No y-piece possible on R1200GS?

Tobers

Reaction score
Just been looking at some detailed pics of the R1200GS.

It looks like the catalyst section is welded onto the header pipes at the same points where the R1150GS has removable clamped joints.

Therefore, any catalyst replacement doesn't look like it will be a y-piece option. The cat may have a single removable connector at the front, otherwise it's a header pipe replacement as well.

Tobers

is the cat not built into that immense end can? meaning that a y-piece wouldn't be necessary anyway?

i know the lamdba senser is located further up the pipes than it used to be....

pr0ne

The way that I read the blurb was that the cat has been shifted into the chrome grain silo, so the discussions about 'Y' pieces will become a thing of the past.

Also, I seem to recall reading that there are now two probes, one for each header.

I'm interested in how they're going to make a cat work by mounting it that far from the engine - it's my understanding that a cat needs the high temperatures just outside the combustion chamber to function correctly.

I'm sure Mechanic will rapidly point out that I've got this wrong....:D

Mike

if the cat is in the end can, that should make liberating a few ponies, not to mention a bit of noise, remarkably simple shouldn't it ?

1) unbolt silencer with integral cat
2) bolt on Remus end can
3) hey presto :D

Actually - here is a bit of cut 'n' paste from the official spec about the exhaust:
==========================================
Exhaust system – sound engineering for low noise and flat-twin rumble

The exhaust system comprises of two manifolds, a pre-silencer with catalytic converter, and a tailpipe muffler. The entire system as far as the pre-silencer, fitted beneath the gearbox, is a twin-chamber configuration made of stainless steel. Weighing exactly 10.7kg or 23.6 lbs overall, the emission system is approximately 33 per cent lighter than on the former model.

Flowing through the two single manifolds, exhaust gases merge in a Y-shaped unit combining the two flow processes before continuing straight into the pre-silencer that houses the central catalytic converter. An interference tube close to the engine (between the two manifolds) provides an appropriate balance of pressure and helps boost engine torque at low and medium speeds. With cell density of 200 cell units/square inch, the metal-based catalytic converter comes with a rhodium/palladium coating combining high temperature resistance with a long service life.

By introducing a new tailpipe muffler, BMW Motorrad has succeeded in creating an ideal mix of smooth torque, low noise and pleasant sound. The interior structure of the muffler is based on the reflection principle – an inner sleeve with absorption material serving additionally to dampen high frequencies.

The muffler is oval in shape, not only for aesthetic reasons but to minimise the transmission of noise for even smoother and more pleasant riding conditions. A further special feature is the pressure-controlled valve integrated in the muffler which controls exhaust gas counter-pressure for an additional reduction of noise under the engine’s primary running conditions at medium to low engine speeds. This keeps engine noise at a lower level, but at the same time allows the rider to hear that famous flat-twin rumble that everyone appreciates so much.

A look at this pic clearly shows a welded-on collector box lurking underneath the transmission. It does look like the silencer clamps on as the current one does, but removing that collector box will need new headers too I reckon:

underside.jpg

By the way, there are two v.high res pictures (1.4Mb each) of the R1200GS at the following URLs

http://www.hogranch.com/files/Bitmaps/P0013166.jpg
http://www.hogranch.com/files/Bitmaps/P0013168.jpg

==========================================
Exhaust system – sound engineering for low noise and flat-twin rumble

The exhaust system comprises of two manifolds, a pre-silencer with catalytic converter, and a tailpipe muffler. The entire system as far as the pre-silencer, fitted beneath the gearbox, is a twin-chamber configuration made of stainless steel. Weighing exactly 10.7kg or 23.6 lbs overall, the emission system is approximately 33 per cent lighter than on the former model.

Flowing through the two single manifolds, exhaust gases merge in a Y-shaped unit combining the two flow processes before continuing straight into the pre-silencer that houses the central catalytic converter. An interference tube close to the engine (between the two manifolds) provides an appropriate balance of pressure and helps boost engine torque at low and medium speeds. With cell density of 200 cell units/square inch, the metal-based catalytic converter comes with a rhodium/palladium coating combining high temperature resistance with a long service life.

