Fuel Warning Light staying OFF

AxeGrinder

Reaction score
During my commute this morning, the DAK kept dying at idle...was worried, 'till I checked out the trip meter...

Figured it was just low on fuel, so filled up, and hey presto, no more probs...

Funny thing is the warning light didn't light up...any one got any ideas...perhaps it's just a wire come loose after the trails (and a couple of offs) it was subjected to last weekend?

Not been able to check it yet (or clean the bike) due to earning lots of free pints at local boozer :thumb:beerjug: and my propper work commitmets :confused:

The fuel low light is one of the warning lights that lights when I turn the ignition on, on my 06 F650. Go's out if there's enough fuel in the tank.

How many litres did you put in to fill it?

Lost the receipt, but remember the cost...I reckon it was 12-13L

Just checked....light comes on with ignition, and goes out, as it should:confused:...am thinking a new fuel filter is first item to try.

Since filling, I've had no more probs with motor cutting out at idle...I guess I'll just have to wait n see what happens in 180 miles time or so...shouldn't take too long, as I'm off heading out on the bike to site visits around Cheshire in about 10 minutes :bounce1

Staying home this weekend, so will have some time to go over the bike...I may even clean it, although I love the DIRTY look:clap

I ran my bike out of fuel once with the fuel warning light not working (I have a lot of problems with warning lights). Since I was touring at the time I called in to the nearest BMW dealer and explained it to them. They said they'd had a similar problem of a light that didn't go out and traced it back to the sender unit in the tank. As I recall (it was about a year ago!) they said the fuel level sensor was part of the pump unit and hence pricey - I ran away and just kept filling up every 100 miles or so.

However I do have the bike booked in for the fault to be examined (hopefully under the extended warranty) on Monday - I shall report any findings.

By the way, on my bike the fuel level light does not light when turning the bike on. And when I ran out of fuel it was a case of riding along happily and then engine lost power completely and I had to stop, wouldn't restart at all - no coughs or splutters.

During my commute this morning, the DAK kept dying at idle...
Accidently starting the bike with the throttle opened can do this - it upsets the throttle position sensor. Cure is to switch off and then restart on closed throttle.

I've run my GS dry once (don't ask) at 265 miles.

Tank took 17.31 liters to fill.

OK...after a hard day "working" which entailed around 160 miles around Wirral and Cheshire :thumb2 plus the 33 miles I put on yesterday (193 miles total), after refueling, my fuel light came on at some time (it was on when I put the bike in the garage....)

Still absolutely no problems with idle, since filling her up yesterday morning...

Sort of gets stranger and stranger :confused: Perhaps the sender unit had a bit of crap on it or something yesterday...

Ah well...cleanin the bike tomorrow, so will be giving it a good look over...I've got a workshop manual now too, so I may have a clue!

Cheers guys, and keep me posted :thumb2

IMeantToDoThat, if the light isn't coming on with the ignition the bulb may have blown. I've got two bulbs on the dash go out, simply haven't got around to raving the front end apart to replace them.

You lot seem to get a fair old distance before the light comes on, i'm getting 140 odd miles and around 12 litres. Might have to take the pump out and move the lever sensor. Ought to be fun, not :D

140 miles, must be thrashing the poor beast :( Getting 190 to the light on my mainly motoway commute and aiming to cruise around 5000 rpm :)

nope, no thrashing. that's usually around town, bimbling along at around 3-4k. reckon the reserve switch is to high because theres always around 5 liters in the tank when i fill up :nenau Have had 165 out of it before the light.

bit of a tech day at the weekend then :D

My fuel light is now working again (it never came on - see earlier post). Turns out the fault was with the combi-instrument-speedo-rev-counter-etc.. The level switch in the tank is just a switch and it's the electronics in the speedo/rev-counter that actually controls the light.
As far as I can work out the electronics turn the light on when first switching on (to check the bulb) and, when the level switch is closed for approx. 16 seconds continuously, turns the lamp on and latches it on until the ignition is cycled.
All this lot means that I've got to make another circuit to control the light since I remove the (delicate looking) speedo/rev-counter when going off-road (I replace it with an IMO). I've already made a circuit to sort out the ABS lamp but this one's going to be more complicated...

Back
Top Bottom