Need an online test for a virus/worm

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
Hi Boys and Girls,

I have an up to date Norton Antivirus 2003. Yes I know I could get 2004.
Still I've noticed the last few days that when connected to the Broadband my PC office applications slow down dramaticaly. I have updated the Norton with Liveupdate but it finds no problem. I am convinced however that I do have a problem. As if I reboot the PC the same application will run 4 times quicker, if I don't reconnect to the net. So does anybody know a safe website that I can run a test from.

By the way I also use Sygate Firewall, and have done so for the last year without problems.
Windows XP pro with Office XP 2002, Compaq AMD2200 with 512Ram

It might be too late but have you done the microsoft updates for both XP and Office XP?

If you boot from the CD and run virus checker from there you stand a btter chance of tracking down any virus you may have.

Don't McAfee have an online virus checker?

Adam

I noticed something like this, have Norton 2003, due to renew in Feb, but have Win 98 - same prob maybe?

Gibson Research

Steve Gibson's site "Shields Up" here , will tell you just about everything you didn't really want to know about how much your connection is leaking.

Excellent service and it's free. Not too many axes ground on the advertising front either except a few of his disc testing progs.

He's been polishing this site night and day since 1994 at least.

stevehomeoffice.jpg

So far so good, I downloaded a couple of utilities to find trojans (none found) and to clean up the registry (loads)
The PC now runs quicker again, but I have one small problem which leads me to believe maybe I still have a problem somewhere, the PC does not shutdown automaticaly like it used to. I have to physicaly hold the button for ten seconds till it switches off. Any Ideas please?

usual way to troubleshoot this prob is to use task manager (cont+alt+del) to manually shut down running processes one at a time before shutting down your pc.
when it shuts down nicely, you know which prog was shut down manually by yourself, so must be the culprit.

however, after rummaging through the registry as you have done it might not be a simple program conflict as is often the case. if so, system restore to a time before any of the problems would be my course of action.

Back
Top Bottom