US - UK - Norway - Russia (Murmansk - St. Pete) - Baltic States - ...

Playersmarkus

Hi everyone!
Just found this board on coincidence but couldn't be happier. More info about Scandinavia than anywhere else :bounce1

I'm starting my little trip in less than two weeks, from Vail, CO to St. Moritz, CH via US, Canada, UK, Norway, Russia, Baltic States, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland.

...or maybe I will just be run over by some drunk uninsured Mexican in Denver, in this case, thanks for your help anyway.:guitarist

Vail and St Moritz are sister cities and I have strong ties with both of them, just in case you are wondering. And no, I'm not a Jet Set Monoski Pretty Boy

I'm planning on leaving the first week of August. I'm pretty behind with my planning as usual, but I'm ok with everything US, Canada, transport,UK.

Europe is where the questions start :O). I hope I can get some help from you guys, it would help me tremendously! Thank you in advance!

- I have never been to Norway, but read a lot about it now. Unfortunately I'm not only German, but pretty dumb,too, so I forget most of what I read . Anyway, I would like to see a bit of this amazing area, and I'm trying to plan my time from Bergen to Nordkapp. I have absolutely no idea how long it will take me. How many miles does one average a day with all the ferries, taking pictures,riding the Fjords, ...? I'm really struggeling with this part...

- What temperature will it be around the Artic Circle in the middle of August?

- I'm planning to cross the border in Kirkenes. How long is the drive from Kirkenes to Murmansk? Anything interesting on the way? How is the infrastructure (gas, food, hookers) <-- I'm kidding (maybe not), seriously, is gas available on the way? Is there such a thing as an emergency road service in this area (and no, I'm not talking about the madames)? Are there any interesting things to see on the way to Murmansk?

- Same questions as above for Murmansk to St Pete, most importantly, how long is the approx riding time?

- I heard of a couple Russian GPS maps for my Garmin, but of course I forgot their names . Any recommondations? I do have the Auto Atlas.

- What paperwork do I need for my bike at RU border crossing?
- Which is the best SIM card for Russia? Will my US Iphone work there?

- Is anyone going during this time? I'm riding solo, unless my wife is going to discover the video of me next to some Norwegen top model on youtube and is going to hunt me down ( aren't the Swedish the top models??), or I'm getting raped by some delicate Russian Igor (but for that case I have bearspray with me ) .:blast

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Markus

Hi!

I'm a Norwegian girl, living in Norway.
...and you are new here; welcome! :clap

I'm going to Kaliningrad, Poland, and Ukraine in August, riding my bike.

My check list:
-Ask for visum / visa for Kaliningrad for all days I want to stay there.
-Not too old passport.
-The papers for my bike are not damaged, so they can easily read all letters.
-Booked & payed for the hotel in Kaliningrad.
-Booked & payed for the ferry Sweden-Lithuania.
-''Green card'' for my bike, -I got it from my incuranse company.
-International driver license, -I got it from our Norwegian N.A.F. = a company for rescuing vehicles on the road.
-Valid ''plast money'' = VISA-card.
-Papers in English from my doc, a list with names of medical things I bring with me. (Not ordinary pain killers, only personal pills just for me.)
-Not close to expiry date on my driver license card.

...and try not to put too much luggage on the bike, and make sure my bike are OK!

I do not bring foreign money, dollars og simular - I'll get money for each country when I get there.

My guide for Poland are telling me there are no toilet paper in Poland, but that is not true! My friend has been travelling in Poland & Russia and countries in that area - no problem!

Norway:
The fun part are in the south part, and the west part of the south part. Read a topograpich map and you'll see what I mean!
If there are two roads in your direction, pick the narrowest! Narrow = slower, but funnier!
If the first couples of miles of a road are tarmac, then most likely there are tarmac to the next crossing - do not be afraid!
Most ferries in Norway, specially in the tourist areas, are leaving often, but sometimes there are any tourists in line...

We like mc in Norway, so:
Ferries: wait in line, like cars, but try to make contact with the staff - sometimes they let bikes first.
Ferries: On the ferry the staff let you be the first to leave the ferry - good, ha! :thumb2
Petrol stations: You may move your bike before you pay for the petrol, if you like, but do it slowly and do not wear your helmet - just push it out of the way for the next customer (car) if possible. You may use your VISA card, and then there are no problem at all! (Check if your card are OK in Norway BEFORE you leave home!)
Toll roads: Many are free for bikes! Not all...
Bus lane: Yes, a motorbike with 2 wheels can ride there! Not sidecars. (Why? :nenau Stupid new law. ) But; if the sign tell ''only buss / TAXI'' you can NOT ride in the bus lane. Normally all motorbikes can ride in the bus lane. In Norway!
Parking: Ouch, a hard one... OK, if you need to pay and they want you to put your receipt ''behind the windscreen'' - my suggestion is to fotograph it, put it in your pocket, and e-mail that fotograph to the company if possible.
Parking: Most likely you'll get away with it if you find a spot no car can use. Some cities have special parking lots for motorbikes - for free.

Time to ride in Norway:
I'll say maximum 350 km a day in the fun part (hairpins, ferries, campers) - more is doable, but is it fun just to turn the handle and do not see the nature around you?
Speed / Tickets: Speed cameraes do not fotograph your bike from behind... :thumb -But there are police out there, looking for you, so be careful! In an 80km/h-area; -if you do 115km/h you might loose your driver license... Slow down!
Rools in traffic: ''Give way'' from right wery often on slower roads. The rest is easy to understand from the signs.
Lights on a vehicle: dipped lights 24 hours!

Warning:
Many of the accidents with motorbikes over here is because of;
-bad road around the corner.
-car drivers do not see you (or do not want to see you ''the bike was not there when I checked!'' ...stupid driver with a slow brain. )
-animals on the road! The farmers animals, and wild animals, large, slow, small, - all types!

Temperature:
Ah, that is a good one! :) From bloody freezing in rain, to too hot to stop in the sun! Even snow! Most likely two set of thin wool next to your skin under your riding suit is ok or too hot. Wear a wind stopper on your neck - that help in rain!
(If you see snow on the main road in August, please fotograph it - not too often that happens, but it MIGHT happend.)

-Did I help? :nenau A little, I guess. ;)
Let me quote a friend of mine:
''-There has been people there before we arrive. They manage, our odds to make it are good.'' :D

..and yes; the :beer: here are expencive! But the tap water are free & good & safe! And healthy too, I've been told! :p

:) Liv.

Liv, thank you so much for your effort and time!!! :clap:clap:clap
I have already read a bunch of your posts before and was hoping to get an answer from you, too. :)

Lucky you, then! ;)

If you see my azur blue Scarver or my blue, old&rebuild boxer sidecar, then you know what to do... :beerjug:

Have fun!
:) Liv.

just finished a 2 week tour of scandinavia,

stavanger to the Lofoten Islands took 4 full days, pretty long days but its light until - well it doesnt get dark so we rode until about 8pm then camped wherever, there are lots of campsites everywhere, 250-300 miles a day is easily achieved

ferries no issue at all, straight to the front of the ques and off first so no worries there.

Roads are twisty so watch your speed or you can get caught out on the odd hairpin etc..

Watch out for the Reindeer and the Elk up north - they really are a danger so beware.

Petrol stations are the same as anywhere else, you can either pay inside or use the automated ones outside - your choice.

Never saw any police in 2 weeks so cant comment on them :D

enjoy your trip

Liv, I will look out for your bike! And if our paths cross then we will go for a beer...or three :beerjug::beer::guitarist
Farmboy, thanks for the info! It looks like ~300km is the average daily drive in scenic areas...

Liv, I will look out for your bike! And if our paths cross then we will go for a beer...or three :beerjug::beer::guitarist
Farmboy, thanks for the info! It looks like ~300km is the average daily drive in scenic areas...

Jiii-ha!
I'll go this weekend - ferry from Sweden and then to Kaliningrad for some days, and then direction south. Home with a ferry from Poland, I guess?
My friend ride a red Jawa CZ, two-stroke, 180ccm.
And I ride my blue Scarver. -What a great team! :thumb

:roll Liv.

Jiii-ha!
I'll go this weekend - ferry from Sweden and then to Kaliningrad for some days, and then direction south. Home with a ferry from Poland, I guess?
My friend ride a red Jawa CZ, two-stroke, 180ccm.
And I ride my blue Scarver. -What a great team! :thumb

:roll Liv.

Hi, Liv!
The new ferry line is going to be opened this week end : Stockholm-Riga, on the 2nd of August. Operated by Tallink/Silja Line. Just one night on board. Then you can take E67/it's better than E77/ and cross Lithuania to Kaliningrad. Enjoy your week-end!:)
P.S. My first DIY oil change in F650CS of my wife a few years ago was done according to your post/instructions with pics on Belt-Gang.com:D
Though the bike was new and my hands were a bit shaking to touch a BMW.:D Thanks a lot!

- Same questions as above for Murmansk to St Pete, most importantly, how long is the approx riding time?

- you can do it in two days easily. Better to stay overnight in Petrozavodsk, there are modern hotels avaliable there. Please note the fellow bikers from Murmansk prefer to bypass that leg via Finland as the road surface is not so nice. But then they ride GoldWings:)

- I heard of a couple Russian GPS maps for my Garmin, but of course I forgot their names . Any recommondations? I do have the Auto Atlas.
- the maps are provided by Navicom company/ Moscwo based/. You can visit their i-net site.

- What paperwork do I need for my bike at RU border crossing? - normally your passport with valid entry permit/visa, your registration paper for the bike and your green card/insurance/ valid for Russia - could be bought at the border crossing check-point.
- Which is the best SIM card for Russia? Will my US Iphone work there? Iphones are extremely popular with chicks-en-mode here:) Best SIM-card should be MTC. At least I use one and it works almost everywhere here. Well, exept some remoted areas:)

- Is anyone going during this time? I'm riding solo, unless my wife is going to discover the video of me next to some Norwegen top model on youtube and is going to hunt me down ( aren't the Swedish the top models??), or I'm getting raped by some delicate Russian Igor (but for that case I have bearspray with me ) .:blast

Forget about Igor - you are going to Russia, not to London:D But keep the spray.:thumb2

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Markus

Hope my replies were of some encouragement!:)

Back
Top Bottom