Oxford goes for blanket 20mph speed limit

Currently the 20 mph limits in the uk are not legally enforcible. Only get a ticket if over 30mph:)

Ah, 'fraid not:

The Police’s overall policy on 20mph limits is that they should be self-enforcing and that therefore enforcement will not be carried unless there are exceptional problems and these proposals are designed to be self-enforcing as far as possible. However, subject to agreement with the Police and the Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership, some targeted enforcement would be planned focusing on particular roads where self-enforcement would be more difficult to achieve and/or average speeds are likely to be higher.

So there'll be enforcement on the very roads where it's probably safer to ride at more than 20mph. Council logic...

That's hilarious. I remember doing my car test in Cowley (a part of Oxford) in the 20mph bits - the road rage generated behind me as I pootled about was probably more dangerous than going at the perfectly reasonable speed of 30.

Given that my local speed camera keeps being removed by 'unknown' locals :gringo :mcgun (set to 30 on the downhill slope of a 40's end) I really can't see the locals putting up with this.

If you can ever get to over 20mph anywhere in Oxford, you should be allowed to go as fast as damn possible to reduce the already chronic congestion.

Back
Top Bottom