Poole/Cherbourg tie down arrangements?

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sunday morning Brittany Ferries High Speed ferry - anyone know what the tie down system is? BF customer services just say as far as they know "ropes and padding"

should be.......

I went to Caen from Portsmouth with BF 2 years ago. All was provide, even a bloke to tie the bike down for you! I took a few cable ties to hold the front brake on.

All done for you. A nice steward arrives and puts a pad on the seat and lashes it to the deck with a ratchet tie-down. I usually just fasten the centre-stand to the front wheel to prevent it folding up if the weather looks a bit 'heavy'.

I've recently travelled Poole to Cherbourg and Caen to Portsmouth by BF normal ferry. I was impressed, the crew fastened the bikes using large plastic pillows over the seats, all very secure.

Brittany

I travelled with them 2 years ago from Santander to Plymouth. They strapped my bike down and in the night a kindly storm knocked it over.
£2000 worth of damage was caused and Brittany picked up the tab with no hassle whatsoever.
Good on 'em.

I've recently travelled Poole to Cherbourg and Caen to Portsmouth by BF normal ferry. I was impressed, the crew fastened the bikes using large plastic pillows over the seats, all very secure.

just back last week - same for me. great service

On Brittany they provide it all - let them do it - that way if there are any problems with it falling over you had nothing to do with stowing it for 'at sea', take what you want off the bike, wait with it until that fasten it down then leave.

If you do it yourself either with your own rachets or theirs it would imho complicate matters.

Just done Irish ferries, pleased to see proper rachets instead of old oily rope, still no cushions and still no one to lash it down for you :nono

I've been on the ferries from Portsmouth and Poole and its been different every time!! From tieing it to a bulkhead with a bit of diesel/oil soaked rope:eek: to the proper ratchet tie downs to the deck:). They will do somthing to secure the bike though!

Cable tie for the front brake is a good idea:thumb, also keep to hand some padding (gloves,towel,rags):thumb2 just in case they dont have the nice pillow thingys mentioned earlier in this thread, Ive never seen them but not been on a ferry for a couple of years!:nenau

Its always chaos!! All part of the fun and adventure:bounce1

PS theres always the debate on using the sidestand or centrestand to consider as well. (Ive always used side as my GS is the first bike with one!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom