The Somme

Trippy

The Albert Museum and Thiepval, worth a visit?

Going over to Cherbourg and visiting -

St Mere Eglise - Pont du hoc - Bayeux Cemetery - Arromache - Pegasus Bridge.

Wondering if the Albert Museum is worth a visit.

I find the 1st world war history a bit more interesting for some reason.

Thiepval Memorial and visitor centre are worth visiting. You need to check if the Memorial is open, as alot of renovation work is being carried out. It was closed last month. Hav'nt been to the Albert museum.

(Will be doing the Normandy beaches next weekend. While you are at Pont du Hoc, go up the Road to Grand Camp Maisey, and see the battery at Peruques that was uncovered 2 years ago. Also go to the Battery at Longues-sur-Mer, just up the road from Arromanches. It is the only one still with the guns in the casements.).

Steve

Albert museum is OK but not as good as 'In Flanders Fields' in Ypres (Leper).

There is a good visitors centre at the Newfouldland National Park, and I think your route is taking you very close to Vimy Ridge. Both sites are run by French Canadian students, free and well worth a visit. The Vimy Ridge tour even includes the tunnels.

Obviously all IMHO. Hope this helps (I'll be there again in August!)

Mike

If you can, find a cemetry that has soldiers from your area, or relatives buried / rememebred there. That really increases the emotions.

Last time went to Tyne Cot where one of my relatives is remembered, and the time before to the Accrington Pals memorial. :rose

Tis a Grand place

You might see this Bloke hanging about at St mere D'eglise
Great museum opposite, you go through a WW2 glider :)
and FFS keep out of the Patisseries, you'll end up as fat as me !!!!

Attachments

• Hanging about.jpg
    Hanging about.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 398
  • Glider.jpg
    Glider.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 387
The Albert Museum and Thiepval, worth a visit?

Going over to Cherbourg and visiting -

St Mere Eglise - Pont du hoc - Bayeux Cemetery - Arromache - Pegasus Bridge.

Wondering if the Albert Museum is worth a visit.

I find the 1st world war history a bit more interesting for some reason.

I think the museum is pretty much the only thing worth visiting in Albert, apart from the petrol station at the north end of town near the MacDonalds.

If Thiepval is still closed then I'd suggest visiting Pozieres CWGC & Memorial, which is on the main road from Albert up to Bapaume, not far from Lochnagar Crater at La Boiselle. Otherwise Sheffield Memorial Park near Serre is well worth a visit.

Vimy Ridge & Newfoundland Park are very impressive but I didn't really take to the Canadian visitor experience.

Having recently revisited the Somme and visited Normandy I find WW1 to be of more interest to me too.

Have a great trip :thumb2

I think the museum is pretty much the only thing worth visiting in Albert, apart from the petrol station at the north end of town near the MacDonalds.

Thanks maybe I'll stick to Normandy then on is trip as Albert would be a 400 mile round trip.
I'll do that and Verdun another day.

You might see this Bloke hanging about at St mere D'eglise. Great museum opposite, you go through a WW2 glider.
For years I believed that the paratrooper on the church spire had been killed, but John Steel survived and was taken prisoner. He survived the war and was treated as a hero every time he returned to St Mere Eglise. Fascinating place, and as Proff says the museuem is well worth a visit. :thumb2

There's a charming little restaurant just across the road from the church and IIRC near the museum entrance. It is highly recommended. :thumb

There's a charming little restaurant just across the road from the church and IIRC near the museum entrance. It is highly recommended. :thumb

The one on the left of museum entrance:thumb2 and the next one down on the same side:thumb2 Both highly recommended :)

Right opposite entrance to church in St.Mere Eglise is a cafe bar, in there an old boy sitting at the end of the bar, buy him an Anis, tell him its from Bakerman and watch him come alive and start reminiscing of the good old days of Bakurrrrrrmon :D

The keep buying him Anis until he falls of his stall :p

Right opposite entrance to church in St.Mere Eglise is a cafe bar, in there an old boy sitting at the end of the bar, buy him an Anis, tell him its from Bakerman and watch him come alive and start reminiscing of the good old days of Bakurrrrrrmon :D

The keep buying him Anis until he falls of his stall :p

Will do :thumb2

I keep getting 'pulled back' to the Somme... my grandfather fought there and fortunately returned home safe. I have his medals in a special frame on the wall :)

Lots of good books on the subject, but at the moment reading probably one of the best. An in depth account, factual and easy to read...

'The Somme' by Peter Hart... so very difficult to put down...

As said, St. Mere Eglise is down in Normandy and nowhere near the Somme!

:beerjug:

If you can, find a cemetry that has soldiers from your area, or relatives buried / rememebred there. That really increases the emotions.

Last time went to Tyne Cot where one of my relatives is remembered, and the time before to the Accrington Pals memorial. :rose

I've got to agree with John on this one. Being an Accy lad, the Pals Memorial was an incredible place to visit. Not as big as Tyne Cot/Thiepval etc, but perhaps all the more moving because of it. Somewhere I'll never forget.

For years I believed that the paratrooper on the church spire had been killed, but John Steel survived and was taken prisoner. He survived the war and was treated as a hero every time he returned to St Mere Eglise. Fascinating place, and as Proff says the museuem is well worth a visit. :thumb2

I have visited here also,if i remember there is a letter from a German soldier in the museum who was involved in the fighting when the us paratroppers came down. In the letter he said that he had john steel in his sights but decided not to shoot him as he didn't pose a threat hanging from the church tower

If anyone is thinking about visiting the Somme then I can recommend the following books...

Major & Mrs Holts Battlefield Guide to the Somme linky

Gerald Gliddons Somme 1916, A Battlefield Companion linky

thwright058.jpg
Me granddad. Taken in hospital in Glasgow after being wounded in an attack on La Boiselle on 5th July 1916 with 1 BN Notts and Derby Regt. The bn took a hammering but he survived and got a MM for capturing a German machine gun and several prisoners. How he did it, I can't even begin to imagine.

For anyone wanting help with research, I'd recommend the Great War forum.

Back
Top Bottom