9 days to go!! Viva Espania!

Yogi-GB

OK OK I know I'm starting my 1st trip report before we have even left on our first trip abroad on the bikes but now i'm getting really excited! This is the plan.. although after the invaluable advice we have got from everyone on here its a very loose plan!

Saturday 5th - We are travelling to Plymouth from Cheshire for the ferry to Santander (any other GSERS on the 4 o'clock from Plymouth on the 6th July???). I am riding my 1200gs and my wife is on her f650gs. Avoiding motorways as much as possible we are stopping Saturday night at a B&B booked over the net in a place called Alyburton, Lydney, Gloucestershire. This is about our halfway point to Plymouth, we just thought it would break up the journey and looking at todays weather, give us a chance to dry out!!! grrrrrrrrr!!!

Sunday 6th - after a hearty breakfast, get over that big bridge and blast down to Plymouth. I'm looking forward to the cruisy bit of the trip. Working it all out it seems pretty reasonable to do 1 night on the ferry rather than 2/3 days getting through France. Nothing against the French (although I can hear my Dad muttering something about the war!!) but we are going to save France for next years so far unplanned trip to Italy.

Monday 7th - So then we get off the ferry in Spain unless that is, we got on the wrong ferry!:blast This is when all the fun and games starts! ITS THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!! I guess that is the biggest worry but with the GS being the biggest bike on the road I'm sure we will survive! Anyway its about 60 miles to the Hotel in Ribadesella after which the priority will be TAPAS!!!

Tuesday 8th & Wednesday 9th - PICOS DE EUROPA.. let me at em!! The place I want to head for is the cable car at Fuente De followed by the 4x4 tour at the top. All the roads look fantastic. Lots of twists and turns. Lovely!!

Thursday 10th - Friday 11th - The unplanned plan at the moment is to do the coast road to Galicia a place called Viveiro and then head to Pontevedra. There we will meet for the first time... and this is the really dangerous bit of the tour - a friend we met on the internet!!! I met my wife on the internet too. Now you know why this is the scary bit! Galicia was known by the Romans to be the end of world... lets just hope its not the end of mine!!
The good news about having a friend on the internet is.. she is spanish, she's pretty, she's a local and she is putting us up a couple of nights and is going to take us to Santiago de Compostela and also into Portugal so we can tick that country off as well. It will be great to have a tour guide I just hope she isn't like one of those internet horror stories you hear about and has a secret cellar... on the other hand...:) :topic

Well that takes us to Monday 14th and we have nothing else to do except catch the ferry home on Thursday.. No plans No deadlines.. just gonna follow the sunshine! It will be interesting to see if the tour turns out anything like the plan.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who contributes to GSERS :bow I have gleaned some great info as I have looked around, from what maps to buy, where to stay, where to avoid!

TO BE CONTINUED

Sounds like a great trip,and better not to have a strict timetable,at the end of the day you are riding around Spain And Portugal in the sunshine,how can you be lost ! Best wishes from Haydock.

Thanks Neil! BTW we live in Warrington just down the road. We have joined the Warrington Motorcycle Club which meets at Hollins Park social club every Friday night. Nice group of bikers from all codes.
We still plan on getting to the last tuesday meet of the NW GSERS but so far I have always been working grrrrrrrrr!

Sounds spot-on, look forward to reading the ride report on your return :thumb

A photo of your "internet friend"!!! is a must :D

Looing forward to your finished trip report! :D

We're off (me as pillion) later on in same direction and then to Pyrannees and France mainly - pop into Austria possibly. Trying to do whole trip camping but we'll see who 'caves in' first...

Have a good journey!

Yogi-GB
I do not mean to be picky but Spain is called Espanya .
Exscuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Clive but whilst we are being picky I think you'll find you meant to spell it Espaňa!! :)

Looing forward to your finished trip report! :D

We're off (me as pillion) later on in same direction and then to Pyrannees and France mainly - pop into Austria possibly. Trying to do whole trip camping but we'll see who 'caves in' first...

Have a good journey!
Issy, reminds me of one of our first trips up and around Scotland. We set off from Warrington in the rain all loaded up with the camping gear. Got absolutely soaked so headed for a B&B in Dumfries to dry out. Second day we got soaked again so we headed for another B&B in a place called DRYmen near Loch Lomond I thought that would be a good omen. It was a good omen!! we stayed dry the rest of the trip. As for the camping stuff well im afraid to say it never once came off the bikes the B&B's were far too tempting. :)

Good luck!

Tuesday 8th & Wednesday 9th - PICOS DE EUROPA.. let me at em!! The place I want to head for is the cable car at Fuente De followed by the 4x4 tour at the top. All the roads look fantastic. Lots of twists and turns. Lovely!!

A few pics from the jeep trail from Fuenta De.

37781320-L.jpg

37781315-L.jpg

37840313-L.jpg

This is the hotel halfway up. Good food and beer :thumb2

37781311-L.jpg

Have a great time. :D

Back
Top Bottom