A little advice and help

RussJutty

Hello guys,

Getting my first bike F650GS later this month, already bought a few bits, crash bars etc, but what essentials should i get. Whats the best oil? brake fluid etc, i have tools, but is there any weird tool i should look at getting. I am a complete newbie and to be honest i need your accumulated wisdom so that i am pretty much prepared for getting the bike,

thank you for any help or advice

The most useful nay essential addition to my tools has been a set of torx bits, up to a 55 you'll need. & a torque wrench would be useful too. Nippy Norman's has everything you'll need Russ. Not sure about the fluids myself but i'm sure some kind soul will be along shortly.

You shouldn't need oil before the 600/1000 mile service, and might not need any at all between dealer oil changes. If you do, the manual says to use 10/40 and it's normal to use mineral for the first 6000 or so miles, but ask your dealer to be on the safe side.

Brake fluid? Never used any in last 100,000 miles.

Hello guys,

Getting my first bike F650GS later this month, already bought a few bits, crash bars etc, but what essentials should i get. Whats the best oil? brake fluid etc, i have tools, but is there any weird tool i should look at getting. I am a complete newbie and to be honest i need your accumulated wisdom so that i am pretty much prepared for getting the bike,

thank you for any help or advice

Any motorcyclist with a chain-driven bike needs chain lube and probably chain cleaner if your lube attracts gunk.

For chain lube, I prefer Wurth's Dry Lube, much less mess than oil/wax/gel, it doesn't get flung onto your tyres. (Now I got the scottoiler I don't even think about it :clap)

As/when your chain needs adjusting you'll need to be able to loosen the axel nut, which I think (don't quote me on this) requires a 24mm(M16) socket and a 22mm (I think) Hex key. Also a spanner for the chain adjustment screw and locknut (13mm/M8 maybe?). The rear axel nut will need tightening to 100Nm and the chain tensioning screw to 19Nm. That might mean a big and a small torque wrench, though many people guess the correct tightness.

Further down the line you might want protectant spray like WD40, F365 or ACF-50 to protect from moisture and salt from the roads. Each product has their fans. (I use ACF50 on all fastenings every 6 months, and a squirt of F365 over everything except brakes and tyres after its weekly jet wash).

Oil if you ever need it is 10W-40 Mineral oil of API classification AF through SH. But in my experience to date, this engine doesn't drink any oil (but only 2500 miles so far). I'm sure your BMW dealer will be happy to sell you the correct product. They will also sell you plastic cleaner, paintwork cleaner, wax, polish etc...

Someone cleverer than me will be along to put my numbers right shortly...

Thanks so much guys, ill nip onto nippy normans for the torx bits, i just like to slap a few bits in the garage just incase needed, always had a habit for planning and preparing for things long before needed. It's getting the Scottoiler fitted at the dealership, so i know to just buy top ups for that when needed.

Thanks again

Cheers Tim, got a repair kit similar to that, can sit in the vario panniers or if fits under seat. Can't wait to pick this bike up now... time goes all so slow when you are in a hurry

Back
Top Bottom