XChallenge modifications.

Daithi

Reaction score
04052008201.jpg

Well, the XC can do just about everything I had the courage to try, . The New "Briggs & Stratton
Slimline Exhaust
" allowed me to use saddle-bags and is half the weight of the standard one. The
bike seemed to have as much poke as Jockser's and ShortArse's XC's which had standard exhausts.

19042008030-1.jpg

I didn't like the plastic tail piece so I made a folded stainless steel cover to mount the saddle-bags
on, you can see better in the pic below. The pannier mounts are home made from 8mm stainless
bar, made to suite the saddle bags,
The pipe is a lot lower and half of it is underneath/inside the subframe.
01042008245.jpg

The tanks we got from Touratech, they have two pet-cock valves at the bottom of each lobe

26032008218-1.jpg

which link directly back to two banjo bolts which have to be fitted to the underside of the stock

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg

petrol tank (Below). It went on easy enough, the sticky template supplied were handy.

26032008216-1.jpg

Some of the other mods I made were the extension to the bashplate, and I bought two front sprockets
(13T and 14T) and two rear (both 2T bigger)

31012008124.jpg

The pic below shows the problems, first the Acerbis mudguard was only being supported by only two
bolts, so I made a small toolbox(last pic) which bolted to the front of the tee-piece and down into
the mudguard, and the exhaust needed an addition.

26032008221.jpg

As you can see, the exhaust hadn't been finished yet but you can see what it looks like
completed in some of the other pics.

Forgot to mention, I got touratech risers as well, they transformed the bike. I always felt I was
hanging over the front of the bike until I fitted these..
Toolbox/Mudguard support and arrangement for packing for Morocco
below.
03042008262.jpg

Two of the three bikes, ready for Morocco.

XCountryShock.jpg

The next thing I did was to get rid of the stock Air-Shock, I picked up a XCounry spring shock
which went right in. Physically the shock is shorter then the stock item, but when you're riding
it's just as tall
if not taller and certainly not as plush.

GSPOT.jpg

I think the G-Spot (see above) issue is easily sorted

21042008034.jpg

but the drilled hole in the shock rod, I think, is a bigger concern.

20062008287.jpg

After melting a rather large hole in two bike jeans from the header pipe I decided to make up a heat
shield, not pretty but will have to do.
The pipe that attaches to the header pipe was, luckily, a perfect fit, the silencer is 90mm OD
and the exhaust outlet 20mm.
The pipe had been hanging on a nail in a garage for ages, there was a number stamped on it,
which after a bit of google-ing, was belonging to an XT500. I don't know if it's the lambda
sensor or the Fuel Injection, but I think something on the bike compensated for the change, no
noticeable drop in performance and no change in economy, it did 5000km side by side with two
other XChallenges with no difference in MPG or acceleration/performance in any way. The cooling
fans came on at approximatly the same time and the bike started first tip every time.

Tailpack.jpg

It is very tidy compared to the stock exhaust, and performed the same.
The pipe that attaches to the header pipe was, luckily, a perfect fit, the silencer is 90mm OD
and the exhaust outlet 20mm.

30042008123.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER

tailpiece.jpg

I damaged the tail section of the bike badly and made up a new one. (€26 Vs. €200)

I know there were a few problems but the XChallenge is an absolutely brilliant bike.

P4300014.jpg

Thanks for posting that.:thumb2

Is that a kosher motorcycle exhaust? According to Google they seem to be a lawnmower part manufacturer:D

Can you give any more feedback on using the spring rather than air shock? Does it still have the tendancy to rise up when you move your weight off-centre?

Enjoyed the technical read.:thumb Some day I might understand it:augie

Modified or not it is a fantastic bike. Had one for half a day at BMW offroad course and did things I could not manage on the F800.:eek:

Good report.

Cheers GENTS.:thumb2

Is that a kosher motorcycle exhaust? According to Google they seem to be a lawnmower part manufacturer:D
Hi Gaz, the reference to Briggs and Stratton was because Jockser and ShortArse said my bike sounded like a "lawn-mower" :D. BTW, it doesn't, I'm fairly sure it's an after market XT500 silencer and it does make more noise than the stock item.
Can you give any more feedback on using the spring rather than air shock? Does it still have the tendency to rise up when you move your weight off-centre?
Well I still haven't got out on it for any big spins , but the "throw you forward" problem has all but gone. The only other thing I'd like to do is increase or stiffen the compression in the front. I'm well pleased with the XCountry shock, seems to do the trick without the ejector seat effect of the Air-shock.

Hi Daithi,
What sort of range did get from the tanks while you were in Morocco? I have read the report but could not find anything.

Cheers

David

Hi Daithi,
What sort of range did get from the tanks while you were in Morocco? I have read the report but could not find anything.

Cheers

David

David,
Sorry for not replying sooner, I saw it and went off to try figure out our range and forgot to reply.
At no stage did we really test the range as we stayed in a town every night and fuel was topped
up every night.
The "blurb" from Touratech might do ya:
With the auxiliary tank developed by TT3D, you can almost triple the range of your G 650 X. Touratech has managed to produce an extra 16 litres of fuel capacity. Once your X is fitted with this auxiliary tank, with its unlimited off-road capability, you'll have 25 litres of petrol on board and be able to cover distances up to 550 km (350 miles) on the BMW without even smelling a petrol station.

Back
Top Bottom