Wobbly Bit

BEEMERBOY

Have done a really enjoyable first 400 mls on my new Bumblebee and expect to do another 200 next weekend but what were BMW thinking of when they were deciding on a mount for the front brake fluid reservoir !
When your trundelling along at a happy speed you can't but notice that bloomin bottle wobbling away .
Have had a look at similar braking systems and have noticed on the KTM 990 Super Duke a possible answer .
I will attempt to mount there bottle on my bike and hopefully end up with a more secure looking mount for the reservoir .
By the way I am a qualified motor engineer so if it works out I will stick some pictures on the site .
Will take a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive so a little patience is in order here .
If any of you have other ideas I would be interested .:eek

Hi Terry , sorry for my ignorance but who is Micky and how do I access his information ?

Have done a really enjoyable first 400 mls on my new Bumblebee and expect to do another 200 next weekend but what were BMW thinking of when they were deciding on a mount for the front brake fluid reservoir !
When your trundelling along at a happy speed you can't but notice that bloomin bottle wobbling away .
Have had a look at similar braking systems and have noticed on the KTM 990 Super Duke a possible answer .
I will attempt to mount there bottle on my bike and hopefully end up with a more secure looking mount for the reservoir .
By the way I am a qualified motor engineer so if it works out I will stick some pictures on the site .
Will take a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive so a little patience is in order here .
If any of you have other ideas I would be interested .:eek

When I first got my bike (650) I was on the lookout for one bobbly brake reservoir. Never noticed it. I'd have really look to see it bobbing along but then my eyes would be off the road and that is not good, expecially with the idiot drivers around here. I suspect due to the larger front wheel of the 800 and longer front fork, the handlebar and the reservoir sits higher, more in the line of sight of the riders eyes. I was reading somewhere that BMW did it this way to avoid micro bubbles forming in the system (aka forming air in the brake system) because of a certain frequency of vibration from the twin engine. I wasn't convinced and had a look at the other siblings namely the F800S/ST. Lo and behold, their brake reservoirs are similarly bobbly mounted (2 rubber mounts instead of one but it still shakes) I guess their's is not so apparent as their handlebars are mounted so much lower and out of the line of sight. What I am really saying is that if the bubbles forming bit is true, I would be hesitant to fiddle around with the most important bit of the bike.

:natterThanks guys ,have ordered the KTM bits at only £ 25 but will have a word about these micro bubbles with my local dealer.
If these bubbles only occur in the reservoir then surely the bubbles will rise and not be a problem as the most important few cc's of fluid will be in the master cylinder which is mounted solidly to the bars !
Will let you know what the BM boys have to say .:thumb2

PS. check out my other post in Open Invite Trips ( charity run )

Looks much better and wobbles less with one of these TT bits....

Fitted one to my bike last weekend and well chuffed - despite the £30+ cost!

Attachments

• TAT_0480408B.jpg
    TAT_0480408B.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 238

Back
Top Bottom