PDA WTF

adamski49

Reaction score
Can someone explain in simple terms the pros and cons of the various 'extras' you get on PDA's. I'm looking at getting one primarily for site use with PocketCAD and so it has to be Pocket 2003 OS as opposed to Palm (I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about).

I may as well utilise the email and internet options as well and am also considering adding GPS such as Tom Tom.

What are the following and how/where do I use them?

1. Bluetooth - I don't have bluetooth on the PC but assume this isn't important as I'll use a USB cradle. Do I need a bluetooth mobile phone to get email via GPRS? Can I use it abroad?

2.WLAN 802.11 (or whatever it is) - Again I don't have a wireless network at home (gone down the CAT5 route). How / where would I connect or is this mainly a work thing where you'd set it up to suit your company WLAN?

3. Infra ref (Irfa?) - My phone has IR, could I use this to get email etc?

I keep reading about public places where you can connect. I assume airports, stations and the like but which of the above does it use to connect?

I'm initially looking at the DEll Axim5 with a 400MHz processor and 256Mb SD card with the Tom Tom navigator card included. Is this any good or would I be better off looking at the iPaq?

I was also looking at the Garmin iQue but this runs Palm and I don't suppose you can change the OS on a PDA? The weak dollar makes a US import look like good value and I could have unlocked my City Select for a second unit to get around the lack of European mapping.

TIA for any answers / info.

Adam :beerjug:

Adam,

1. Bluetooth. Replaces the wires between the PDA and another Bluetooth enabled device. For example to link up to a GPRS enabled phone or a GPS mouse. Can work one minute but not the next. Your mileage will vary, as they say. Range of a few metres.

2. WLAN 802.11. The most common variety of wireless networking to allow web, email etc. Used predominitately in businesses and certain public areas like airport lounges, posh coffee shops and so on though rare outside of the US. Its expensive for the home user.

3. IR. Will allow you to connect to your phone for GPRS, update contacts etc. Line of sight so units must point directly to one another.

I dont know about that particular model, but caution would suggest going with the iPaq as it is a well established brand and would prove the most compatible and supported amongst third parties.

You cannot swap Palm OS for PocketPC or VV. You can upgrade PocketPC2002 to 2003 though for example.

HTH Mike.

Cheers Mike

Would I be right in thinking that IR is slower than bluetooth so I would be better off upgrading to a bluetooth mobile phone next time for the most benefit of GPRS?

I take on board your comments regarding the iPaq. Time to look around.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy from the US providing the price is right (taking into account import duty and VAT)?

Thanks again

Adam

Bluetooth is definetely the way forward and is much faster than IR. But in my experience is still kinda flaky.

No problem buying from the US, just change the charger as you know. Compaq kit is well supported and can be found in Dixons, PCWorld etc.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom