Munich to Lisbon in October

jnrobert

Reaction score
I might be visiting Portugal in mid-October and was considering flying into Munich and renting a bike and riding to Lisbon etc.,

My questions for those in the know, is that too late in the season to be riding the area? I imagine the Iberian leg would be okay with the possible exception of the Pyrenees, but what about the Alps that time of the year?

I haven't decided on a route yet but I'd like to cut through Switzerland across France to Andorra and then through the Pyrenees heading due West and staying in Northern Spain (to avoid the plain :D ) and then turn South once I got to the Atlantic.

My main concern is Germany, France and the two Mountain regions, I would guess.

I might be visiting Portugal in mid-October and was considering flying into Munich and renting a bike and riding to Lisbon etc.,

My questions for those in the know, is that too late in the season to be riding the area? I imagine the Iberian leg would be okay with the possible exception of the Pyrenees, but what about the Alps that time of the year?

I haven't decided on a route yet but I'd like to cut through Switzerland across France to Andorra and then through the Pyrenees heading due West and staying in Northern Spain (to avoid the plain :D ) and then turn South once I got to the Atlantic.

My main concern is Germany, France and the two Mountain regions, I would guess.

Hi,
Poor you, posted here an no feedback. You msut have forgoton by now.
I can only say that the Alpes in October may not be an easy ride. The Alpes are great but I suggest you go over there next year to give it a good look.

Apart from that, I would say you can take the risk of crossing Germany and France in October.
Cheers

How long have you got?

It's a long way - 2500km, do you need to return the bike to Munchen?
I would take a good 4 or 5 days for each way, more if you want to do some twisies.

You cannot be sure either the Alpes or the Pyrenees would be free of snow that time of year. South of France and plain Spain would be fine.

You could hire Barcelona and have a lovely ride around Spain to get to Lisbon.

Simon

p.s. the Portugese drivers are barking - worst I have come across, I mean down town Mumbai bad!

p.s. the Portugese drivers are barking - worst I have come across, I mean down town Mumbai bad!

Humm, I guess you never drove in Italy...

JNRobert, anything you need regarding Portugal, please gimme a buzz.

Cheers!

MAC

Humm, I guess you never drove in Italy...

JNRobert, anything you need regarding Portugal, please gimme a buzz.

Cheers!

MAC

Hi Naza, I just spotted this post. Sorry this is off topic but I am in Obidos. Maybe a ride out is in order :beerjug:

BingBong portugal

Hi BingBong!

You are in Obidos. Great!
Are you Portuguese or just living here?

I live in Foz do Arelho, which is as you know about 12km away from Obidos! lol We're neighbors.

Send me a PM so I can give you my phone number, we'll definitely go for a ride!

There are several events coming soon (September) that you might be interested to come along (Touratech Portugal event, EBMW_08 in Sierra Nevada, Spain)

Take Care!

MAC

Hey Naza,
I need to renew my subscription to access the pm option. I am an expat that has struck gold and intend to keep it a secret. I'll send a pm soon. The TT event sounds like my kind of thing but might be expensive!!
PM comming soon..................

contacts

BingBong, no worries about the PM, here is my e-mail

miguel@azevedoecastro.eu

Mail me and we'll xtchange, contacts

The touratech event seems to be free. (5,6,7 september) We just need to pay the camping. (7.60€/day - adult/tent/bike)

This is the campsite: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=pt-PT&geocode=&q=Clube+N%C3%A1utico+de+Avis&sll=39.057051,-7.89093&sspn=0.385497,0.599442&ie=UTF8&ll=39.058667,-7.911154&spn=0.006023,0.009366&z=17&iwloc=C

They have more info in their homepage (in Portuguese)

http://www.touratechportugal.com/

"A Touratech Portugal irá realizar nos dias 5/6/7 de Setembro de 2008, o seu primeiro TRAVEL EVENT no Clube Náutico de Avis, junto ao Parque de Campismo do Maranhão."

Hope this helps. I'm not sure how keen is your Portuguese. ;)

Cheers!

MAC

Hope this helps. I'm not sure how keen is your Portuguese. ;)

Bom dia, e bao tarde e bom noite :rolleyes:
Obrigado
:aidan
:mmmm

soryy I promise to try harder :hide

Bom dia, e bao tarde e bom noite :rolleyes:
Obrigado
:aidan
:mmmm

soryy I promise to try harder :hide
I really don’t understand what the difficulty is. Portuguese babies start doing it when they are 1 year old! Lol :)

Anyway, my GSA rides almost everyday on my way to work in Caldas, do you ride often or just occasionally? (2 days ago spotted a grey 1200GSA exiting the A8 highway towards Óbidos/dagorda)

Usually the blokes join for a chat and a ride every Sunday morning in a bar at the lagoon waterfront. No confusion with the R’s (as in Racing) guys further ahead near the roundabout, at the same waterfront.

Occasionally I ride to the BMW MCPortugal, weekly meeting, in S. Pedro de Moel, which is about 50km further north in the sea coast, It’s a good way to exchange experiences with other GSriders.

At the present I ride a 1200GSA ´08 model, which is my third GS by now.
Though I don’t run away from some dirt, Off-road is not really my main issue. Honestly I prefer curly mountain roads, which usually take you to some very nice places.
Some weekend trips to “the deep Portugal” enjoying the home-made foods (and wines :) ), and local hospitality, or some holyday abroad, cruising Europe with the wife.
If “we” hadn’t got pregnant we would have cruised to the UK this August. I had planned a very relaxed “Land’s end to John O’Groats, visiting all the interesting places we could along the way. Next year maybe :)

This has been a bit off-topic, sorry for that :)

Cheers!

MAC

you may take an autozug - train where you travel with your bike, you sleep in a cabin, your bike on a platform, from Munich to Narbonne/S.France, Spanish border/ if you see the weather is not nice. The obvious advantage is time - train keeps carrying you at night. The next morning you are in the French sun. :)

Back
Top Bottom