Small laptop

mitch

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a small laptop to take on the bike for use with s/p3 and digi camara. Have looked at Sonys PCGTR1MP very small anyone got one any coments or do you know of anything better would appreciate any help Thanks

Mitch

JVC also do them, bit spenny at £1400 ish.

Model is the JVC MP-XP5230 or 7230 (£1633)

Check out www.technomatic.co.uk or 08705 124111

I have no connection with the company, just that I fancy one too for the same reason!
:)

Apple I-Book. With OSX it's cross platform compatible with PC's. Get one only if you want to never crash (no blue screen of death). The OS is Unix based. New Office Suite coming out. Son of Molsondog just got one. Small, light, rugged. Great graphics capability. I bought a PowerBook 3 years ago and have had no issues. If the I-Book had come with the G4 chip I would have bought one then, but it was only available on the PowerBook. If you want to spend a little more for a lot more, the new small PowerBook is unrivaled. Good luck. Remember, after you buy, don't look back. Whatever you get will be cheaper and better in 6 months.

mikebelch said:
This looks sexy: http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/new-laptops-notebooks/JVC-MP_XP731-laptops-notebooks-new.htm

When I was in the USA a friend who works for Transmeta showed me a Sharp notebook using his company's Crusoe chip. Not sure if it is sold in the UK but it was very very nice.

Mike

Just seen them in PC World. One at £999(smaller) one at £1400 I think. The smaller one is half the weight of the other. CPU speed, battery life and size seem to be the main differences. Up to 2.9hrs for smaller, up to 5.6hrs for larger.

I've seen the ones in PC World, but the JVC is a lot smaller and lighter. just A5 size (210 x 150mm) and 0.9Kg . Fit in the top box a treat

Panasonic Toughbook

Have a look at the Panasonic Toughbooks. They have a good range and we have used the really rugged range on mine sites for checking dozer and hauler engine management systems.

They also have a very good international warranty.

My call would be the cheapest old one that would run the software you want so it is not too much of a loss when it goes awol.

Mitch.......just as an alternative, why not go for a reconned laptop......you can get some pretty nice kit with reasonable processors and storage with all the necessaries (cables chargers etc) for around £350......they may not be the sexiest latest toys but they're plenty good enough to run Mapsource, have a usb con for the camera and at that price, they're almost disposable.

Just a thought.

:D

BUT; bulky, heavy and battery power doesn't last long
Hmmm not necessarily....though I must admit the battery on mine is shagged but I knew that and the thing was cheaper beacause of it.

12v leads for a laptop are cheap enough.

laptop

Thanks for info. What Laptop out 22.01.04 has a review on Ultraportable Laptops so will see what they have to say

Mitch

armageddon

Fanum said:
Mitch.......just as an alternative, why not go for a reconned laptop......you can get some pretty nice kit with reasonable processors and storage with all the necessaries (cables chargers etc) for around £350......they may not be the sexiest latest toys but they're plenty good enough to run Mapsource, have a usb con for the camera and at that price, they're almost disposable.

Just a thought.
:D

When my pc crashed for the gazillionth time I took it for a one way walk to the workshop where I re-modelled it with a sledge hammer. Tried to make a peugeot 103 but ended up with a beige fruit bowl.
The iMac that replaced it is fantastic but I need windows for work/kids school/gps etc so I bought a re-con dell laptop from Morgan last year.
Three month warranty and no problems at all and as said, if it breaks then bin it and buy again.

Ah, laptops on bikes - a subject close to my heart! I have a Sony C1, the predecessor to the TR1. The C1 used to be top dog but the TR1 is even better - I borrowed one the other day - and I'd have one like a shot if I had a proper excuse for retiring my (still excellent) C1.

The TR1 graphics are stunning, great for your photos. Whatever you buy, check to see how much graphics RAM it's got. Laptops have to make compromises to get this small and I suspect that's one area where you don't want a crap spec?

The TR1's CD is built-in - I'm pretty sure it's the smallest laptop which has this. But maybe you don't need a CD when you're out and about? If so you might prefer the JVC which I'm pretty sure is the smallest fully featured laptop on the market right now. It's the same format as the C1, i.e. they've shrunk the case to paperback size by not putting a CD in. (The CD is external). As a result the JVC will fit in a tank bag, or even your jacket. But the TR1...well it might just have to go in the topbox or pannier...depends which tank bag you have I suppose.

The TR1 also has a Centrino chip and built in wireless...not sure the JVC does? Wireless could be fantastic within a year or two...you'll rock up at a coffee shop or a petrol station and find you have instant web access without any fiddling about...imagine the possibilities.

Is disk size an issue? I don't know what sort of files you think you might be storing. It's hard to find a laptop this size with more than 30 Gig, although you can always get an extra external drive like I did - they're not expensive.

Whatever you buy will come with a mains adapter. If you want to run it off the bike's accessory socket get an iGo Juice adapter (about £90) which can also do 12V DC and comes with plugs for a car cigarette lighter and an airline seat.

If you want to be really way out, leading bleeding edge an' all that, have a look at the world's smallest handheld Windows XP machine at www.antelopetech.com. It will fit in your pocket but it's a real PC, with a 1 Gig processor, a 15 Gig disk and a ruggedised shell. However it has a touch screen instead of a keyboard. If you need a keyboard you might be able to plug in an external one - there are one or two folding ones around which could fit in your other pocket. What a gadget! It's allegedly a quality bit of kit - Antelope have a cosy relationship with IBM. Get one and tell me all about it!

Laptop

I just got a IBM Thinkpad 240 off Ebay for £247.50, mainly for use with Mapsource.
Very neat and compact, not sure if good enough for digi photo but worth a look at the price.
Pan European said he used one on his travels.

Look here:-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3460736453&category=3715

and here:-http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=laptopsbydesign&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

cheers

Gerry

Back
Top Bottom