Accommodation in Tremp and La Pobla de Segur

Stuart Fordyce

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on accommodation. I and two other students from my university are doing a geology field trip, and need somewhere to stay in the aforementioned locations. Anybody been/advice? We're going for three weeks and would much prefer not to camp!

The plan, for me at least, is to get the ferry which leaves Portsmouth on the 21st, and sail to Bilbao, before riding the last bit on what will be by then a heavily laden 2007 F650GS.

Also, I've never taken a bike on a ferry (well, bar the wee one which plies its trade between Sandbanks and Studland in Dorset!), so any advice is welcome.

Thanks everyone!

I stayed in Tremp a few years ago. We booked a hotel on arrival, but there didn't seem to be a lot to do of a night-time there. Lovely roads nearby, though.

The ferry: they will ask you to park next to some railings on the side stand, then throw a grubby, oily, smelly pillow over the seat, stretch a bit of grubby, oily, smelly rope over the pillow, tie it to the offside of the bike somewhere, across the pillow, and onto the railings. Once done, it really is quite secure. The second time I went, I took a towel to keep the oily pillow off my seat. Make sure they don't tie the rope to something important on the bike, and that it isn't rubbing on paintwork on the frame or anything delicate.

There isn't much to do on the boat except drink and eat. Add "vomit" to the list if you suffer from sea-sickness (although as you havent' been on a boat before, you may not find this out until you're an hour out of Portsmouth and with a mere 35 hours of hell and torture to go :D). Take a good book, or use the time to plan your routes.

Standard MO is to get much too drunk on the first night, to the point of almost finding the Cabaret and disco quite enjoyable, then have a lie in and feel a bit groggy the next day, fall asleep on the sundeck and get quite bad sunburn because you don't realise how hot it is in the breeze, have an early night the second night so you can be up and breakfasted early, all bright-eyed and bushy tailed for the adventure ahead. Getting out of Bilbao is OK if you stick to the motorways, and I'd do that as a matter of course even if you intend to get onto other roads as soon as you're clear of the town.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to post a report and pictures when you get back. :thumb

Thanks to both of you who've replied.

Humbug, those places look quite nice but I don't know what the total budget is yet: Statoil are giving us a grant for it but I'd like to pay less than that. I'm trying to track down my Professor but he appears to be on holiday. (Philip, in the unlikely event you or your brother have a log in for here, get in touch please!)

Robin, the ferry sounds great fun, and the MO for that sounds just like what we'd be up for, bar the sunburn! My pal Josh is a complete milkbottle so he's going to get burnt anyway, I on the other hand will strive to attain a nice tan. Thanks for the tip about the towel. Where did you stay in Tremp?

We're not staying in Tremp because it's fun, we're staying there because it's near to our field area. If there's places in the area anyone could recommend apart from Tremp, then please post here.

I'm afraid I have no idea of the name of where we stayed. (It was a nice enough hotel, with an underground car park with a very steep ramp that nearly did for me on the way out.)

Stuart
I know Tremp very well but I would like some more information.
What is your budget, night life expectations, city expectations etc. and where will you be working around Tremp?

Back
Top Bottom