Croatia

Peak

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the throws of planning a trip to Croatia in mid September. Naturally I've been searching through these very pages for advice and ideas, but I thought I'd share my plans with you lot, to see if there is anything else you can recommend, and to pick your brains further.

I've got about 10 days off work in mid September, and more importantly, permission from SHMBO to bugger off on the bike! The plans are pretty basic at the moment, but this is what I'm thinking....

Early morning ferry over to France, then, as I've only got 10 days and been to France hundreds of times before, I thought I'd motorway through and head towards Switzerland. I've got a good friend who's just started a new job in Baden and I've arranged to meet him there and stay the night. From Baden over the Alps to Italy (can any one recommend a good route?) Then head to Trieste. From Trieste into Slovenia and then Croatia. The plan is to follow the coastal road to Split, (if time permits to Mostar) and finally Dubrovnik. I would like to see the Plitvice lakes along the way and perhaps catch a ferry over to one of the Islands, though not sure which one? I would like to camp as much as possible, so any advice on campsites would be use full. This is my first proper trip away on a bike so anything else you think may be of use will be greatfully received.

I do have some questions though.

Which are the best road maps to use, I think I read somewhere on here there are some very good German maps, but I can't seem to find where I read it now.

Also what is the cost of fuel out there? Just to help me budget.

And finally, if any is going to be in the area at that time, and wants to meet up for a days riding let me know :beerjug:

Thanks in advance.

Phil :thumb2

This thread has fuel prices for most countries listed. Not Croatia though, although the price will be about the same as neighbouring Slovenia.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1470132#post1470132

A nice route to get from Baden Baden to Italy is:
south through the Black Forest (B500) to Lake Constance. Cross over into Austria. Dap along the motorway to just past Imst. Head for Solden and the Timmelsjoch pass. Might be a bit chilly at 2509m above sea level but should still be open. You can always use the Brenner motorway pass if it's a bit dodgy.

You'll be covering a lot of miles to get to Dubrovnik/Mostar & back in 10 days. You won't be leaving much time for sight seeing. The coast road from Rijeka to Dubrovnik via Split is fairly dull and full of traffic. Personally, I'd stay in the north of the country. Enjoy the lovely mountains and coast and spend some time looking at stuff. Plitvik Lakes are definitely worth seeing.

I travelled the Croatian coastal road from Split to Rejeka in Sept 2005.
Sibenik and the area around Murter are classic Adriatic coast. Some lovely roads inland past bombed out villages and signs about minefields. :eek:

There were also some fairly scenic parts mid way between Zadar and Rejeka where the road hugs the coast and is quite twisty in places. Frustratingly slow riding as there was just enough traffic in both directions to hinder progress, and to limit overtakes especially when you have met a few of the local kamikaze drivers. Surface was also somewhat like a wash board in places.

If you want to get to Dubrovik quickly there is the inland motorway, parts of which were still being built when I was there. Most roads away from the cities have very light traffic.

Plitvicka is okay for 1/2 day but you do need to leave the bike and walk or take the tourbus into the valley to actually see anything.

Thanks John, it was those ADAC maps I'd seen somewhere on here, I'll be investing in some of those!

Wessie, can you recommend some interesting places in the north to visit? It's Baden in Switzerland my mate is living, near Zurich! I'd love to try and incorperate the Stelvio pass on the way over but I don't know if it will be open at that time of year?

Thanks for the advice so far!:beerjug:

....Some lovely roads inland past bombed out villages and signs about minefields. :eek:

I find things like that fascinating, and would like to see some of these villages.

Thanks John, it was those ADAC maps I'd seen somewhere on here, I'll be investing in some of those!

Wessie, can you recommend some interesting places in the north to visit? It's Baden in Switzerland my mate is living, near Zurich! I'd love to try and incorperate the Stelvio pass on the way over but I don't know if it will be open at that time of year?

Thanks for the advice so far!:beerjug:

The mountains that run parallel with the Slovenian border are fun to ride in. The new toll road has some long viaducts with superb views.

Pula is an interesting place to visit. As is Porec. Both have a long history with Roman, Byzantine and many other influences.

The coast road from Pula to Opatija has nice views. The surface is very rough in places, though. Opatija is a nice resort town. I'm sure there are campsites; I stayed in a rather grand 4* hotel overlooking the harbour :)

Also, make some time to just sit on a pavement cafe gazing at the beuatifully tanned people going about their business or watching the sun set over the Adriatic or mountains.

Back
Top Bottom