Rear wheel question

Hexme

Reaction score
Now my wife has her f650 I'm getting her to study the handbook, I want her to be able to do all the checks that are required, even though I'm sure I'll do them mostly on a weekly basis like I did for her last 4 bikes. One of the questions she asked was as well as a socket and torque wrench do you need a big allen key to stop the spindle rotating on the other side of the rear wheel? to which I replied, :confused: the handbook does not mention it. Furthermore is the allen key size the same as on the front wheel of the R1200GS as the rear of the f650?

cheers all :)

Tony: no you don't. The lock nut is 26mm and requires 100Nm torque which means I do it up as far as my wrench scale goes then heave like mad. The big allen key (which you don't need) is the same (22mm) as the 1200GS front spindle.

lawe: your link goes to the site's home page

Tim

The first time I clicked on the link, I got the homepage too.
The second time, it took me to the intended part.

Weird...

The lock nut is 26mm and requires 100Nm torque which means I do it up as far as my wrench scale goes then heave like mad. The big allen key (which you don't need) is the same (22mm) as the 1200GS front spindle.
Tim

Shouldn't that be 24mm for the lock nut? I just bought a 24mm socket and it fitted on my bike.

Instead of a special 22mm allen key it is possible to use a bolt with a 22mm head. At the other end of the bolt either use two nuts tightly mounted, or a single nut with the thread on the bolt manipulated or welded so the nut can't turn. Then use a 22mm socket to hold it.

The spark plug socket supplied in the original R1200GS toolkit fits inside the axle, and the other end can be held with a spanner. Perhaps it's available as a spare part?

Although, as you say, it is not necessary on the F650GS to hold that end of the axle.

Thanks all

You're all bloody nice chaps!

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom