Road Trip USA

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Being made redundant in November, splitting up with my fiancee and partner of 5 years & her son, being forced to put my house on the market and now failing to get an ace job because the guy who was going to give it to me resigned Christmas week and the company are now putting their recruitment "on hold" for a couple of months has made me rethink life a bit.

Seize the day - somebody once said.

So f***k it. I have always wanted to ride in the USA and visit the biggest hole on earth the Grand Canyon. Roam along the PCH, re-visit San Francisco and Yosemite NP which i saw when I was a kid. Hell why not ride coast to coast? Should I do it?

My luck picks up this week. A very good friend of mine is relocating to Seattle in mid to late March. I can put my bike in his container and in return help him and his family settle in , do some decorating, hang a few curtain poles etc. Its a big house with a separate annexe. " Stay for a couple of months, go touring, use our place as a base" - He says.

So today i am off to buy some maps and " Jupiters Travels".

Any quick tips from anyone on insuring my bike whilst over there. If I stay for a while will I have to re-register it or tax it? And which city would be the best to get it shipped back from + rough cost.

I'm with Carole Nash at the moment but they were dearer than BMW when i checked at the show. I'll speak to CN first about insurance whilst in transit and in the US etc.

Definitely more exciting than sitting at home generally pissed off with the world.

Mike O what's the deal with your US adventure??? Where are you going?

Ian

Wilanias Willhelmson the shipping company(my Bosses) have a terminal in Tacoma ,Wash. they ship bikes from that location.Seattle is awesome from your post you have a pilots license so you will enjoy the Aircraft museum at Boing field which lies beside i-5 just south of Seattle well worth a visit.Not many people get the chance of a trip of a lifetime go for it.check out this website which in my mind is the best biking website on the planet
loadza routes loadza pictures

www.pashnit.com
you still here, what ya waiting for. lol

Ian,

too much detail to put into one post :D - try going to Horizons Unlimited - by far the best website and resource for planning your trip.

Some stumbling blocks -

You'll only get a 6 month visa (I don't know how long you're planning to be there for - if you manage to get a longer visa than this I'd be very interested to hear how).

You will find great difficulty insuring a UK bike to be ridden by a UK licence holder in the USA. Vehicle insurance is far more complicated than here - you have to choose how much liability insurance, uninsured driver cover etc etc. Effectively there are only 2 companies that will insure you, both of which are linked at the HU website. You can only buy cover lasting 6 months (although this is renewable). To give you a taste, my insurance is costing about $750 for my Adv for 6 months - and that's not quite comprehensive (if I jettison the bike on a bend with no-one else involved I'm not covered for the damage to the bike, for instance) and values the bike at £5k.......

As for my itinery, I'm going to be all over the place, like a mad woman's poo, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that we may get to meet. Sponsor the forum, you tight git, and we'll stay in touch by PM :D

Good luck!

Mike:)

Thanks to both of you for the advice so far , it gives me something to look at. " Jupiters Travels" is now on back order and I have a couple of US road atlases waiting for collection tomorrow.

Mike O said:

Sponsor the forum, you tight git, and we'll stay in touch by PM :D

Good luck!

Oi, less of the tight git Mike. I am deeply offended. I twice mailed the administrator much earlier this year regarding sponsorship and received no reply. Maybe I should try again now there is a link. Discount for the unemployed??

Re: Re: When?

Mike O said:
Bike arrives in Miami on the 25th January - I'll be flying in shortly afterwards....

if you are still in the area Daytona 200 is in early march!!

what kind on travel plan to Seattle do you have??

Bart

Hi Bart,

My house is for sale at the moment, the market is picking up and I hope to find a buyer soon, Don't want to leave UK until house is sold as my fiance is living here essentially rent free and there is no massive incentive for her to sell house if I move out.

My mate should be moving in mid to late march and i aim to arrive around the same time. Spend 3 to 4 weeks in Seattle and visiting the nearby NPs , a bit of BC etc and then 4 to 5 weeks ( or maybe longer) travelling the Canyonlands. Route to be decided but I want to vist;

Anywhere interesting in Oregon, San Francisco, Yosemite NP, LA , Phoenix, San Antonio (maybe), Vegas, Grand Canyon NP, Bryce Canyon NP , Zion NP, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone NP, Salt Lake City and then North West back to Seattle.

Would be interested in any local events during my stay ( April/May/Early June) or any GSer meets. May have to leave a few posts and Adventure Rider. Can you recommmend any other US/West Coast websites?

Ian

Thanks to Mike

Mike O said:
Ian,

too much detail to put into one post :D - try going to Horizons Unlimited - by far the best website and resource for planning your trip.
Good luck!

Mike just wanted to say thanks for the link. I went away for a week shortly after my last post and didnt get a chance to get a good look at the HU site. Its ace. Great advice , covers everything and some great stories/piccys to get you in the mood. Brilliant!!

Thanks again

Ian

Back
Top Bottom