The hole in the end.

Wapping

Reaction score
It has often struck me that Garmin have drilled the hole into the wrong end of the security bolt key.

When delivered, the security key itself goes onto a key ring, whilst the innocent 'cover' for the key is easy to remove but useless. This means it is often necessary to take the security key off the key ring, simply to use it. The safety key being so much easier to turn if it is not attached to a bunch of other keys. In short, the hole is drilled in the wrong end.

To correct this simple error in design, I have drilled a hole on the 'ball' of the security itself, as a sort of mirror image of the hole pre-drilled into the 'cover' end.

Here's how:

The safety key ball is brass, with a chrome finish.

The ball is round, making it awkward to drill.

I filed a small flat onto the ball.

I marked a suitable punch dent, using a centre punch.

I drilled a small pilot hole, using a thin drill, in a hand drill.

I then hand drilled again, twice, using progressively larger drills.

Job done!

The safety key is now easy to use.

I quickly lost the cover of my key when it worked itself loose. I still have the key but no cover.

Not a bad idea as long as the two parts don't become separated inadvertently. :nenau

I quickly lost the cover of my key when it worked itself loose. I still have the key but no cover.

Not a bad idea as long as the two parts don't become separated inadvertently. :nenau

Same here

That has now become a great worry to me.....:blast

The solution will be to find a tiny rubber washer. Is there no end to fiddling about pleasure?

Mmmm

Wapping

Reading your post got me thinking so off I went to have a look at the said item.

My thought is yes a pain to use with keys on but at least you wouldn't loose the screw driver.

Maybe something like this would be better.

That has now become a great worry to me.....:blast

The solution will be to find a tiny rubber washer. Is there no end to fiddling about pleasure?

You're not one of those tossers that keep their keys dangling from a belt loop or worse, have them rattling around your headstock whilst riding? I've always (30 odd years now) had a quick release clip for my ignition key so that it's only the ignition key that gets put in the lock. The rest of my bunch of keys go back into my pocket.

I did the drilling bit as well as I too thought that it was daft to have to twiddle your whole bunch of keys to undo the screw. I do, however, keep the thing on the little case with my ear plugs in, which is kept in my pocket whilst out riding. So, unless I drop it in the dark, it's almost impossible to loose.

You're not one of those tossers that keep their keys dangling from a belt loop or worse, have them rattling around your headstock whilst riding?

You are correct.

I do not keep my keys on a belt loop or dangling from the headstock. All but my ignition key live in a BMW, zipped-up key-pouch.

unless I drop it in the dark, it's almost impossible to loose.
Don't go out after dark then Howard? :rolleyes:

You are a condescending W-Anchor who thinks that he knows what other people do without actually knowing anything of the sort. :tosser

Back
Top Bottom