Tobinators....which screen ?

Jam

Reaction score
I have read many a tale regarding the Tobinators and the success that people have had with this wonderful product (just sucking up!)

Before I move forward with purchasing a Tobinator kit i notice that it is possible to fit both the 1150 and Adv screen to my 1100.All that is required is the correct Tobinator kit for the screen.

Tobers can you please confirm this is correct. Are there any modifications required to the other screens for them to fit the 1100?

Asssuming (yes i know the ASS out of U and ME gag) that this is correct is there any benefit in fitting the standard 1150 or Adv screen over my original 1100 screen.

thoughts and comment please ladies and gentlemen

Cheers :beerjug:

Jam

PS Please accept my apologies if these requests have been coverd on another post. I have looked but cannot find the information i need. Being male this of course does not mean that the information is not there!

Hi Jam,

As it happens, I've just covered the same topic with another 1100 owner by email. I've pasted in my reply below:

With an 1100, you'd need the 1100 Tobinator kit. This kit enables you to fit any standard R1150GS screen or variant thereof (Wunderlich, MRA etc). You cannot use your 1100 screen with it as the lower edges of the screen curve inwards preventing the Tobinator risers from being fitted.

Reports so far are that the Tobinated standard R1150GS screen on an R1100GS produces excellent results.

You can put an Adventure screen (or variant) on as well if you wish. As the Adv screens are wider, you'll need to have some bits from the Adv Tobinator kit called "spreaders" which enable everything to fit nicely. If you want to go down this route, I'll make a kit up for you specially as I dont advertise this option on my site (mainly due to being too idle to put it up there).

I'd recommend that you try the standard R1150GS screen setup first. The Adv screen can be tricky to set up (but very nice once in the correct position). As loads of people have swapped screens, there tend to be quite a few R1150GS standard screens knocking about on bulletin boards. You can probably pick one up for £25 or so. I think a new one is about £70.

So, suggested (and cheapest!) way forward:

1) go to http://www.ukgser.com/forums/ and put a request for a standard R1150GS screen in the "For Sale or Wanted" section (or go and buy one from your local BMW dealer if you want a new one).
2) order an R1100GS Tobinator kit and send me a cheque for £45 or pay online
3) put everything together and you're buffet-free.

If you do want the Adv screen, there are fewer of these around 2nd hand (but try UKGSer anyway). Your BMW dealer will be able to get you one in a couple of days as well. Let me know and I'll sort the proper bits out for you. The price for the kit for an Adventure screen on an R1100GS will be £75 inc p&p.

I hope this is clear. There are so many options it does get a bit confusing.

Email me at tobers(at)stopthebuffeting(dot)com if you've got any more questions.

Cheers

Tobers

PS - great sucking up attempt :D

Cheers Tobers.

Top info!

Jam

PS its always nice to be appreciated

1150 screen

Hi Jam, I have a 1150 screen for sale ,only done 100 miles, yours for £25 =p&p. Have sent you a pm

1150gs screen

I have a standard screen set up on my 02 1150gs...My question is will the tobinators alone improve the performance of the standard screen enough or is the adv screen and tobinators worth the extra price of changing the screen?

Hi Denis,

My recommendation is that you try Tobinating your standard screen first. You'll find a vast improvement. This also has the benefit of being the cheapest option at £40 :)

If you later decide you want a bit more wind protection and want to go for the Adventure screen, then you can re-use the same Tobinator bits you've bought for the standard screen. You'll just need to buy some extra Adventure Tobinator "spreaders" which enable the Tobinators to work with the wider Adventure screen, and included with that will be a new pack of longer bolts. This will cost about £35 + p&p. You wont need the additional BMW screen mounts as your standard bike already has them. You dont need a whole new Tobinator kit. It's all modular - see?

The difference in price of doing it in two stages is only about a fiver (excluding the price of the Adventure screen of course - about £70 I think).

So, go for the standard screen and I'll bet you'll be very happy indeed.

Cheers

Tobers

Back
Top Bottom