Austria and Germany in August

jerry the hat

Reaction score
We're booked on the World of BMW tour to Austria and Germany in August this year (anyone else going, or am I the only wuss who needs a guide?). It includes the Grossglockner, Jauffen and Timmelsjoch passes.

How difficult are these - I've never ridden an alpine pass before - how steep are they? I'll be two-up with the missus, plus all her luggage, so the bike will be fairly well loaded.

Any advice, annecdotes gratefully received.

Jerry the hat. :hide

The major problem is right-hand uphill hairpins which are tricky due to the angle of climb. You need to take them extremely wide, approaching them as close to the middle of the road as possible.

Tim

Austrian hairpins

Tim - thanks for that. I've not done many hairpins, but when I do I tend to stay as wide as possible - even using the other side of the road if it's easy to check for traffic. All the pictures make the road seem reasonably wide, so maybe I wont need to do this.

Nervous, me? err...

J-t-h :hide

Even if you're nervous for the first few hairpins, you'll get plenty of practice over those passes! If it's any consolation, I felt similarly nervous before heading into the Alps for the first time a few years ago.

As you've hinted, the trick is to stay as wide as you can, especially on right handers. There is a risk that taking a wide line will place you in a risky position if a wide vehicle (or an Italian driver) is coming the other way, especially on the narrower roads. So, unless you can see the road is clear (and quite often you can see by looking back on yourself and uphill or downhill) just take it at a steady pace. Wherever possible, don't commit youself to the corner until you can see it is clear. You want to avoid having to cut in at the last minute on a right hander.

If it means clunking into first and revving it more than you normally would, that's better than going in in second and not having the oomph to pull out again. And going too slow can be a problem too.

Downhill, make sure you get your braking done in plenty of time. Some of the steep bits are steep enough to add a bit to your braking distance, especially two up and fully loaded. On the positive side, you can leave braking for the uphill ones really late!

Grossglockner doesn't have too many hairpin series, but is a brilliant road. If you're doing that one first, it'll give you some familiarisation time before taking on Timmelsjoch.

Enjoy your trip.

Riding down to Austria (Obergurgl) in ten days time, and plan to ride up Timmelsjock (which is just up the road) and Grossglockner.

Did Stelvio a few years ago, two up on a well laden Pan. Good grief, what a road. The right handers were pretty difficult on such a heavy bike, especially as you can't see what's approaching the hairpins. I began to take them wider and wider until the inevitable happened. I became face to face with an oncoming truck. I came to a stop, the wife had to get off as I struggled (with my short legs) to get around. Lots of the use of 1st gear.

Did Stelvio a few years ago, two up on a well laden Pan. ... The right handers were pretty difficult on such a heavy bike ... I began to take them wider and wider until the inevitable happened. I became face to face with an oncoming truck. I came to a stop, the wife had to get off as I struggled (with my short legs) to get around.
Well that cheered him up no end. :D :D

I was in the Swiss Alps last year on my GS and just got back yesterday from the Austrian Alps and the Czech Republic on my Tuono. As has been said before, going up 1st gear will give you plenty of pull and control and don't be afraid of revving it. Take your time, be the slowest in the group if you have to and enjoy them. I was really apprehensive on the way there thinking I was going to ride off the edges of the mountains. Slow and steady and you'll be fine at first and then speed up if and when you want to. I had guys leaving me for dust on the passes 2-up on their GSs, so the bike is more then capable.

I found Austria to be the most amazing place I've ever been for riding: fantasticaly conditioned roads, loads of bikers, beautiful scenery. It's a playground for motorcycles of all styles. You'll love it.

I forgot something: I find the downhill hairpins harder as you have momentum behind you. Keep the gears as low as possible and use your engine breaking to keep the bike smooth and you'll do fine.

The Grossglockner is the easiest to do just watch out for the 1 cobbled hairpin if its wet we did it 2weeks ago and had a bit of snow and 1.5 deg C. It cost's 18 euro.

The Timmelsjock is also a toll can't remember how much it is has slightly tighter bends, I prefer the Italian side.

The Stelvio which you are not doing has the tightest bends of all but is free!!

Have a great time and enjoy the bends The GS is the best bike to be on especially fully loaded.

Let us know what the BMW tour is like I have looked at them before but have thought they might be a bit snooty:nenau

Grossglockner is touristic place - I would avoid the week-ends there. Too many buses. Nothing scaring on the passes - just common sence. We were on the top of Grossglockner beginning of May, 2007, the next day it was open to public. With snow on it. Just try to go there earlier - just at the opening, would be less visitors.
Enjoy your ride!

I was in the Swiss Alps last year on my GS and just got back yesterday from the Austrian Alps and the Czech Republic on my Tuono. As has been said before, going up 1st gear will give you plenty of pull and control and don't be afraid of revving it. Take your time, be the slowest in the group if you have to and enjoy them. I was really apprehensive on the way there thinking I was going to ride off the edges of the mountains. Slow and steady and you'll be fine at first and then speed up if and when you want to. I had guys leaving me for dust on the passes 2-up on their GSs, so the bike is more then capable.

I found Austria to be the most amazing place I've ever been for riding: fantasticaly conditioned roads, loads of bikers, beautiful scenery. It's a playground for motorcycles of all styles. You'll love it.

Too right it is!!!
and the Austrians I met all treat bikers as friends
dont worry about the hairpins, the roads are good with good tarmac and you will find you get into a routine for hairpins, and before you know it you will be going looking for them, after all there are lots to practice on!

enjoy enjoy enjoy.......you will love it!:thumb2

Just over a week to go...

A big thanks for all the advice. I've got a new set of tyres, new brake pads (care of Steptoe) and the zumo is loaded up with music, so here goes.

I'll let you all know how I get on...

J-t-H :hide

How difficult are these - I've never ridden an alpine pass before - how steep are they? I'll be two-up with the missus, plus all her luggage, so the bike will be fairly well loaded.

This brought back some memories :eek: First did the Pyrenness and Alps back in 98 :rob two up in the rain on a VFR. Never gave the passes a thought before I left,:blast just had my map and a rough idea of my route. After the first pass full of hairpins it was like water of a ducks back, second nature and getting more confidence at every turn.
Don't worry, just relax and enjoy the roads it will all come so naturally, if your like me, you will forget about the lovely lady on the back :augie till you get a dig in the ribs :D
Intercom a must in the Alps, just to say woohh look at that etc!

I'm off the Austrian Alpes this weekend. R1200GS with the wife on the back. We're aiming for all the usual passes, plus a day or two in Salzburg and maybe Vienna (my grandparents were Viennese so I'm going to 'find myself'). We may see as few of you guys over there.

We're going too!

The good Mrs Rider & myself are off to Bolzano on Saturday on board a fully loaded (shoes) GS. Above comments really useful, as an Alpine Newbie I'm now slightly less apprehensive. :)

No problem Jerry...

Just back from 8 days in Austria (Vienna - Graz - Salzburg - Grossglockner - Innsbruck - Munich). At the risk of repeating the obvious (I was scared to death on my first alpine trip years ago!):
Going up - low gear (1st!) keep on the gas, don't fa**y about, or you'll wobble. ALWAYS look back over your shoulder on the straight bit - see what's coming down and adjust speed so (hopefully) the corner is clear when you get there and you can take it wide (right-handers). If you have a pillion (think you do) - give them the job!
Going down - get into low gear BEFORE the bend, use the rear brake to steady the bike (don't worry - that's what it's for!) and drive it round (don't freewheel).
Relax and don't grip the bars too tight, use your knees.
Have a spectacular time - a wonderful country for the ol' GS.

Back
Top Bottom