes

We just buy Michelin maps and follow the roads marked with green lines as scenic routes. Never really lets you down! Minimal planning required.
cheers
Danny

Back
Top Bottom