Where to Start!

WAREGS

Morning All, (or afternoon depending when you read it!)

as you can see from my post count i'm new! and the fact i'm posting in here!

i need some help!

I dont have a Bike licence! (Yet) my aim is to own a GSA, having ridden off road when i was younger, i got into my cars and never took my bike licence and wanted to wait till i could do my direct access! now being 25 and in a better position to afford the bike i want thats where i'm heading!

i was looking at doing ym training through BMW, the one in wales somewhere, 7 day course? any adivce if they are good for what essentially is a complete beginner?

anyway as i work for a Company who deals soley in car and mototrbike GPS i'm off to have a look at that forum!

thanks

Tom

You're not half of Tom Tom are you? welcome to the site.

Sorry, can't advise re training but I do know that round these parts all the courses and test dates are booked up till Autumn. People are apparently trying to get a licence before the regs change in the autumn.

Good luck.

there is the direct course in wales with BMW but I'm not very up on what the law says nowadays, seems you can have different level of direct access:confused:

Yamaha do a direct access course and offer a discount on a bike once you pass, well they seem to do here not sure if that's a regional thing or not.

once you've got that there's also a wheelie school in Bristol which might be a laugh to have a go at.

try www.worldofbmw.com or search on simon pavey he's in the same building as the BMW training thing. Or try Kevin and Julia Saunders I think they run it...

Best of luck

Lo

Hi Welcome.
I was in your position 12 months ago. I did my Direct Access and now own a 650GS.
I used a school on Anglesey called "Kickstart Bike Training" Christine the woman who owns is brilliant, and a very good intructor (pretty good looking as well!) The school is based at Ty Croes Racetrack. Give her a call 01407 810 950 or 07738 494447
she can also do your CBT
Neil

Tom Tom,

well sadly i get it all the time, usually like this......

Me:

"Good morning! The Navigation Company, Tom Speaking how can i help?"

Customer:

"Thats funny i'm after a Tom Tom Tom!"

Me:

Blank Silence.......................

any way back to reality, ive looked at going on the Direct Access Course for 7 days with www.worldofbmw.co.uk i'm not fussed if its before or after the new regs on bike tests as it can only help! i think?

I just passed my test with them at the beginning of the month 1st time.. The instructors were fantastic, the instructor i had was called Tilley he was an ex-police rider and was fantastic. The bike was a 650 GS and as expected like new and so easy to ride. I highly recommend them, i took the 6 day direct access course. Now planning on doing the off-road course, think it is a different company but they are right next to each other. Touratech also have a big building next to them.

So rambling on aside, fantastic training and excellent bikes and equipment highly recommended.

sounds good! What was the accomodation like? Assuming you stayed?

Hi Waregs,
Yes i took the accommodation, its a place called Tylegarw Country guest house. Honest i have no links with the training school but this was also excellent. Most people staying there are also doing the DAS course and thats great as you can all chill out over a few beers at night talking about the days riding. Mari who runs the guest house could not do enough for you and i really mean it is a home from home. She also makes one mean breakfast, more importantly she also takes a genuine interest on how you are getting on and will spend lots of time chatting away. If i was to be really harsh i would say the location is not great if you want to go to the pub every night. But believe me after the day all you want to do is chill out and watch TV. There is a communual area where there is sky tv and beer, and plenty of bike DVDs to watch.

i spoke to my local Motorrad dealer and they recommended the palce and accomodation so if i hear good reports tehn that is most likely where i will go!

Welcome to UKGSer WareGS, good to have you with us.

I cant advise on the course but it might be a good idea to post another shout in this section of the forum or do a search through some of the existing threads in there.

Just click on the link below it'll shoot you straight over.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=251

have fun, good luck with the course, let us know how you get on. :)

Back
Top Bottom