Thumper in thrown chain shocker

Pip

Cor blimey, just got back from Silverstone and on the way had the chain snap at 80mph. Quite a nice bang in the outside lane with the support vehicle, i.e. the SWMBO in the car, watching from behind. Nice AA man picked us up pronto and now am home.

Knew it was on the way out as it's stretched recently and failure to the fit the scotoiler has reduced lubeing it. Silly me, took my eye off the ball to overhaul a VFR 400 for the summer.

Anyway, was wondering what is the best chain and sprockets to buy with a budget of around £100? Gonna replace the three items and get that S/O out of it's box finally.

Ride safe,

S

If so, I wouldn't have it on my F650GS!

Why not :nenau Thats the way chains have been joined for years. Never had one fail yet.

Got two on my pogo to allow quick chain length changing for the road and dirt wheels.

Properly maintained and lubed I can't see a problem.

Is that really a split link with that chain?

If so, I wouldn't have it on my F650GS!

I personally havn't used a split link chain on any of my bikes...but if thye're good enough for supersport race bikes, then I don't see a problem...

You could always put the horseshoe clip on the wrong direction just to be sporting...:D

These chains with split links are nothing like the chains of yore...:thumb2

Hell, all of the chains on the machines i build are held together with split links, not had one fail yet. :thumb2

We even run the chains in guides, only time the clips come of is when some bugger puts it on the wrong way around.

Anyway a split chain makes it so much easier to change, last chain i got involved removing the swingarm to fit it :eek: Bearings needed lubing anyway, perhaps something you'd better check when you fit a new chain, they were not exactly overdoing it when they greased them in the factory

Don't wast your money on BM ones. You'll gain nothing except a big bill for removing your swing arm to fit the thing.

I fitted a kit I found on ebay for about £70ish. Don't worry about the split link, if it's fitted right it'll hold anything the 650 can throw at it.

I had about four on the extended chain on my RD400 dragster, and that was quick enough to embarrass any modern 600 sports bike off the line.

Val.

I thought the bm kit was actually quite reasonable in price, £90 odd for the chain and sprockets if you fit it yourself which i did. :thumb2

Have to say that the chain is utter cack tho. For that reason alone i'm not getting another kit from bm.

Bearings needed lubing anyway, perhaps something you'd better check when you fit a new chain, they were not exactly overdoing it when they greased them in the factory

Has anyone got a recommendation for rough mileage before lubing the swing arm?

Back
Top Bottom