By introducing a new tailpipe muffler, BMW Motorrad has succeeded in creating an ideal mix of smooth torque, low noise and pleasant sound. The interior structure of the muffler is based on the reflection principle – an inner sleeve with absorption material serving additionally to dampen high frequencies.

The muffler is oval in shape, not only for aesthetic reasons but to minimise the transmission of noise for even smoother and more pleasant riding conditions. A further special feature is the pressure-controlled valve integrated in the muffler which controls exhaust gas counter-pressure for an additional reduction of noise under the engine’s primary running conditions at medium to low engine speeds. This keeps engine noise at a lower level, but at the same time allows the rider to hear that famous flat-twin rumble that everyone appreciates so much. [/B][/QUOTE]

Blahdy. marketing, blah!

pr0ne said:
mmmmm - sounds like they really don't want us messing with their exhaust systems!

pr0ne
I think its a case of not wanting *ANY* rider interferance - and to think we were complaining about no headlight switches on the '02 models.

Still *IF* its as good as they claim we won't be needing to fiddle with it will we :rolleyes:

The hi-res pics are cool - thanks for posting the link to those.

They clearly show the new lambda probe locations and also the fact that its a welded one-peice deal.

To kill the cat, you're going to need to remove the header pipes too.
I suspect that the muffler does bolt on though - it would be really dumb to weld that on...

There's no obvious cylinder cover protection either, which is interesting.

Finbarr.

I reckon a weld-in joining piece, running from just before the cat to the base of the silencer - upon where you would fit a REMUS -would do the job.
Basically, an elongated and extended 'y'-piece with equal length primary's.
Either weld it back on and electropolish the whole system (£50)
or design it as a push-over and clamp part.

I'm not saying it would produce the same or more power, you'd have to leave that to the big boys - then copy their design.

Somebody'll do it soon

Phil

judge said:
I think its a case of not wanting *ANY* rider interferance - and to think we were complaining about no headlight switches on the '02 models.

Still *IF* its as good as they claim we won't be needing to fiddle with it will we :rolleyes:
Wasn’t there something in The Comic (MCN) about the rice rocket manufacturers starting to manufacture bikes with tamperproof fasteners, the same way that some of the scooter manufacturers do now, to prevent people from adding after market ‘go faster’ goodies.

Unfortunately, the Hi-res photo’s (thanks Tobers) don’t show the front view of the bike, so there’s no telling how easy it would be to whip the whole system off, and do the job ‘properly’ …

… but Mr. BMW, I want to ride my new :GS in strange, wonderful and foreign parts of the world where lead free petrol may not be available. My idea of off-roading isn’t a trip to tesco capark.

Isn’t progress wonderful … sometimes :nenau

under the seat seems the bike is a bit empty

anybody to make an under the seat exchaust?

:)

Walus
The Cat is not in the silencer. To get rid of the Cat you will need to change the 'header' pipes.

I don't see why you couldn't have a "y piece" made, chop the existing header pipes off of the cat part, and clamp your new y piece between the pipes on the silencer. If you wanted to.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than what full aftermarket systems are going for.

Mouse said:
Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than what full aftermarket systems are going for.

Are you sure? The header pipes weren't that expensive if I remember correctly. and to have a Y-piece made specially, and ruin your original pipe in the way... sounds like a bad and expensive idea to me.. :p

If my memory serves someone asked if they could fit aftermarket header pipes and use the original silencer on it - don't know if anything happened with that either... :eek

harry said:
Walus
The Cat is not in the silencer. To get rid of the Cat you will need to change the 'header' pipes.

I can attest to that.. The cat is combined with the headers, and I have a Remus system that elimiates the cat from the headers by replacing them. The Remus headers have 2 holes for the Lambda sensors. The pressure valve in the BMW cannister has been deleted. Black tipped silencers had it, the later models with silver tipped silencers do not have it.

Back
Top Bottom